wolvy

Garth Ennis Loves Superheroes

JohnMcMahon    562

Comixology were selling all of The Boys dirt cheap there recently so decided I might as well indulge and...well...it's actually quite good once you get past the horrible opening issues and Garth's puerile sense of humour. To be fair on that, I actually chuckled quite a bit during the Super Duper arc.

JohnMcMahon    562

As was probably readily apparent from the number of comics he's written on the subject, Ennis is a total fucking war nerd - his intros to the Johnny Red trades are quite funny in that context. He writes these loving paragraphs to the creative teams, living and dead but then can't resist highlighting some of the things they 'got wrong' in this story about a 17 year old British boy who ends up leading a Russian fighter squadron during WW2! Touch of the John Byrne about him, sort of!

JohnMcMahon    562

Sticking to War Nerd Ennis, Night Witches was a fantastic read - picked up the rest of Ennis' Battlefields stuff off the back of it.

First Red Team trade is pretty good, would make a decent first half-season of a TV show.

JasonT    438
Dear Billy...that was just a little grim.

It sure was, but it struck me as one of the best things he's written.

JohnMcMahon    562

Absolutely, a very strong piece and one that certainly left an impression - it's a testament to his talents that Garth can swing so wildly between genres and tone. Finished up the Battlefields stuff he did at Dynamite, adored this homage cover to the old Battle comic.

battlefields.jpg

JohnMcMahon    562

Garth doesn't seem capable of writing a bad war story so I'm sure this'll be ace - not 100% convinced that his platoon will make it to the end of the story though!