wolvy

Garth Ennis Loves Superheroes and Soldiers and Lesbians

Not really a Garth thing, but a spinoff from his Jennifer Blood:

Ninjettes1.jpg

Ninjettes at CBR

Colour preview art

It's not the sort of thing I'd normally give a crap about, but Ninjettes is distinguished by its writer, Al Ewing, who writes for 2000AD. Al's work is clever, well-crafted and insane. Check out Zombo for a good example.

0021056f.jpeg

Reveals out the ass in this one. 3 artists, lots of deaths. 5 more issues and just one arc left til the Boys are mothballed.

[ Spoiler : Why does Frenchie have both arms on the cover? ]

[ Spoiler : Why does Frenchie have both arms on the cover? ]

Same reason you used spoiler tags.

Certainly a lot of shocking swerves. We've passed the point long ago of thinking this series might ever hold a candle to Punisher MAX, Hitman, or even Preacher, but I suppose it'd be a cool film.

Jings!

I've been enjoying the arse out of The Boys. There's been a few longueurs, maybe, but it's been a good ride.

I'll have to dig out the old Marshall Law once it's finished though.

The Shadow was great. This feels like war story Garf. Straight to business, no dick or fart jokes, bad ass characters. Go pick it up today.

Aww, poor Wee Hughie.

Yes. Poor Hughie, indeed.

Oh: Ennis himself commenting that very issue of the comic (double entendre: Hughie's issue and the 66th Boys issue). Pretty interesting: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/03/garth-ennis-commentary-on-boys/

"No doubt Hughie’s tendency to mope and turn inwards is a source of frustration to many readers, all used to comic heroes who learn from experience and develop into fully-rounded characters ready to handle anything. In my experience this is like no one who’s ever existed in real life; even the most capable people either maintain or eventually return to their essential flaws. I doubt any twenty-something lad unused to trauma and violence could simply absorb it straightaway, and if he did become hardened or inured it would be as a different, less sensitive person. In other words, Hughie’s bizarre triumph is that he remains Hughie."

And I think I will miss Braun's art in the final issue, which will be drawn by Robertson (already stated somewhere in the thread, wasn't it?). Darick's art looked its best in Transmetropolitan... possibly because someone else inked it.

is that what it is, inking? i like his art, but it just seems like the Boys is very dark-and i'm not talking about subject matter, like they print on black paper, it seems. does he just spill the ink over the page and scrape it off or what? i read transmetropolitan earlier this year and his art seemed a lot different. lighter and crisper.

You know, every time I read a collection of The Boys, I can't help imagining this conversation having taken place.

[Garth Ennis] No, they have no redeeming qualities, I fucking hate each and every one of them, contempt isn't the strong enough word for what I feel for them all.

[Garths friend] Come on man, those same readers you are consumed with contempt for pay for your lifestyle, and after all, they are only reading something entertaining, they probably have other interests too you know

[G.E.] No, they are all vermin with tiny fucking minds, fuck, they are so pathetic they would literally give me money for my used toilet paper

[G. F.] Calm down man

[G.E.] NO. NO. FUCK THEM, I bet I could write anything, just anything, and they would lap it up. *Gets out a pen and paper* Right then, I am going to make a list of the most disgusting shit, you help, and then I am going to give it the slightest bit of padding with some semi thoughtful references to the Vietnam War, Big Corporations, and Politics . . . and you watch the people pay me a tonnes of money for it.

[G.F.] *reads list, bursts out laughing* No way, hey, you are a talented guy for a crazy man, but you are never going to get the people to pay to read a comic where this sort of sick shit goes on, you are insane.

I think he just likes a good (or bad) dick joke, either you're down with his humour or you're not.

Personally I think he needs to fire his inner-editor as he's let the dumb stuff run riot at the expense of nearly everything he's written since Hitman.

He's had some shining moments since then. The Battlefields stuff he did for Dynamite has been outstanding and the Shadow looks promising.

He was the sort of fella who told sick dirty jokes at funerals. Or whose pet name for a girlfriend was candycuunt, whether she liked it or not.

Latest issue of Fury Max was excellent. I have a feeling a lot of people are missing out on this and the last series becasue of how dumb the first series was.

I'm waiting for the bind up, to be honest.

(I can't see a lot of point in collecting Marvel minis as floppies anymore: they'll be collected a month or two after the series finishes, right?)

Yeah, they've been pretty good about collecting. Thing is, if you like war stories, and nobody does it better than Garf, then the last series and this one are well worth checking out. The end of this 3rd issue is just...wow.

Thanks for the tip, Lou. I'll definitely be getting that one, then.

the boys looks to end rather intensely. 3 issues to go and some big things happened. another dead character who's been around since #7.

Surprised? Really? I thought it was made obvious from pretty early on that that was where it was likely to be going.

I have read a lot of the stories, and I only got the idea that[ Spoiler : he was a nasty pragmatical barstard who had a particular hard-on for his daddy. Who I guessed was the homelander prick. ]

I had no idea of anything else particular about the character.

I wouldn't call him a pragmatist in any real sense of the word.