wolvy

Garth Ennis Loves Superheroes and Soldiers and Lesbians

Guest spiderlegs
Seven Brothers, now, was genuinely shocking as there's no way anyone could've seen those last few pages coming!

You knew Butcher had to have had an intense reason for hating the supes and there had to be some very strong reason he was drawn to Hughie to the point of inviting him on to the team. And that's the bond he has with Hughie. Butcher is so fucking off in his own level of insanity, he sees Hughie as a connection to real people he hasn't had since his wife was killed. Hughie's exact same plight gives Butcher a touchstone which he thinks makes him more grounded into the same mentality of other normal people. By killing his wife, the supes took away the normal, mundane life he might never have wanted but now craves because he's too nuts ever to have one.

And the Seven are way fucked, way, way like...oh, I don't know, Ted Haggard--people of such power that it corrupts them to acts of over-the-top perversion. The parallels of absolute power that has acceptable levels of collateral damage whenever the supes act on an incident with actual men in power and the depths of corruption to which they've fallen is valid, I think. It's sort of allegorical for our own time. I've given up trying to talk any of you blackguards into reconsidering it, but to dismiss it as just a one dimensional hamster joke simply isn't fair criticism. It's somewhat lazy, too. Dig deeper, haters!

I wish the BOYS had had some overlap within the WILDSTORM multiverse because a BOYS vs The Authority conflict is like a dream clash of titans. The Authority has always had to consider acceptable levels of collateral damage when their actions affect not only those in this world, but other dimensions, too. Thousands--millions--have died due to their actions and have pissed off many a government in doing so, so the confrontation is practically a pay-per-view level of excitement... :wacko:

I've given up trying to talk any of you blackguards into reconsidering it, but to dismiss it as just a one dimensional hamster joke simply isn't fair criticism. It's somewhat lazy, too. Dig deeper, haters!

You're kidding right?

Anyway, somebody wanna spoil Buthcer's hatred for the supes for me? I really can't be bothered to read it myself. It's that simple, is it? Butcher's wife was offed by Captain 7 so now he's got a Punisher sized bug up his ass?

Spider, I don't mean to sound like a twat but would you genuinely be so in love with the comic if you weren't mates with the artist?

The parallels of absolute power that has acceptable levels of collateral damage whenever the supes act on an incident with actual men in power and the depths of corruption to which they've fallen is valid, I think. It's sort of allegorical for our own time.

The problem is, that wasn't a new idea when Pat Mills and Kevin O'Neill used it as the basis for Marshall Law in 1987, and it's positively old-hat in a post-Authority comics world.

The only difference between this and everybody else's stories about Super hero destruction, is that Garth is going the same way he did when he was given Punisher a Max title. He's like a kid in a candy store. Personally I found Ennis to be better when the editors are slapping him on the wrist and giving him rules to follow. Hitman was one of those titles where he wasn't allowed to go crazy.

The few issues I have read just involved Ennis going. LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!.

Guest spiderlegs
Spider, I don't mean to sound like a twat but would you genuinely be so in love with the comic if you weren't mates with the artist?

That's fair. I'm not going to deny that, but what I really like about the story is the Seven and how absolutely amoral and corrupt they are while being the guardians of truth, etc. I wouldn't call it love, but I think I can tell where it's going to go, plotwise, and it's going to get fucked up ( I don't have any inside info other than the occasional tease Darick might reveal a day before the release of an issue. I see the covers early, that's cool.

Also, keep in mind, if the story has been done before, that's disappointing, but I've never read a previously similar story before, so it's new to me.

Is it flawed? Of course it is. But the art's top shelf and the story is strange, and Robertson and Ennis just LOVE to work together, which is cool to see. I'm not saying I won't ever give it up, but I'm good for a while.

Lou, to answer your question :

Butcher's wife was raped by a superhero, the first he knew of this was when the resulting super-sprog punched its way out of her womb.

Butcher has a scar on his hand from where the baby burned him with his heat-vision whilst he was throttling it.

Guest spiderlegs

And was that just uninteresting to you guys? It doesn't make you kind of go "well, fuck!"?

Honestly, it seemed like it was trying too hard - I mentioned up-thread about its placing in the story too. It felt forced, Butcher suddenly turning to face the camera, right at the end of the opening arc, so he could deliver his over-the-top sob story.

After 100+ ages of the usual over-the-top Ennis antics, it was hard to get all teary eyed over that reveal.

Guest spiderlegs

Right, I never get teary at an Ennis passage (OK, maybe some of Jesse's dad stories in PREACHER, but...).

Maybe he wrote it in such a way that it came off as trying to be emotionally evocative, but I think it was only meant to be another character development device and I still think it was what drew him and made him sympathetic to Hughie. I think that's the only reason it was written, not to make you all teary-eyed, you oul' softie... ;)

That's pretty deep. I think about that sort of stuff all the time. Like if you had the strength to move mountains how could you control yourself during times of passion? Would you not crush somebody by mistake? Would you be able to control yourself during times of excitement? Times of anger?

So

Did the leader of the seven rape Butcher's wife? Seems a bit out of character given how he (they) handled the new girl. "Oh we're not going to force ourselves on you. It depends on how bad you want to be with the team." and all that. Or is the leader some sort of hyper accelerated aging of the baby itself?

Guest spiderlegs

Right, and I'll bet the Homelander even says something to that effect during their inevitable confrontation: "Oh, it wasn't (the way you thought it happened), it was a decision that was made, not coerced (trying to make myself clear without using spoiler tags). It was a choice."

I think you're about clear as mud there Spider.

Are you saying it was Homelander and that the rape was in fact consensual?

Guest spiderlegs

Yes to #1 and No to #2 but that Homelander would CLAIM #2 was yes.

How 'bout now?

Or maybe it was Lamplighter..?

No it's not so bad. And therein lies the problem. This series has the potential to be something really cool but instead it's just dick and fart jokes. Believe me, dick and fart jokes go a long way with me so long as their funny. It seems that Garf is just trying to be shocking for shock's sake and that blows.

Guest spiderlegs

He alluded that he was going down that tasteless road in one of his interviews, the link of which I posted here somewhere, I think. To me, the BOYS are second as far as what I like about this title: I love how the superheroes are depicted to be so crass and unsympathetic.

Seven Brothers, now, was genuinely shocking as there's no way anyone could've seen those last few pages coming!

That was fucking sweet. I'm sure he'll just Deus Ex it up like Ronald only dreamed it or one of the team has some sort of temporal prowess or something.

Really, as basic as 7 Bros is I find it quite entertaining in a "Big Trouble in Little China" type of way.

Aslo I have to reiterate how cool Fury: Peacemaker is. Garf doing what he does best - war stories. Hell, it doesn't even feel like you're reading about Nick Fury at all. Just a straight up, bad ass WWII tale. Download it if you can.

No it's not so bad. And therein lies the problem. This series has the potential to be something really cool but instead it's just dick and fart jokes.

Really does sum it all up.

There's always been a puerile element to Garth's work, which is by no means a bad thing as he's generally dead good at that stuff, but post-Preacher he seems content to wallow in the deep end of that particular (figurative..presumably...) pool of shit.

It's bloody frustrating, as the glimpses of the better-balanced Ennis in Kev and 303 suggest that he could be writing something on a par with his best works if only he could be arsed.

I'm sure he'll just Deus Ex it up like Ronald only dreamed it or one of the team has some sort of temporal prowess or something.

Yeah...and yet...!

I seem to recall you souring on Fury: Peacemaker as it went on, or am I mis-remembering ?

Yeah...and yet...!

I seem to recall you souring on Fury: Peacemaker as it went on, or am I mis-remembering ?

I was sour on the 1st issue. And it does suck. But the series as a whole is good.

The Boys has been cancelled, effective immediately. No more issues, no trade.

How odd. I can't say I'm especially disappointed myself, as I've made my lack of enthusiasm for the series pretty clear by this point, but it does seem incredibly sudden, and the fact that DC won't even be publishing a trade of the six issues which have already been released strongly suggests that there've been some kind of behind-the-scenes shenanigans, possibly some sort of falling-out between the creative team and the management. If so, and given that it was creator-owned, one would assume that it'll be continuing through a different publisher at some point in the not-too-distant future.

Yeah it does sound odd, sense the series was supposedly doing really well in sales.

...strongly suggests that there've been some kind of behind-the-scenes shenanigans, possibly some sort of falling-out between the creative team and the management.

If only one of Darick Robertson's mates posted here and could give us the inside scoop.

Really didn't like the comic much, but from my position of absolute ignorance that looks like a fucking harsh decision.