wolvy

Garth Ennis Loves Superheroes

Kejoxen    0

Fuckface is in the Nick Fury Max story and the guy with no balls is from the first Punisher Max arc.

Tony B.    50
I think he's run out of orifices now.

So expect Dickhead and Knob Goblin to turn up at some point.

Dickhead is in the Bluntman and Chronic Comics....

coralys    0

I read on another thread that Ennis has written some terrible stuff. I've only read his Hellblazer and some of Preacher, so can anyone tell me what's good and what's to be avoided?

James    38

The Good

-Hitman is golden.

-Dicks is fun if you've got a puerile sense of humour like me.

-The comedy Punisher stories are fantastic, the serious ones less so. Although The Punisher: The Cell is great.

-His Demon run is a lot of fun, though not as good as Hitman, which spun off it.

-The War Stories are variable, but mostly good (the best is Johann's Tiger. The worst by a long, long way is Nightingale).

-Pride & Joy is average-to-good.

-The Authority: Kev and The Authority:More Kev are both excellent. Haven't read The Magnificent Kevin yet though.

The Bad

-Just A Pilgrim is risible.

The Ugly

-The Darkness is utter shit.

I don't think I've read anything else by him.

Hey! Look at this!

2/99  Superman 80-Page Giant #1  (Short story How to be a Super-Hero! featuring “Sixpack” from Hitman <a>Nelson Dicastro [DC])

I WANT IT NOW! :( Something for Bristol, I suppose.

coralys    0

Thanks. So there aren't as maybe bad ones as I thought there would be. Ennis wrote The Authority? I thought that was Ellis.

Ellis began The Authority. After he left, several writers have contributed, including Ennis.

I really don't care for most of his Hellblazer run, but I think I'm in the minority there. What did you think of it, coralys?

coralys    0

I really liked Ennis's run on Hellblazer. I think it's my favorite. I haven't read any by Jenkins and I'm only now starting to read the Delano stuff.

Guest spiderlegs   
Guest spiderlegs
Punisher: Born is outstanding. In my mind, it stands among both Ennis and Robertson's greatest work.

James    38

Looks good, though I wish they hadn't squeezed the lettering so small for that preview.

And it looks like Ennis might be back to making gay jokes again...

Mark    332

Had he ever really stopped?

Looks mildly promising, though.

Guest spiderlegs   
Guest spiderlegs

I just like how they both seem to be happy working together again, happy working on their own title and enjoying telling this story. That can make for a nice run, I'm hoping.

electricinca    89

No explanation of why they've made Wee Hughie look like Simon Pegg though. :D

It looks peurile and violent and very very tempting.

wolvy    57

I'm still on the ropes about this one. On the one hand Ennis gets to destroy and brutally rape super heroes that are made up, and he's usually good with stuff that he created.

But on the other, it seems like he's just going over the top, because he's allowed too, and not doing it because it serve's a puprose to tell a very good story.

Guest spiderlegs   
Guest spiderlegs

Darick's been saying he loves the story and that it's got some great moments. It's also a story Ennis has been developing for a while, so hopefully it will pay off.

wolvy    57
Darick's been saying he loves the story and that it's got some great moments. It's also a story Ennis has been developing for a while, so hopefully it will pay off.

Well ofcourse he's going to say that. It's his work too. :lol: He wants to sell you on it.

James    38
Oh dear - looks like we might be getting shit-Ennis on this *blubbers*

What makes you say that?

Guest spiderlegs   
Guest spiderlegs

Well ofcourse he's going to say that. It's his work too. :lol: He wants to sell you on it.

Well, maybe...but he and I are friends, so with that in mind, I think he'd be a little more honest about not liking it if he wasn't totally into it, I mean on a personal level.

Oh, and Garth will be Garth, you know...

Comes out soon. I'm stoked!

Guest spiderlegs   
Guest spiderlegs

They broadcast live online, but I believe they only release shows after a few months have gone by.