wolvy

Garth Ennis Loves Superheroes and Soldiers and Lesbians

Hmmm. In the literary traditions I am soaked in, slinker, it is meaning something slightly different when you say "You pragmatical barstard" to someone. More "definition b and c", here. With the conotation that the person is choosing to be that way, and that it is a fault he is happy with, or content with, in himself.

prag·mat·ic(prabreve.gifg-mabreve.giftprime.gifibreve.gifk) adj. 1. Dealing or concerned with facts or actual occurrences; practical.2. Philosophy Of or relating to pragmatism.3. Relating to or being the study of cause and effect in historical or political events with emphasis on the practical lessons to be learned from them.4. Archaic a. Active; busy.b. Active in an officious or meddlesome way.c. Dogmatic; dictatorial.n.

shows what you know! it's pragmastic! and the noun is pragplasm. the adverb it pragishlish and the intransitive verb is pragamagmaing.

Act like I don't know nothing.

No, I am sorry dude, I didn't mean that I was teaching you something you couldn't have known. I should have high-lighted the word, Archaic in that list, to explain what I meant by saying "the literary traditions I am soaked in".

I just read a lot of old, archaic books full of old English-from-England slang. And I have come across the use "Pragmatical bastard" a few times in them. And so I used it to refer to [ Spoiler : Butcher ] because of how strongly he reminds me of 18th century bully-boys and brutes.

Pragmatical writes all the music for Lords of Acid, right?

No, that's Praga Khan.

Pragmatical writes all of the music for the far duller Coldplay.

For some reason I thought Stitched would have ended by now. It seems to be meandering toward completion. but who the hell knows?

Aren't you going to buy the trade anyway? Once I get the traded volume, the floppies can go to hell unless they have some kind of projected value in the future. But the boom and bust comics collector craze finally busted didn't it? They don't print nearly as many copies of an issue they did in the 90s. I know some comics have value. I think the Boys first issues back when Wildstorm published it before cancelling it and it moving to Dynamite-maybe that first Dynamite issue-might be worth some money. I don't see any Avatar title becoming valuable in the future, do you? I'm not saying by the trade and throw away the floppies, though it sounds like that, but it just seems, especially in your case, once the trade comes out, incomplete floppy sequences become inconsequential. When I was poor, I had a hard time keeping up with most of the titles I read. I got way behind on Walking Dead and Hellblazer, but I kept buying hellblazer. I got behind on Morrison's X-Men and something else. Oh, Books of Magic, Life during wartime. I was happy when the trades came out so I could read the issue(s) I missed. So, I'm stoned and basically made a point I just argued with myself. Damn science thread has me spilling over other places too. :icon_wink:

word. I get high and debate myself. It's what I do recently.

prag·mat·ic(prabreve.gifg-mabreve.giftprime.gifibreve.gifk) adj. 1. Dealing or concerned with facts or actual occurrences; practical.2. Philosophy Of or relating to pragmatism.3. Relating to or being the study of cause and effect in historical or political events with emphasis on the practical lessons to be learned from them.4. Archaic a. Active; busy.b. Active in an officious or meddlesome way.c. Dogmatic; dictatorial.n.

My granddad used to use the word pragmatic in that sense. Funny how quickly things become "archaic".

[ Spoiler : So now ALL of the Boys are dead except for Hughie and he has just concluded that it's up to him to take out Butcher. ] Not very believable stuff at all. Next issue is its last, innit? #70?

According to issue #70, #71 is the last issue. It's the 6th and final issue of the current story arc.

I've heard Ennis is writing The Shadow.

Is this true? I like The Shadow as a character. Will he spoil it with too much gore and cursing and blunt sexual jokes?

I've heard Ennis is writing The Shadow.

Is this true? I like The Shadow as a character. Will he spoil it with too much gore and cursing and blunt sexual jokes?

No, it's qute good so far.

So, issue #72 is the denouement of the Boys because the story ended in #71. Iguess #72 is for the original creative team to shake hands and part ways. I wish I'd known about all the behind the scenes drama that happened on that book, but overall, it seems more interesting than the title itself. My younger friend here locally sort of knows the artist and a little bit of what happened, but he's tightlipped about it. the artist had some kind of emotional outburst that pissed off Ennis and the Dynamite brass is all I've been able to find out, and that's on the artist's facebook page, or it were a while back. I tried to join his forum but a crimpy moist towlette of an admin said i were someone else using me as an alt, and "alts are forbidden." I think I told that tale here before. But to be booted off the title you co-created completely until the last issue. I've never met the guy, but if he's anything like that feller I know, he must be a hothead. hee hee. that's the thing though--without emotional fuckers, nothing means as much does it? yes, you can go overboard on emotion as this artist did (I'm not using names for a good reason, so follow along), as anybody is capable of really. but emotional responses are what stoke an army before winning a desperate bloody battle or a championship match. It wins you an oscar, or makes you write that one song that people will remember forever. It's such a fine point at the end it can go either way. Emotions get red cards, don't they? they cause a champ to bite an ear off as he gropes for a bottom he's yet to hit. It can be all glass eyed, bloodshot staring into a webcam and repeating "winning" so often and so unconvincingly, self parody becomes obvious even to parodied.

And it's also the fulcrum of the next to last issue of The Boys, #71. See, several things pissed me off about this issue, the first being the action which took place between the end of #70 and the start of #71. Or else I somehow got a page ripped out of my copy. I won't spoil it, but we're here at 70 and then we're over here having us a nice 22 page long chat about "sob sob sob" "don't be a kuunt, ya kuunt" and the inevitable emotional outburst response that ends the story, except for some unneeded denouement.

I'm not a fan of the denouement, "life after the movie ends," here's what "happily ever after" or "a sentence befitting the crime" looks like. The only one that ever worked for me was the section of "World According to Garp" called, fittingly "Life After Garp." That was a denouement Kurt Vonnegut would have loved (especially since it was written by his protege). I won't pronounce issue #72 of the Boys as any sucking or successful act until I've read it, but at this point, I don't see the point, other than as I led off with in this post, it's for an amicable parting of the ways between the creators who used to be buddies but had that relationship strained by their job and one day when an artist really blew his cool.

But The Boys are dead as of the completion of its unnecessary denouement in November. Long live the Boys. Long live the Girls too, because not once were they ever mentioned on the cover of this book.

[ Spoiler : Men are boys ] was a great line from #71, I'm surprisingly annoyed at the thought of just how good this series could've been had Ennis reined it in even just a little.