wolvy

Garth Ennis Loves Superheroes and Soldiers and Lesbians

Guest spiderlegs
My comic shop pimp has already declared that I should come up and see him sometime to sample the delights of The Boys.

Oh, that can be taken so many bad, bad ways...

What is it with all the Bad Taste photos today?

Well, first i posted them here, but when Pooks made the "half-a-mind" joke, i just had to repost one.

Also - hush hush.

If this was a movie instead of a funnybook, sub-editors all over the world would be going to town:

"The Boys: coming soon"

"Hot new Boys"

"Get your hands on The Boys now"

"Boys bi weekly"

"Garth Ennis' Boys likely to be huge", etc.

Spider-Legs, is that pink triangle meant to point to Inca? :)

My comic shop pimp has already declared that I should come up and see him sometime to sample the delights of The Boys.

Oh, that can be taken so many bad, bad ways...

Of course it can. ;)

Guest spiderlegs
Spider-Legs, is that pink triangle meant to point to Inca? :)

No, I'm 1/64th lesbian (which means I can live on a lesbian reservation). It was meant to honor my lesbian heritage. And also, because a friend came over to see me and when I was making that post, she felt it would be appropriate to honor HER since she is a lesbian. So, every time I see that post, I will be reminded that my friend, Nicol (pronounced "nickle"--she dropped the silent "e") was here. Or rather, there, because right this second I am at my in-laws' home.

No, I'm 1/64th lesbian (which means I can live on a lesbian reservation).

I'd be more comfortable if you used the term "native Sapphan".

Guest spiderlegs

Nicol refers to herself as a "dyke" which I guess is OK seeing as how homosexual men call themselves "fags" and black guys call themselves "nigga."

I met Nicol about 8 years ago at the gay pride parade when one of the floats was throwing out t-shirts and we both caught the same one. We rock-paper-scissored for it and I won 2 out of 3. The t-shirt has 7 female symbols across the front...

Female%20Symbol.jpg

...with the standard-issue homosexual rainbow coloring. It was an XL and Nicol is about 5'2" and 105#, so I really should have gotten by default except she was dating a female semi-pro (American) football player, who it might have fit. I don't care, though, I won it fair and square!

Guest spiderlegs

That's what I thought. Hey, on a different note:

The wife and I will be travelling to Northern CA in a month (she reconnected with an old friend) and one of the nights we're there, we'll be having dinner with Darick and his wife, unless plans change, of course. But I just wrote to him and got his response. He's going camping that weekend, but we'll probably see him Thursday night.

KLANG!

Dare you to ask him about Deathlok over dinner.

Anyway, some of the reviews for The Boys over on Millarworld have me a little worried that my fears about this title might be well founded - one compared the chap who looks like the guy from Spaced to Soap from Ennis' Punisher run!

Guest spiderlegs

Give it a chance, luv! All new things take a bit of time getting their legs under them sturdy. Few titles hit their stride from the get-go, right?

KLANG!

Dare you to ask him about Deathlok over dinner.

Anyway, some of the reviews for The Boys over on Millarworld have me a little worried that my fears about this title might be well founded - one compared the chap who looks like the guy from Spaced to Soap from Ennis' Punisher run!

Ennis reusing characters? such a thing has never been heard of. http://hellblazer.ipbhost.com/index.php?s=...st&p=149770

what is wrong with that boy, does he think that no one has read his back catalogue.

First issue was strictly Ennis-By-Numbers, hopefully it'll pick up over the course of the next few or otherwise I'll be out. Nice art though, especially the dog - the only bit that made me laugh was the scene of the dog looking at the secretary.

Guest spiderlegs

The chick who gets her arms ripped off while being crushed against the wall is a forum regular on Darick's site. How cool is that to be immortalized in the comic medium by one of its greats. It's like she has been touched by the gods! :blink: :wink:

At the risk of becoming The Guy Who Doesn't Like Any Comics, I thought issue 1 was disappointing. It was like Garth phoned it in.

Give it a chance, luv! All new things take a bit of time getting their legs under them sturdy. Few titles hit their stride from the get-go, right?

If the creators are finding their feet, doing stuff they haven't done before, yeah. But I expected Garth to be better at this. Nice art, though.

Graeme 'FanboyRampage' McMillan's review of The Boys #1 sums it up for me, though I thought the art was dead good myself....

THE BOYS #1: Yeah, I don’t get why so many people seemed to be getting excited about this. With a set-up that feels about five years out of date (and also recycled from other Garth Ennis books: Haven’t we seen the hard military bastard and over-the-top superhero parodies before?), nothing in this book feels genuine – A problem when it comes to the motivation of one of the two main characters (Apparently played by Simon Pegg, in a Bryan Hitch-like jaw-dropping modeling of characters after real life actors moment) centering around the sudden death of his true love. It reads like Garth Ennis writing a parody of Garth Ennis without any spark of originality, or enthusiasm, or anything other than cynicism (There’s a weird mysognistic undertow, as well, considering that there are only two women in the book, and the one that doesn’t exist only to die is shown as powerless to the sexual charms of a man she hates; It may just be Garth’s usual machismo going overboard, though). Darick Robertson’s art is Okay, but the book itself is pretty much Crap.

Guest spiderlegs

You might as well give it to #3 which is supposed to be really funny according to Darick. And what's the deal about the art? Personally, I think it's great. Darick's inking it as well as pencilling, and I think his inking is WAY underrated. It's unique and captures a sort of gloomy essense to this book. However anyone feels about the first issue, I think it's only going to get better.

You might as well give it to #3 which is supposed to be really funny according to Darick. And what's the deal about the art? Personally, I think it's great. Darick's inking it as well as pencilling, and I think his inking is WAY underrated. It's unique and captures a sort of gloomy essense to this book. However anyone feels about the first issue, I think it's only going to get better.

Just for you Spidey, I'll give it to #3.

I'm not saying the art is crap, it's just not my cup of tea. Just a personal thing really, for me it's too cartoony for the black humour, which I'm not finding that funny anyway, but I'll read it again when #2 comes out, maybe it'll be a grower.

It's hard to believe this and the recent Battler Britton were written by the same man. John Mc described Battler Britton as "One dimensional characters blow up the Hun", which is reasonable, but it still showed more depth, maturity and appeal than the first issue of The Boys. I'd have expected the reverse.

I downloaded the second issue of Battler Britton thinking that I might give it a go if I liked it and was bored stiff. Page after page of some bloke rattling on about how great some planes are? Yawn.