Sign in to follow this  
Gigrantor

Call the next movie Hellblazer

I posted this thread a couple of weeks back at the Hellblazer board. After reading Neil Gaiman's recent interview regarding comic movies I have decided to re-post it here were the subject is more appropriate: :icon_twosgun:

I recently had a lobotomy to removes any traces of memory of the movie known as Constantine. Hollywood appears to be learning that in order to make a comics movie successfull you must remain true to the source material as possible. Recent examples of this include the Spider-man and X-Men movies and even more recently Frank Miller's Sin City. :wub:

I believe that if Constantine had been more loyal to the comic it would had been a huge success commercially and critically, unfortunately this was not the case.

It's not too late to do Hellblazer right, just disregard the trash that was released last year and do it right! :icon_2gun:

In order to do this the next film would have to be called Hellblazer. Who cares if it sounds a little similar to Clive Barkers franchise? Most of the general public would have no idea anyway. :blink:

Come on Hollywood the time is right for a proper Hellblazer film. Team Kevin Smith with Garth Ennis on the script, hire Danny Boyle or Guy Ritchie for the direction and see if Clive Owen is available or make an offer to Christopher Eccleston, the poor guys has been unemployed since he made the mistake of quitting Doctor Who last year. :smile:

So guys, who here else would like to see Hellblazer on the big screen but done right? :unsure:

So guys, who here else would like to see Hellblazer on the big screen but done right?  :unsure:

I'm not that bothered, to be honest. I prefer it as a comic. I'm less than convinced by the idea that a faithful adaptation would have been a box-office smash, either - it'd have been a far cheaper film to make, would probably have been better-received by critics, but Hellblazer isn't exactly the stuff of which blockbusters are made. I'd imagine it'd have been a mid-level success, profitable due to a low budget, but not exactly the massive money-spinner you seem to suggest.

But if you think "doing it right" would involve Kevin Smith or Guy Ritchie, then you and I have tastes so astonishingly different that I doubt we're going to agree about this, either.

Team Kevin Smith with Garth Ennis on the script, hire Danny Boyle or Guy Ritchie for the direction

Argh!

Dammit, please stop making my brain bleed like that. It's making a real mess of my shirts.

I think that an attempt at a decent movie/adaptation was made, and it failed. There is no need to try it again. The comics are superb, and another movie would not be good.

I doubt a film could be made that didn't do heavy violence to the character. Why do we need it to be a film? It's very good as a comic, and seems to suit that medium best.

So guys, who here else would like to see Hellblazer on the big screen but done right?  :unsure:

I would, but the possibility that it could ever happen is depressingly tiny.

I actually think that it's one of the few comic properties that could, possibly, work better in live action. It doesn't require a big budget, there are no costumes that look cool on paper but terrible on film.

I realise that the character has a fairly complicated back story but it's possible to tell stories involving the character without referencing it. Or to reference it and make the character sound intriguing, much like Moore did when he referenced Newcastle in Swamp Thing.

Hellblazer would probably work better as HBO series than a film. Mr. Tom is correct about the low budget involved in every day clothes and settings.

Con Job is definitely able to transcend the mediums.

I'm all for an HBO-esque series, which has been numerously posted.

He appears to be supporting an upcoming chain of novels too.

Can't get my mind around a musical though.