wolvy

Garth Ennis Loves Superheroes and Soldiers and Lesbians

It's not like DC are so top-heavy with quality writers that they can afford to be dicking the likes of Ennis around either - wonder what the odds of this ending up under Marvel's Icon imprint are.

I would've thought he'd take it straight over to Avatar. They seem to be the go-to boys for stuff that DC wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

Speaking of which, has the .303 trade come out yet?

Guest spiderlegs

Don't panic, sweeties! I'm here, darlings!

But I only have the official word (no insider info, alas--I imagine after all the promised backing this title was supposed to get--including 2 or more spin-offs--they are pretty let down). I heard from Darick today, in fact, but he was just wishing me "get well" from my puhnuhmonia. He didn't mention the other thing, and I certainly weren't gwine to push it.

It became obvious that DC was not the right home for 'The Boys'. DC is being good about reverting our rights so we can find a new publisher and we're in the process of doing that now. I'm continuing to work exclusively for DC in the meantime. I want to thank Scott Dunbier and Ben Abernathy at Wildstorm for all their hard work.

the end

I'm glad they retain creative control, but the publisher should be held to the same sort of contractual obligations the creative team must bear. I mean, these guys weren't a couple of greenies on their first title--the two of them will go down in comic history for the work they've done. DC should at least be accountable for all the promises made, or a satisfactory concession (which might have occurred). Oh, wait--didn't this mega corporation make that awful "Konstanteen" movie? So, staying on the level and consistent means nothing to them--that's right! I forgot. It's about cash and fucking over anybody--no matter how much they've done or devoted themselves to that mega corp--to recoup a black ink bottom line.

I LOVE thees [over-used word]*ry!

*TIME-WARNER--buncha pussies! Small because it's so obvious to most.

Yes, I'm biased.

Don't panic, sweeties! I'm here, darlings!

But I only have the official word (no insider info, alas--I imagine after all the promised backing this title was supposed to get--including 2 or more spin-offs--they are pretty let down). I heard from Darick today, in fact, but he was just wishing me "get well" from my puhnuhmonia. He didn't mention the other thing, and I certainly weren't gwine to push it.

It became obvious that DC was not the right home for 'The Boys'. DC is being good about reverting our rights so we can find a new publisher and we're in the process of doing that now. I'm continuing to work exclusively for DC in the meantime. I want to thank Scott Dunbier and Ben Abernathy at Wildstorm for all their hard work.

the end

I'm glad they retain creative control, but the publisher should be held to the same sort of contractual obligations the creative team must bear. I mean, these guys weren't a couple of greenies on their first title--the two of them will go down in comic history for the work they've done. DC should at least be accountable for all the promises made, or a satisfactory concession (which might have occurred). Oh, wait--didn't this mega corporation make that awful "Konstanteen" movie? So, staying on the level and consistent means nothing to them--that's right! I forgot. It's about cash and fucking over anybody--no matter how much they've done or devoted themselves to that mega corp--to recoup a black ink bottom line.

I LOVE thees [over-used word]*ry!

*TIME-WARNER--buncha pussies! Small because it's so obvious to most.

Yes, I'm biased.

It's really not the first time it's happened tho. Fallen Angel was canned and PAD took it over to IDW.

I'm glad they retain creative control, but the publisher should be held to the same sort of contractual obligations the creative team must bear.

Well hang on a sec there, as you said yourself neither Darrick nor Ennis are new at this so they must've known just exactly what it was they were signing up for when they took The Boys to DC. If DC breeched any particular terms of the contract, then the creative team should seek any and all recompense they're owed.

As for spin-offs, well it was far too early in the life of The Boys to expect to see anything like that!

Good luck with the Pneumonia, was hit with a bad dose of that a few years back, nasty business.

Surely the company's right to drop the comic without notice and for any reason will be part of those contractual obligations?

I would imagine so, yes, but Spider seemed to be suggesting otherwise.

Care of The Beat -

It’s become obvious to all concerned that The Boys should never have been published at DC, and to their credit they’re working hard to release the rights so that Darick and I can find the book a new home. We’re already looking at offers from a number of publishers, and plan to return with #7 and the first trade collection in a matter of a few months.

Thank you to everyone who’s bought and supported The Boys to date. I’ve gotten a real kick out of the response we’ve gotten over the first six issues, and I’m looking forward to getting stuck into the next fifty-four. Believe me, what we’ve got coming up will make #1-6 look like a quiet evening on Sesame Street.

One other thing: I want to say thank you to Ben Abernathy, Scott Dunbier and Jim Lee for all their help and support. Good guys, pleasant to deal with, never anything less than gentlemen. I’m going to miss doing the book with them

Why is he thanking them? They canned his book at 6 issues.

"I'd like to thank my boss for firing me."

Because he still wants to get work in the future? And because the people involved probably weren't the ones doing the cancelling? And because they're being nice enough to give over the rights, something that they don't actually have to do?

James touched on it but he thanked the Wildstorm editors, not the DC ones.

He should've been thanking anyone in shouting distance for publishing that shite.

There's a plethora of idiots around the web right now bemoaning the fact that DC aren't publishing a Boys trade - seemingly oblivious to the factt that their insistance on returning the rights of the property to Ennis/Roberston prevents them from doing same.

Guest spiderlegs

Right, ultimately it IS DC's prerogative however they want to treat the title. I'm glad they've allowed the Boys who created The Boys to shop it around.

Here are some of those other web laments to which JMac referred:

Darick,

Just passing along my comments from the retailer forum over what seems like a rare misstep for DC.

Although I am one of DC's biggest and loudest supporters, canceling The Boys is one of a handful of moves they've made in the last few years that I'm very disappointed in. Although this book is obviously not for kids, it was being pushed as a book that would out-Preacher Preacher, and that's not something you can say lightly. I don't know what they thought they would get out of this insane creative team, but it's everything I expected, as disgusting as it is. Regardless, it is DC's decision to discontinue publishing and it is cool of them to free up the rights, but this has been one of my best sellers since it first came out. We sold over 150 copies of the first issue (three times our X-Men numbers) and continue to sell about 80 copies a month, so this really hurts us. I know the several months between issues is really going to cut into sales and lose us quite a bit of potential sales.

As odd as this is, The Boys has been the first comic book ever read by about five or six of my newer customers. Mostly in the 19 to 21 age range, which are customers I NEED more of. They are mostly friends of newer customers who had this insanity shoved in their face and then raced in here to buy their own copies. While two of them only read Boys and another comic or two, the rest have gone on to pick up all the Preacher trades and many other Vertigo and similar trades. Because of the Boys, they've moved on to many other books, and I really think it's a shame that DC is backing down now. I think the damage is done, and even those that don't care for the title have said they've enjoyed making money off it. This hurts a lot because while a lot of people have gotten burnt out on super-hero books, this books' sales have been insanely steady and have showed a tiny amount of attrition after the first two or three issues. I sell more of this than Action, Batman, Teen Titans, Superman/Batman, Astonishing, Wolverine, Wolverine Origins and most of DC and Marvel's bestsellers and I'm going to miss one of the most dependable books on the market making me money like clockwork (six issues in five months so far) and DC's usual professionalism to keep this book available. Hopefully Image picks this up and allows the book to stay as crazy as it has been.

I don't get to say this often, so I'll say it loud. I'M VERY DISAPPOINTED IN DC'S DECISION HERE.

Evil Rick Shea

Famous Faces & Funnies

Melbourne, FL

We've been flooded with great offers and will be deciding soon on the new home for 'the Boys'. We will be back and soon. Hopefully everyone will be there to welcome us back.

I can't really discuss the details of all of this as I am remaining under contract with DC who overall are being very cool about this. Other than the awkwardness of the the BOYS being canceled abruptly (and no 7 wasn't printed) I am enjoying my work with DC very much.

Being that the book is creator owned from the start, we are working to amicably get our rights reverted to us and choosing our new publisher. I'm still working with Wildstorm for the foreseeable future and doing a couple issues of "52" for DCU, with more projects on the way after that.

Once The Boys gets a new home, I'll be doing the book and projects for DCU And WS as long as every one's happy with that arrangement.

Garth isn't kidding when he says "Believe me, what we've got coming up will make #1-6 look like a quiet evening on Sesame Street."

Q: Your fave non-Marvel title at the moment?

JQ: "The Boys!"

http://www.newsarama.com/NewJoeFridays/NewJoeFridays32.html

BAD BOYS

Okay, you waited all weekend like good children. So what did happen with "The Boys" then?

This relatively-new creator-owned mature readers series by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson published by Wildstorm told the stories of a group of people whose lives had been destroyed by superheroes and were taken government-sanctioned acts of revenge. It also portrayed said superheroes, filling the roles of familiar DC icons, as sexual and moral deviants. Quite right too.

In the past, DC Comics have not taken kindly to their DC icons being abused in such a way, especially publicly. There is still a major grudge at the company towards Joe Quesada over sexually derogatory comments he made about Superman and Batman in a newspaper. The series "The Authority" from Wildstorm was repeatedly neutered after it gained mainstream publicity over Mark Millar's use of the Superman and Batman archetypes, and gay couple, Apollo and Midnighter. But "The Boys" hadn't yet received such publicity - so what was the issue?

Well, it wasn't sales. Ex-Wildstorm and Authority editor John Layman wrote as much on Millarworld "I guarantee you it had nothing to do with sales and everything to do with content." Indeed, sales have been good, the book has been outperforming most other Wildstorm titles and issues 4 and 5 has seen the usual decline of sales reverse and start heading up. This looked like a book with a strong future ahead of it. And indeed, it still does. Just not at DC.

Last year, LITG reported that #3 of "The Boys" was slightly delayed from Wildstorm's end due to content worries - and whether or not Paul Levitz would allow the book to be published. It seems clear that there had been some issues regarding the title, promoted as "out-preachering Preacher", a book from Ennis that Levitz had previously described as not to his taste. Of course, Preacher was DC-superhero-archetype free. After internal pressure at DC, the book was passed. But this event put the title more onto Levitz's radar.

At the beginning on January, the decision came down to cancel the book due to content issues in material that had been printed, combined with the likelihood of those issues getting worse and worse. Specifically, presenting DC superhero archetypes in a severely immoral fashion. As a result, a move to Vertigo wasn't on the cards either.

I learnt about the decision shortly afterwards, but was asked to keep quiet, so as to smooth over the transition from DC to another publisher. Although the book is creator owned, such contracts at DC make it almost impossible for a book to leave DC without the publisher's agreement. "Fallen Angel" and "2020 Visions" did, "Skreemer" and "Epicurus The Sage" didn't. And it was feared that comics press publicity of the situation could affect the ease of transition. And hey, I liked "The Boys" a lot. However with the expected date for #7 creeping nearer and nearer (indeed, Diamond's shipping status still has it listed for this week, at time of print) and with a number of people coming to me with the news, the situation was becoming untenable. Newsarama broke the news on Wednesday.

So which home for "The Boys"? What about Marvel? Garth Ennis has a good history with their MAX line (though Darick's has been quite unfortunate). And the Icon line might also suit a creator owned property and has similarly few issues with extreme content. However, part of DC's agreeing to readily release the creator-owned book, is that it not move to Marvel. DC also wouldn't be happy with Darick Robertson, under an exclusive DC agreement, working for Marvel either.

Currently the two favourite options are Dyamite and Avatar, but there are quite a few other names ratcheting up. This is a publishing property quite a lot of people are going to fight over. But with so much paperwork at DC still to go through, it's going to take some time to come out the other side.

Darick Robertson has been working in advance on this title - which initially allowed the book to publish fortnightly, and the current four week schedule - and is currently inking #9 and #10. Which should also give Darick a little breathing space to fit in his DC commitments wherever the book lands.

The whole situation does seem rather rough on Wildstorm. After the "Authority" conflicts died down, they turned a corner with DC, behaved like good little soldiers, did DC's bidding, but seemingly with little in return. With constant pressure to create a hit, when they do, they find it chopped down to protect a brand that no one else even saw being threatened.

Expect a big meeting between DC and Wildstorm personnel very shortly to try and resolve the issues - or put them out of their misery.

Neither Darick Robertson, Garth Ennis or anyone from Wildstorm provided content or comment for this article.

Garth isn't kidding when he says "Believe me, what we've got coming up will make #1-6 look like a quiet evening on Sesame Street."

Oh boy, can't wait. :rolleyes:

Guest spiderlegs

I just want The Seven to become a bloody shit smear. That's what I'm looking forward to. Oh, and Wee Hughie getting his revenge, of course...

tim1.jpg

Attaboy, Tim! er...Hughie!

Guest spiderlegs

Coolness!

The easy thing to say here is the “Boys are Back” so I’ll get that out of the way at the start. Now, I’ve known both Garth and Darick for well over a decade, so not only was I honored that Dynamite was even in the running to provide a new home for The Boys, but when both Garth and Darick decided to actually work with Dynamite to not only continue, but collect the existing material, I became beyond ecstatic. In addition to Garth and Darick, I would like to thank DC Comics and the guys at Wildstorm who helped to make the transition a smooth one for Garth, Darick and ourselves. I also want to thank the fans who so vocally made their support known over the last few weeks and I ask them to stay tuned for news on the continuation. I promise it will be worth the wait, as Garth and Darick continue to deliver their vision of The Boys.

Nick Barrucci President, Publisher DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

In other news, Chronicles Of Wormwood is Garth Ennis at both his best and worst - featuring a likeable lead with an interesting supporting cast who isn't adverse to the nastier things in life...and a rubbish sex scene and a man with a penis for a nose. Oh, and whale sperm. Lots of whale sperm.

Streets ahead of The Boys with some real potential to be, y'know, really quite good indeed.

a man with a penis for a nose.

Really? Because if so, Ennis is now officially Beyond Parody.

Ah, fair enough. I'll probably check it out if it makes it to TPB - the concept didn't really grab me, and I've been a bit burned out on him lately, but I'm always in for Garf's work when he's on form.