wolvy

Garth Ennis Loves Superheroes and Soldiers and Lesbians

Who?

Garth Ennis, he wrote Preacher!

Johnny Red was a strip that ran in the weekly British comic back in the late 70s/early 80s, Battle. It focused on the exploits of John Redburn - dishonourably discharged from the RAF he ends up leading a ragtag Russian squadron known as The Falcons. So a war story, and we know Garth's good at those.

• Upvote 2

This is pretty great, particularly as Redburn's a character Ennis has gone on record about adoring.

Who've they got drawing that one? Joe Colquhon is obviously unavailable, but I think John Cooper has made a return to doing comics recently...

Re-reading Hitman, yet again, probably my all-time favourite comic series. I should really get cracking on gobbling up the backlog of Ennis' War Story stuff.

• Upvote 1

I really enjoyed the first trade, but I haven't been able to find the second anywhere that won't charge ridiculously for it

Supposedly there's some Where Monsters Dwell comic in the pipeline for Marvel involving pulp style aviators (some obscure Marvel characters I've not heard of) and dinosaurs...

Oh, this sounds awesome!

http://marvel.com/news/comics/24085/secret_wars_correspondence_where_monsters_dwell

It stars the Phantom Eagle, who was sort of like DC's Enemy Ace character, a World War I German fighter pilot. Ennis wrote a MAX Phantom Eagle mini-series a few years ago. He is really obscure, as before Ennis he only showed up in like three comic books. His first apperance from the late-1960s in a short-lived anthology comic, once in a time travel story in Incredible Hulk, and then as a ghost during the early issues of Ghost Rider back in the 1970s..

I am in.

Ennis: “He’s a fighter pilot, and combat aviation is probably my single greatest interest when it comes to writing fiction,”

This is quite evident in his War Stories and he does it very well. However, still motion aerial combat can leave a little to be desired at some points. Also: Dinosaurs!

It stars the Phantom Eagle, who was sort of like DC's Enemy Ace character, a World War I German fighter pilot.

"Sort of"? :smile:

... still motion aerial combat can leave a little to be desired at some points.

Clearly, sir, you were not raised on a diet of Battle Picture Weekly, Warlord, War Picture Library, or Commando. :tongue:

I am in.

Same.

Re-reading Hitman, yet again, probably my all-time favourite comic series. I should really get cracking on gobbling up the backlog of Ennis' War Story stuff.

I can't find our discussion but you asked me about the art on his current war story stuff and I have to say it is starting to slide with this latest arc.

Must be those Big 2 paychecks. They have a way of doing that.

Where Monsters Dwell has been dumb fun. Last issue was getting into typical Garf dick jokes but over all pretty fun.

Yeah, too much of that immature humour for me in the last issue. I'd like to get back to dinosaurs and away from emasculating Amazons now.

Yep one issue is enough. Hopefully he'll slink away into the jungle before death by snu-snu.

Ask an ye shall receive..Johnny Red solicited for November -

JOHNNY RED #1

(W) Garth Ennis (A/CA) Keith Page

Legendary British fighter ace, Johnny “Red” Redburn, returns once more as the commander of the Falcons, a Russian fighter squadron battling the Nazis in the skies over Stalingrad. But dogfighting Messerschmitts is about to become the least of his troubles when the NVKD, the notorious Soviet secret police, come calling! (STK686614)

• Upvote 2