wolvy

Garth Ennis Loves Superheroes and Soldiers and Lesbians

Last issue of Butcher Baker had an actually well done scene of a fight to the death between a grown man and a heat-visioned fetus.

That's a sentence you don't see a lot, even on the internet...

Last issue of Butcher Baker had an actually well done scene of a fight to the death between a grown man and a heat-visioned fetus.

Read this last night, brutal scene - it's a shame that a significant chunk of the main series has been devoted to the worst of Garth's excesses cause this is the good stuff right here.

I wonder if the lad has ever considered going to get his bonce checked over. You know, to see if all the gears in the train actually link together?.

I meant to comment about this sooner, but I re-read issue 59, and I think it might be the single best issue of the Boys. It is the final chapter of The Big Ride, when the Boys and the Seven are about to throw down hardcore. A "beloved" character is murdered, as is one of the members of the Seven. And even Little Hughie goes off on Butcher and the Boys after feeling like he's the butt of their jokes. There's just so much going on, and it has some of Ennis' best signature devices. And unfortunately, it leaves you wanting more.

Exactly! One of the subtly (is that spelling correct? it doesn't look right) creepiest endings I've ever read.

Wow, I guess not a lot of the repartee between The Shadow and Margo Lane is going to be left unsullied by visual extreme.

I remember reading a Phillip Jose Farmer short story once, that was obviously based on the Shadow and Lane, and graphic it was indeed.

Farmer loves his pulp a lot more than Ennis seems to, to be fair.

That said, there's no Mature Readers line on that cover, so Ennis might be required to tone his schtick down a tad, particularly as the character is Street & Smith's intellectual property, not his or Dynamite's. That didn't do Hitman or the Dan Dare miniseries any harm, and could work nicely here as well.

Oh there's alot more to Garf than dick and fart jokes. It's too bad that's all he's really known for.

Oh there's alot more to Garf than dick and fart jokes. It's too bad that's all he's really known for.

Absolutely, so something where the copyright holders won't let him do that can't fail to be a good thing, really. It might inspire him to raise his game a bit and pay more attention to the other stuff he's good at instead...

Which is funny. It seems he's brought his game at Dynamite with stuff like Battlefields, Dan Dare, 7 Brothers, (not The Boys). I'm sure this will be top notch.

Who knows what evil lurks in the bowels of men? The Shadow knows!!!

Or even Who knows what evil lurks in the bowels of men? The Shadows' Dick-nose!!!

lol.

Who knows what evil lurks in the bowels of men? The Shadow knows!!!

Or even Who knows what evil lurks in the bowels of men? The Shadows' Dick-nose!!!

lol.

BWAHAHA ok, I give in. You have won. Well played. :hattip:

Wow, ouch...the Boys are down a...boy... now, and the shit done hit the fan!