wolvy

Garth Ennis Loves Superheroes

JasonT    438

Thanks for the interviews, Spiderlegs.

My philosophy with comics has always been to please three people above all. The writer, the editor and myself.

Do editors actually care anymore?

James    38
ROBERTSON: It’s a mature readers book, so Garth and I are going to be pushing things as far as they’ll let us. Garth said he’s going “Out-Preacher Preacher” ....

The only constraints I’ve been informed of is to be careful with the nudity.

What the...?

Abhimanyu    20
ROBERTSON: It’s a mature readers book, so Garth and I are going to be pushing things as far as they’ll let us. Garth said he’s going “Out-Preacher Preacher” ....

What the...?

My sentiments exactly. THe first two sentences don't quite jibe with the third. And if its a mature readers book, what exactly is wrong with nudity??

wolvy    57

What the...?

My sentiments exactly. THe first two sentences don't quite jibe with the third. And if its a mature readers book, what exactly is wrong with nudity??

Probably means that he can't make it X-rated nudity. Tone it down a bit too the R rated type of stuff. Tho he can run wild with the violence and everything else.

Abhimanyu    20

Well, that seems redundant because obviously the nudity isnt going to be X rated. I'm yet to see a Wildstorm/DC comic with X rated levels of sexual content. This seems to say that even too much of the R level stuff is unacceptable.

All this echoes the moronic tendency in movies to demonize nudity when over the top violence (which im a huge fan of, granted) is considered quite acceptable.

Christian    734

he he....I like that tendency too!

It popped up again in comics recently.

Cover art for an issue of "Conan" depicted a nude woman on the cover (not sure what all it showed or anything). There was a decree that putting pictures like that in Conan are just unacceptable because of the children reading the book.

Dave (friend who owns comic store) and I were joking, "Holy hell! They've gone and done it! They've ruined the good wholesome fun of guys with swords chopping each other's heads off for my son!"

wolvy    57

Guys, this Garth "Look at that dudes brains splattered on the ground" Ennis we're talking about. He does not need reasoning or logic. Not to mention he's a crazy, hard drinking, hard fighting, hard farting Irish man. So that should be enough for you.

Guest spiderlegs   
Guest spiderlegs

Abhi, I'm pretty sure Darick's tongue was firmly in his cheek--he most likely winked when he said it, too. The thought behind it being that the two of them will be pushing the envelope damn near out of the mail bag, so to speak. Expect alot of "fucking fuck fuckers" dialogue, brain spatters accompanying testicles ripped out by fish hooks simultaneously experiencing an orgasm and the death of a close friend seconds apart.

Darick's really excited about it because this is the same type situation as when he did TRANSMET, under which he thrived big time! His mood is better recently than it has been since last spring or to about when his youngest was born. He's not as bitchy, in other words...and his enthusiasm is very evident.

JohnMcMahon    562

What the...?

That's typical Americana though, isn't it ?

Violence and swearing's a-ok, long as you keep them sinful cocks and [over-used word]s under wraps (titties are ok, no more than five an issue though).

Guest spiderlegs   
Guest spiderlegs
WIZARD WORLD L.A., DAY TWO: DARICK ROBERTSON IS BRINGING “THE BOYS” TO TOWN

by Stephen J Stanis, Guest Writer

Dead babies, virgins, racial tensions, covert operatives, blood, sex, violence and a different take on the superhero genre are all parts of the Vertigo and Wildstorm universes. Saturday, at Wizard World Los Angeles, DC Comics VP of Sales Bob Wayne, along with a slew of Wildstorm and Vertigo writers, editors and artists, including Jim Lee, discussed the events ahead.

The biggest news was the announcement of a new Wildstorm series written by Garth Ennis and drawn by Darick Robertson, “The Boys.” Starting in October the monthly series will focus on a world where the government monitors the superhero community and sometimes sends in a team to take them down.

“I’m really excited about this project with Garth. … This is a great opportunity because Garth and I are really good friends. I think when you read a book that is a collaboration of friends you get their sense of humor and that kind of stuff comes through,” Robertson said.

Robertson said the 60 issue, 5 year-series will follow a character named Huey who joins the world of “The Boys,” a team of government operatives charged with monitoring and if need be dealing with the superheroes of the world. Robertson and Wildstorm executive editor Dunbier said that while the superheroes in the world may reflect some established characters, they are not the ones you know.

“’The Boys’ on the team, each in their own way has suffered some sort of tragedy at the hands of superheroes,” Robertson said. “(The superheroes) in our world move through the world like celebrities and politicians combined. They don’t really notice who they step-on on the way during the course of their super battles. This is what happens to the people who end up as collateral damage.”

Robertson said the leader of “The Boys” is Billy Butcher, “the meanest, hardest son of a bitch you can ever imagine.” Starting with issue #1, however, readers will see this world through the eyes of Huey.

“Throughout this series you are going to see Huey get initiated into this dark world,” he said. “The CIA needs the boys to be on our side to get information on superheroes and sometimes they need to take down superheroes who get out of line. They don’t necessarily always do this with violence sometimes they do it with blackmail, sometimes they do it by knowing their deep dark secret.”

Robertson said Ennis has said, “The Boys” will “Out ‘Preacher’ ‘Preacher.’”

Josh    6

What the...?
That's typical Americana though, isn't it ?

Violence and swearing's a-ok, long as you keep them sinful cocks and [over-used word]s under wraps (titties are ok, no more than five an issue though).

Unfortunately yes, that's it.

Guest spiderlegs   
Guest spiderlegs
Issue one will all drawn by April 10th, and Garth has already written through issue 4 so You'll be getting a steady reliable dose of our best stuff every month (Twice the first month, as we're double shipping 1 & 2 in October)

James    38

Ace. Here's hoping it's another Hitman - although I suspect that the characters won't be as likeable as Tommy and Natt.

James    38

I think he's run out of orifices now.

So expect Dickhead and Knob Goblin to turn up at some point.

Kejoxen    0

New Ennis Title: Arse from your Elbow:

heros are Elbowarse and Cockarse, Elbowarse has a arse on his elbow and Cockarse has a arse on the end of his cock.

they battle Fanny-go-lightly who has an invisible fanny and who's boss is called Adolph Kennedy. Adolph Kennedy is the love child of JFK and Eva Braun who in the 70's suffered a terrible accident which cause all his orifices to heal over now he can only get sexual release by rolling in a bath full of hamsters.

its a 70 issue arc in which our heroes finally bring an Irish Chirstmas to American occupied Iraq while discovering what it really means to be a man in the Metrosexual 21st century.

(Copyright, Matt Pearson 2006)

James    38

You missed the bit where everyone makes fun of the gay guy and then some soldiers blabber on about how shit - but also great! - war is..

Kejoxen    0

thats just my 30 second pitch, i'll have the full page pitch for you by tomorrow.

I'll be sure to cover the fact that being in the SAS is better than sex.

Kejoxen    0

You know, Garth is in someways a terrible writer;

he continuly reuses plot devices and themes,

cobain.jpg

pride.jpg

fuckface.jpg

arseface.jpg

crowbars in Irishness whenever he can

dredd.jpg

and is obsessed with juvenial toilet humour

balls.jpg

hernia.jpg

pilgrim.jpg

but when it comes down to it i dont honestly think there's another writer in comics that i have as much fun reading.

batman.jpg

lesbian.jpg