wolvy

Garth Ennis Loves Superheroes and Soldiers and Lesbians

Some of his puerile stuff is absolutely glorious; I just wish he had a better sense for when it isn't. I guess it's the fact that The Boys relies so heavily on it that's made me realise how often it isn't.

It's strange. Sometimes he seems like the grand master of the filthy joke, but other times the attempts are just... weak. Often within pages of one another. But it's humour, so it's all taste, I guess.

Also probably a side effect of being prolific; you can't hone everything into gold*.

Come to think of it, a lot of his collaborators are similarly unreliable. Warren Ellis, Darick Robertson and Steve Dillon all veer wildly between the amazing and the phoned-in. And it could just be that they set their bar so high that there's no way they could always reach it.

*N.B. gold is created by honing

I'm a huge Ennis slappy and I couldn't make it through 6 issues of The Boys. I heard it got good at some point but I am not sifting through 60 issues to find out.

Now Rover Red Charlie, on the other hand, is going to be pretty good. It's the tale of three canine pals who have to make sense of their world now that a strange epidemic has come and caused all the feeders to off themselves. There is a 75% chance that I will cry before all 6 issues are done.

Oh god he's gonna turn his maudlin dial up to eleven isn't he

But yes this sounds highly promising

I'm a huge Ennis slappy and I couldn't make it through 6 issues of The Boys. I heard it got good at some point but I am not sifting through 60 issues to find out.

Lou, i picked up the Boys again aroubd #35-40 after dropping it after 10 or so issues. I'd say from 40- 72 ( or whenever it ended) probably 3/4ths of it was some damn good comic. still satisfyingly violent but less sexually perverse-which usually doesn't bother me until Ennis gets hold of it. i can honestly say i'm a big enough perv that it shouldn't bother me, but Ennis' graphic sexual depictions are always his least appealing storytelling device to me. other writers attempt it less frequently than Ennis does and with better results. the frequency at which Ennis uses them, though, means he has to use ideas that aren't as good just due to the sheer volume he's already used. He retreads some of his randon violent/perverse scenes from Preacher in the Boys but disguises them well enough not to be obvious retreads.

You should check out whichever traded volume starts around #35 or #40 and see if you like it better. I think it improved and they also changed artists. Russ Braun became the main artist and wasn't so different from the first one to make it a jolt. i usually hate it when a comic switches artists, but this wasn't so bad.

Rover Red Charlie is pretty damn good. Especially for an Avatar publication.

There is arse sniffing though, for all you fans of Ennisian Scatology.

• Upvote 1

And for all you not-fans of Ennisian Scatology this issue might put you off. And here I was coming in to fully endorse it. Still really good.

I wondered about it when I saw it in the shoppe. almost picked it up too. now i am full o'regrette.

I've gotten attached to these doggies. And as all Garf Ennis stories go, one of em likely won't make it and I am pretty sure it will be my favorite.

Caliban 1 and 2 were quite good. Garf on Sci Fi. Two ships collide in warp space. Weirdness ensues.

Lou, i picked up the Boys again aroubd #35-40 after dropping it after 10 or so issues. I'd say from 40- 72 ( or whenever it ended) probably 3/4ths of it was some damn good comic. still satisfyingly violent but less sexually perverse-which usually doesn't bother me until Ennis gets hold of it. i can honestly say i'm a big enough perv that it shouldn't bother me, but Ennis' graphic sexual depictions are always his least appealing storytelling device to me. other writers attempt it less frequently than Ennis does and with better results. the frequency at which Ennis uses them, though, means he has to use ideas that aren't as good just due to the sheer volume he's already used. He retreads some of his randon violent/perverse scenes from Preacher in the Boys but disguises them well enough not to be obvious retreads.

You should check out whichever traded volume starts around #35 or #40 and see if you like it better. I think it improved and they also changed artists. Russ Braun became the main artist and wasn't so different from the first one to make it a jolt. i usually hate it when a comic switches artists, but this wasn't so bad.

Yeah, I've stuck with it and it's ended up getting really good! Thanks for this post; there's a good chance I would've bailed after Herogasm* if I hadn't had your words fermenting in the back of my mind. I eventually picked up the next trade, loved it; immediately grabbed the next one and REALLY loved it, and that's put the rest of the series at the top of my comics-buying list. I just finished the Highland Laddie trade, and really enjoyed that too.

I've only had a few stories with Russ Braun art so far, but I agree; it's remarkably similar to Darick's style, and I actually think it might be better. Darick'd had some pretty shockingly sketchy moments during the series.

Further Ennis: I loved the first Rover Red Charlie issue; with a bit of luck the remaining five are waiting for me at the comic store (I missed #2 so they're holding the rest until they get me a copy). At the behest of comic store guy I also read the first Punisher MAX trade, which was amazing, and that's probably going to have to be my next Ennisseries. Oh, and the first Hitman trade was very fun too, but I'm having difficulty finding the second, at least for a decent price.

Aah, I still criticise the man at every turn I can but he really is a great entertainer. He also must account for a good half of my comic collection by now.

(Also I think someone enjoying pervy materia is kind of a guarantee that they won't enjoy Ennis' use of it, since he's pretty much a complete fascist when it comes to sex. I give him credit for being openly pro-oral but anything with even the slightest bit of kink gets tarred with the brush of deviant prurience and/or prurient deviance)

*which I probably would've enjoyed more if I'd realised at the time that it was a spin-off rather than 'The Boys Part 5'

Ennis' Punisher MAX is really very good. Believe it or not Jason Aaron's follow up is almost better.

Yeah, Garth's Punisher MAX is one of the all-time classic runs on a comic book. (I think I'm repeating myself there.)

And Russell Braun is one of the best illustrators working in comics. He should be a superstar.

• Upvote 2

I think we can all safely say it's the best Punisher that has ever seen print...Considering that I hate most Punisher stories.

• Upvote 1

I'm surprised how much I loved it given how much I enjoyed Welcome Back Frank, which is pretty much as opposite as two comics featuring the same character and the same author could possibly be. It was pretty much Looney Tunes with machineguns.

Yeah, those were my feelings too. At least it wasn't taking the Punisher so damn seriously, which was different, but the humour wasn't to my tastes. It was way too over-the-top, I couldn't bother with it. The MAX series was so much better.