wolvy

Garth Ennis Loves Superheroes and Soldiers and Lesbians

47 minutes ago, Lou K said:

Dan Dare is a damn good comic book. This is a vintage Garth Ennis war story set against a pulp sci fi back drop. This has all of Garth's best elements without the dick and fart jokes. It even contains one of the more emotional moments I have ever seen in a comic book. Lots of 'Englishmen fighting for duty and country' type stuff.

Absolutely.

I do sometimes wonder if Ennis might be better respected as a writer if he did more code approved stuff: the Dan Dare series was good for the same reasons as Hitman, after all. Concentrating on character stuff instead of nob jokes raises his game a lot, doesn't it?

(The really nice bit of characterisation in that one, iirc is that Dare knows full well that he's a living legend and obviously isn't comfortable with that at all. It's a beautiful touch, and it makes perfect sense with how he writes the character.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dogpoet said:

Concentrating on character stuff instead of nob jokes raises his game a lot, doesn't it?

It's absolutely his strength, characterization.

[edit]   - I was going to just read and chuck this, but it's a keeper. One word: Digby

Digby's definitely another point in that one's favour, no question. Just compare how Ennis writes him to the comic relief Yorkshire stereotype in a few of the other versions.

• Like 1