wolvy

Garth Ennis Loves Superheroes and Soldiers and Lesbians

Thanks.

At least the Dicks comics were funny. Boys is more like something Mark Millar would write.

Many people, well James anyway, have fond memories of the foul-mouthed, spliff-smoking rabbit Mange who made a very brief appearance during Garth Ennis' run on Hellblazer...

mange1.jpg

Well Garth, never being one to shy away from retreading old ground, has decided that there's a few miles left in the nasty wabbit idea....

mange2.jpg

Panel from this article on Garth Ennis' Wormwood on CBR.

Guest spiderlegs

The shit-blue aspect of the "super-drug" threw me, too. Oh, well, I suppose it's about as realistic as the rest of it... :huh:

Right. The plan is in effect. I'm dropping the boys for a couple of months, and picking up when the next (ie, first proper) arc picks up.

I'll go out on a limb here. I thought the first three or four issues of Transmetropolitan were complete shite. Pointless, lacking any kind of cohesion, and set in a sci fi setting seemingly because it allowed ridiculous toilet humour and huge plotholes to get papered over (not that this happened mind. I have a very cynical sense of potential) moreso than anything else. After about twelve months I picked it up again and loved every page, and retroactively bought every one. It's probably my favourite book of all time now.

So, (and don't think for a minute I'm saying the Boys and Transmet are equal) I think it might be fair to let The Boys settle into rhythm before judging. After all, Ennis has been known for a great Opening followed by an average middle and finally a shite end (Preacher Anyone?). Maybe by "out-preacher Preacher" he means he's going to improve as he goes, and retain some kind of stability in tone and narrative. Cos at the minute, I don't want to think he's using up the Violence that was cut from Punisher in combination with spare dick jokes from Kev. He's too talented for that...

(apoligies for writing a novella there!!!)

I read a few issues of The Boys and it was generally shit on a stick. The first issue was so-so. The 2nd was kind of ok. The 3rd and fourth were made or pure crap.

I did sort of like The Midnigther tho. That one seemed at least decent enough

I'm kinda warming to The Boys...not sure why...the last page of the latest issues is pretty funky. I'm wondering if maybe we won't see a surprise shake up in the apparent status-quo as a lot of what Butcher was saying this issue obviously applies to his own crew.

Kev keeps on rolling along, like Hitman this feels like a neglected gem. Garth may well be addressing some of his own issues with gay folk here, not sure, either way it's got real heart to it - something that's been sadly lacking (for me) from his work over the last few years.

I finally gave this one the boot. Here we are going into issue 6 and we're just now really seeing the team whup some ass. *yawn* It's funny because I had to explain to my comic shop guy why this series is so weak and he says, "That's exactly how I felt about Preacher!"

The only intrigue here is what sort of bad blood flows between Butcher and the Seven. You might think it's something deep like maybe Mr Captain Guy or whatever killed Butcher's dad or something but it's probably something as dumb as Butcher fucked Capian Guy's mom or some shit.

I finally gave this one the boot. Here we are going into issue 6 and we're just now really seeing the team whup some ass. *yawn* It's funny because I had to explain to my comic shop guy why this series is so weak and he says, "That's exactly how I felt about Preacher!"

What?

The first two issues of Preacher:

*Angel decapitated

*Another angel gets the back of his head blown off

*Church blown up

*Dude gets his jaw shot off

*Big fistfight

*Guy gets his neck chewed open

*Policemen massacred in a crazy gunfight

*Arseface.

The first three issues of The Boys:

*A girl gets smushed

*A guy gets kicked in the balls

*Er...

*...that's it.

*Edit: I just remembered the murdered yuppies and exploding Mafia. Still: shit.

Anyway, I've dropped The Boys.

That Fanboy Radio show is tonight at 6pm CST.

FbR322.jpg

Well I finally got around to listening to this show today on the journey into work and boy am I disappointed in The Boys now as both Ennis and Robertson talk a really good game and I don't think they've delivered.

A strange thought did occur to me and this is meant to be no insult to Darick Robertson's art but The Boys was described as being gritty in the radio show but it comes across as cartoonish on paper and I wondered if it would work better with perhaps Steve Dillon or maybe Sean Phillips on art.

Or Joe Colquhoun if he wasn't dead of course.

The art's been the high-point for me, especially the illustrations of that damn dog, make me laugh nearly every bloody time! There hasn't been much in the way of violence, but Robertson's delivered easily on that blood-letting before and I'm expecting terrible, horrible brutallity in the next issue.

Yeah the artwork has been excellent and I think the fault mostly lies with the writing of Garth Ennis which when interpreted thorugh the art makes it come across in my eyes at least as cartoonish violence rather than gritty.

How does Avatar work again? Cheap issues and expensive trades or the other way around?

JB: I may do some of the Fangoria shows because they are so much fun but the only other comicon I am planning to do is Bristol. It will be my first time going over seas and I'm really excited.

Fucking hell, he's in for a disappointment. The poor love.

I guess that's confirmation that there'll be a Bristol next year...where's Matt so we can start talking like we're all rich and going to SDCC instead ?!

Avatar tend to be reasonably priced all round, though the back few pages of the monthly issues tend to be cram pack with adverts for comics like "Teen Whore vs Slutvestite".

Actually, do you have Matt's e-mail or AIM name? I haven't spoken to him in ages.

I thought Avatar were doing well for themselves these days, having positioned themselves as the go-to guys for stuff too crude for Vertigo, lazy movie spin-offs and adaptations of Alan Moore's shopping lists. Didn't realise they were still doing things like Princess Breasts In The Castle Of Quivering Quim or whatever.

Then again, I haven't bought an Avatar floppy since that Alan Moore's Courtyard piece of shit from about three years back.

Seriously, though: can someone tell me whether it's the Avatar floppies or the trades that are overpriced?

Their single issues can be a little on the expensive side but nothing too drastic, are you getting mixed up with IDW maybe ?

I have Matt's e-mail in work, I'll shoot it your way tomorrow.

If nothing else, it puts into stark clairty what Ennis meant when he said he was going to out-Preacher Preacher.

Hamster-up-the-arse is just so 90s...really, is that the best he could come up with ?! Butcher's story about his missus felt terribly clumsy, especially coming at the end of the arc - it might've had more of an impact if we'd experienced it through some kind of flashback.

Seven Brothers, now, was genuinely shocking as there's no way anyone could've seen those last few pages coming!

Hamster-up-the-arse

Seriously? Hahahahaha.

I'm so glad I gave up on this after #2.