wolvy

Garth Ennis Loves Superheroes and Soldiers and Lesbians

If you've not read it beyond the the first year, don't bother. It's only gotten good considering. Before that it was just alternated between juvenile humor, gratuitous sordidness and condensed exposition.

Still, if you want to read it, best jump in at #30.

I disagree because there is a lot of continuity you'll miss. I did just that-I read up to issue 12 or 13 and got tired of it and dropped it. Then I picked it up in the mid or late 30s and was lost about some things. I've got the trades now, though, so I would recommend reading them in trades. It's traded all the way up to issue #38.

The last issue of Boys was... Good. Not by comparison, even. Just actually good. I mean it pays off something that happened forty three issues ago, but still.

So now The Boys is good again. God, this series is like an abusive lover that shows you tender affection once in a while just to keep you hesitant to walk out on her.

Highland Laddie is still crap, though. Do we need six issues to reveal the drug dealer is Hughie's dad?

He's also got 67 issues on Punisher Max, which might be stretching it what other writers coming after him.

Still, 60 issue (The Boys will get there) runs on four titles is impressive. No writer with even two can come to mind.

I also now remember how I love Hitman. Thanks, John.

I don't mean to be rude, I just need to make sure that you know what creator-owned means, because The Punisher is the antithesis of creator-owned and the pinnacle of work-for-hire.

How about Terry Moore? Strangers In Paradise lasted a while, and I think his current series is coming up to forty issues.

Pity Girl Genius is an online comic or you could make a case for Phil Foglio over that and Xxxenophile as well.

If we're counting non creator owned stuff like The Punisher and Hitman, then you could make a pretty good case for Marv Wolfman as well: Tomb of Dracula went over seventy issues (even if he didn't turn up for the first eight, that's still a good run) and he was writing Teen Titans for what seemed like forever.

How about Terry Moore? Strangers In Paradise lasted a while, and I think his current series is coming up to forty issues.

Echo's in the late 20s at the moment, and will end at 30. Strangers in Paradise went on a little too long, to be honest.

I've been trying to catch up with 'Love & Rockets' recently - now, that's long-run creator-owned comics.

An obvious one as well, I really should have thought of that.

How long did American Flagg run for? I'm trying to think what else First published that lasted a while, as that was all creator owned stuff. Grimjack went on a bit, but what else was there?

I believe the question was, who had written three creator owned comics that have gone over fifty issue.

I love Terry Moore but he's only done one,The Hernadez brothers only did one and Chaykin only did one, and counting non C-O is cheating.

My gut tells me that no one has completed this feat because of the dubious status of Hitman.

Anyone read The Boys' 50th issue?

Refreshingly (and understandably) non-celebratory, just another piece of the story arc. Mallory's characterization ultimately caught me by surprise, I expected something more tough, but it was pretty nuanced, while not exactly original. It seems Butcher's always been the prick in the team.

Oh, and that John Higgins pin-up art was deliciously gross.

On another note, which are the best Ennis war comics? I really wanna try some. War Stories and Battlefields are the consensus, right? Which story arcs, exactly? Only read Battlefields' Dear Billy and I thought it was excellent.

I believe the question was, who had written three creator owned comics that have gone over fifty issue.

I love Terry Moore but he's only done one,The Hernadez brothers only did one and Chaykin only did one, and counting non C-O is cheating.

My gut tells me that no one has completed this feat because of the dubious status of Hitman.

So what about Alan Moore? The League Of Rum Coves book probably doesn't quite stretch it out to the equivalent of thirty issues (though how many issues of Lost Girls were there for the comics publication of that?), but there's Promethea, Top Ten and Tom Strong, which I think all lasted thirty issues. There's probably other stuff as well.

Anyone read The Boys' 50th issue?

Refreshingly (and understandably) non-celebratory, just another piece of the story arc. Mallory's characterization ultimately caught me by surprise, I expected something more tough, but it was pretty nuanced, while not exactly original. It seems Butcher's always been the prick in the team.

Oh, and that John Higgins pin-up art was deliciously gross.

On another note, which are the best Ennis war comics? I really wanna try some. War Stories and Battlefields are the consensus, right? Which story arcs, exactly? Only read Battlefields' Dear Billy and I thought it was excellent.

Dead Billy is the best of the bunch, really, The Tankies comes in at a close second. Read the first three series, I say, the latter three, I'd take or leave.

Every issue of War Story is stand-alone, and superb, but my personal favorites are D-Day Dogers, Screaming Eagles, Johann's Tiger and Condors. If you can find a collection of those, pick it up, but the whole series is worth your money.

Punisher: Born about The Punisher's last day in Vietnam is also very good.

I second Husamuddin's answer above, with the exception that I thought "The Firefly and His Majesty" in volume 2 of Battlefields was well worth reading for the way it depicted tank battles. And welcome aboard. :hattip:

If we're having The Punisher: Born, can I get away with mentioning the two issues of Preacher that deal with the protagonist's father's experiences in Vietnam?

Highland Laddie is still crap, though. Do we need six issues to reveal the drug dealer is Hughie's dad?

Well, it didn't go there. It's still a heavy possibility, of course.

Cracking little side-story, I thought. The final issue got several 'heheh's, one 'ooh!', and a manly muffled sob out of me.

Cracking little side-story, I thought. The final issue got several 'heheh's, one 'ooh!', and a manly muffled sob out of me.

Despite the genital mutilation (how many times, Garf?) and gull vomit projected into a human mouth (I LOL'd, btw), this has been the sweetest Ennis' been in a while, right? The character work has been pretty cool, and the examination of love/hate towards one's previously idealized past (or some shit like that) was written in a compelling way.

It's been so weird to watch this comic change through time. I lost my patience with it in Herogasm (thought it was going nowhere and fell flat), but after that, Ennis upped his game. I'm 101% sure this is gonna read a hell of a lot better in one sitting. To be honest, it's amazingly ambitious. I mean, which other comics put alternate history, political thriller, non-sappy romance, gross-out comedy and superhero commentary in the blender? One could argue that it bits more than it can chew or that some of those elements cancel each other out or whatever, but hey, since the The Innocents arc, it's really working. This mini included, save that drug smuggling business that added like 0% to the story.

Oh, yes, I (almost) sobbed too. The ending was just devastating. Plus I'm a sucker for mother/father issues in fiction, if not ham-fisted. Which this wasn't.

And thanks for the welcome, JasonT! And to the rest of you for the recommendations. Already read Born and the Preacher stuff anyway :).

'ooh!' indeed.

Was that him, or was it something working for him, I wonder?

I liked Hughie going after the dealer, and then later flashing his badge at the coppers. Is he about to get interesting, I wonder.