wolvy

Garth Ennis Loves Superheroes and Soldiers and Lesbians

I didn't get that far. Considering I downloaded it for free and I'm a sucker for Victor-style WWII antics, that should tell you something.

I read the issue in the store today. It didnt seem that good, basically somebody allowing Ennis to run wild with his idea of hating Super heroes.

Can't say I saw much in the second issue to win me over now.

The canine ass-fucking was as telegraphed as the similar scene from last time round but at least it served some kind of purpose I supose.

Was a bit sad to see Garth go all grand-dad in the bit with Mother's Milk - what's with these kids and their hipping and their hopping anyway ?

The art is splendid throughout, especially anything for involving Monster!

At the risk of becoming The Guy Who Doesn't Like Any Comics, I thought issue 1 was disappointing.

I didn't like the look of it when I leafed through it in the store. Y'all have completely confirmed the impressesion I'd gotten of it.

Guest spiderlegs

Well, keep in mind that they went ahead and pegged the first two issues mostly as character introductions, which is why they released them one right after the other #3 is when things kick into gear, when you all come screaming for Ennis to take you back, dressed in your soiled nightgowns with your makeup running down your faces and you've lost your undies because some other comic took it a little too far and got a little rough with you when you didn't expect it. You know expect it from Ennis, so it's ok when he gets a little rough with you. And, he'll take you back...he always does, and you'll be, forever, his little bendover bitch...amen.

For god's sakes, cover yourselves up, you shaameless fucks! :lol:

The fact that the first two issues are mainly devoted to introducing the characters doesn't excuse the fact that they're lazy, hackneyed, badly-written pap, though.

Thought the second issue was a step up, but why on earth this first story wasn't sold as a double-sized first issue - or was edited down to just one normal issue containing the Billy Butcher/Wee Hughie stuff with a few brief scenes of the Frenchman and The Female going mental - I have no idea.

It's got till the end of the first proper story arc to grab me. Which is, what? Issue five?

Lol, you guys . . .

You are a tough crowd to work, I feel. I LIKED it very much, I have recieved the first two issues. I was saying "OH NO, what have i DONE, IT IS SO SHIT none of them have a nice word to waste on the comic . . . . "

It was a bit "bland set-up for later events", but even then, there was some interesting takes on various issues. I liked how the policemen just wanted "The A-Train" gone, the [over-used word]. I liked how Butcher was "honest" with Hughie, kindly spared him the disparaging title "Some people call me "Wee Hughie" I guess", but is still intent on USING him fro his own purposes. ( I think that someone that has been traumatised like Hughie has been, is the last person a kindly bloke would recruit for a bloody campaign, but then we aren't to think Butcher is kindly, eh? )

I liked the dog, except it occurs to me that his canine teeth are sort of indeterminate in length, position, and size a bit. He does have that happy clueless joy in his eyes, that Bulldogs have, happy to be with his people, happy to lurch into mischief at his peoples word.

It has a mad Frenchman.

I really liked the gangster showing the hardman his gun.

Now seriously, if someone did that to a trained bloke, say a secret service agent or a bodyguard, wouldn't they do EXACTLY what Billy did?. And wouldn't it be funny?. And the art work is aces, I like it.

As we have establish before now, Tigger is easily pleased. I think some of you guys are not, maybe TOO much so. :)

Is there some hint that Butcher has enhanced strength? the girl i think, has some sort of ability?

I thought the art was ok, but what I didnt like was the whole scene of the guy rear ending that chick in the office.. What the fuck was the point of that scene? :blink:

:) One day mate, you will buy into the whole scene, and all those jokes will suddenly make sense to you.

i swear, Randy, you ought to try just asking any and all the girls in your neighbourhood, if they want to come for a walk with you and your dog. Join a jogging club, or get a name badge that says "Hi.I am Randy. (the subtext for this statement is VERY European, apply within for explanation)

:)

OK, heres a joke.

Young couple turn up to the doctors office, and ask for some advice. They humm and haaar for a bit, look bashful and then the man says "Doctor, we have been trying to make a baby for the whole three years we have been married, maybe there is something wrong with one of us?".

Doc does the tests, both come up fine. He thinks to himself "They come from religious families, bit sheltered . . maybe they are DOING something wrong". So he gets out his anatomical models of the two sexes genitalia, and sits down and shows them "the Business". Both very embarassed, but mutter their thanks and leave.

The next day , first thing, the bloke storms into the doctors office, red in the face, and slaps him one and shouts "YOU PERVERT".

Uh... is the joke to be continued? :huh:

Issue 2 was better'n issue 1, but still unappealing. It still reads like it was written in a hurry, by a high school boy. It's pretty clear that I'm not the target readership for the title, despite the impression I got from the pre-publicity.

OK, heres a joke.

Young couple turn up to the doctors office, and ask for some advice. They humm and haaar for a bit, look bashful and then the man says "Doctor, we have been trying to make a baby for the whole three years we have been married, maybe there is something wrong with one of us?".

Doc does the tests, both come up fine. He thinks to himself "They come from religious families, bit sheltered . . maybe they are DOING something wrong". So he gets out his anatomical models of the two sexes genitalia, and sits down and shows them "the Business". Both very embarassed, but mutter their thanks and leave.

The next day , first thing, the bloke storms into the doctors office, red in the face, and slaps him one and shouts "YOU PERVERT".

That's from Catch-22, isn't it?

Uh... is the joke to be continued? :huh:

Jason, you would understand it if you were European. (Or Kiwi, which is the next best thing.) 8-)

It's one of those jokes that if you dont get it you never will because explaining it in anyway complete destroys it, a hint would be it's as much about what you've not been told as what you have.

once you undersatnd where the humour lies it still wont be funny because you didnt get it in the first place.

which coincedentaly brings us to a catch 22 situation.

Ok, maybe it is in the way i have phrased or not phrased it.

The couple are very shy , niave and religious, and have not been having sex properly.

He gets out his anatomical models, "the man puts his penis into the womans vagina and rubs and rubs and rubs until his brains come out his ears".

They go home and give it a whirl and it is so good, they are closer than they ever were, must be a sin, AND THAT ROTTEN OLD DOCTOR KNOWS WHAT WE ARE FEELING.

?. Not funny?. I must say, I got it immediately, but then probably , now i think about it, was the put on look of indignation on my brothers face as he told the punchline.

And anyone that thinks couples can't get having sex wrong, hasn't been reading the same historical textbooks as I.

I might give it a chance, just the fact that he's trying to out gross himself is bit of a turn off. I do however look forward to his Midnighter series coming out. Hopefully that wont be nonstop gore and gay jokes.

And anyone that thinks couples can't get having sex wrong, hasn't been reading the same historical textbooks as I.

You're calling them "historical textbooks" now? :tongue: