Sign in to follow this  
TestosteRohne

Re-Reading Morrison's JLA

In #6 Why does Aquaman call the angel Katar?

And who is Katar?

Does Kyle's ring construct in #6 herald the coming of Chubby Da Choona?

In Rock of the Ages, Aquaman after probing the Mirroring Holograms, mentions that the mind is familiar.

Was it a bit of a glitch when all of a sardine Batman quesses or says that Arthur said that it was his brother?

Most of Batman's deuctions regarding the identity of the Injustice crew are slightly dubious.

#11 where Batman hires Plastic man, by disguising himself as Matches Malone was great.

The Matches referance to #3 and his disguise in the background of the last page of #11 where subtley done.

Like the cover of #10 inverting the JLA picture for the subscription form in # 13.

Katar is a Hawkman/Hawkgirl thing?

#16 has a reporter calling Zauriel Hawkman or something similar, and that's why Arthur "recognizes him" in #6.

But what happened in Genesis #1?

It happens between #10 and #11.

Katar Hol was the original Thannagarian Hawkman, yes. Never read Aztek or Zauriel, I'm afraid, and can't help with your other questions.

I've read issues #1-5 and #9 of "Aztek". The other issues are nearly impossible to find, at least in my experience.

I had no idea there was a "Zauriel" mini-series. It wasn't written by Morrison.

Not sure what info you want from Aztek, but here goes:

Uno is a member of the Q-Society.  He is the empty vessel of Quetzalcoatl, waiting to be filled.  He was raised as a soldier, in hiding, by Warrior Monks in the mountains, awaiting his destiny.  He was trained to face the shadow god, Tezcatlipoca when he arrives.  His father, the bearer of the HELMET before him fell in love with an American woman and was killed by the Q-Society for his treachery and lack of duty. There were many before Uno, and there will be many after him to wear the helmet.  The Q-Society has one HELMET, but many trained replacements.

During it's existance, the Q-Society looked for wealthy backers, one of which was Bruce Wayne's father, who declined (I believe). Another backer... Lex Luthor, who is now taking a big part.

Vanity City is destined for where the shadow god will arrive next. The city has been occupied by a variety of villany and scum, and scummy heroes as well, whose sole purpose is to look good, as opposed to anything else.  Sort of like the heroes in The Tick (Besides The Tick and Arthur), and Six-Pac from Hitman.  Aztek arrived and stopped the murdering hero Bloodtype (formerly the hero Mr. America), who was killed.  Bloodtype took out "The Piper" whose real name is Curt Falconer.  Uno took that name as his own, and in doing so, acquired the job at the local hospital that Falconer was supposed to.

His medical procedures are a bit "Herbalistic" and Native American, but they work.

Death Doll (Formerly Liberty Lass) took revenge against Aztek, but, using a broken teleporter, was killed by being teleported into a statue.

The Lizard King, formerly a soldier and previous vessel for the Q-Society, attacked Aztek with the intent to kill him, but the HELMET destroyed him (Am I right on this point?  Any readers?).

The Joker then took vacation in Vanity City, and believed himself to be quite evil.  He created, through the local gadgeteer, Fixit, dancing, hypnotic crickets.  Aztek teamed up with Batman to solve this crime, but Aztek was damaged in the battle.  He went back to the Q-Society.

The Q-Society wants Aztek in the public eye now, as does it's major backer, Lex Luthor.  Lexcorp has supplied Aztek with a bachelor pad, and has given all the doctors who know of Aztek's secret identity and Curt Falconer's original identity, lobotomies.  If Luthor's plans unfold, Aztek is slated to join the JLA.

Recently we also found out about Aztek's betrothed, another Q-Society member, and Uno's replacement.

When Aztek will go to Metropolis soon to help out a comatose child whose only hope of recovery is encouragement from Superman.  Instead, Aztek runs afoul of The Parasite.

He eventually sacrifices himself to stop Mageddon (=Tezcatlipoca).

Doing a Google search for "Aztek the Ultimate Man" should yield the results/answers you're looking for.

Likewise for Zauriel.......

Just to add to your confusion: Grant Morrison wanted Zauriel to be the new Hawkman (there was no Hawkman in the DC Universe at the time) but was denied permission by DC editorial, who considered Hawkman's continuity to be hopelessly convoluted.

Funny, Millar co-wrote a lot of the Aztek issues as well as the JLA issues at the time..... Not to mention taking over for Ellis on The Authority. He was the '#2' of comics in the late 90's.... :D

As for Genesis: If you search on Wikipedia, they have a brief overveiw as well as an external link for a longer synopsis.

You should also look up Zauriel on Wikipedia, they've got a lengthy entry.

The DC Chronology project also includes all of the above in its timeline......

Funny, Millar co-wrote a lot of the Aztek issues as well as the JLA issues at the time..... Not to mention taking over for Ellis on The Authority.  He was the '#2' of comics in the late 90's....  :D

As for Genesis:  If you search on Wikipedia, they have a brief overveiw as well as an external link for a longer synopsis. 

You should also look up Zauriel on Wikipedia, they've got a lengthy entry.

The DC Chronology project also includes all of the above in its timeline......

Well Millar and Morrison are sort of Nationalist buddies, aren't they?

JMac mentioned that one of Millars Authority had been ghost written by Morrison.

Plus they worked together in practically the same fashion for Swamp Thing.

Morrison also claims to have given Millar the ending to Superman: Red Son, on the grounds that it was a great idea he'd had buzzing around his head for ages, and Millar would be able to make good use of it.

They are (or were) mates, definitely - as you mentioned, they've worked together in the past, and come from the same part of the world, so presumably spend a fair bit of time together. The UK comics community is a small and incestuous one, anyway...

Morrison helped Millar break into comics, right?

Morrison & Millar did not co-write any of the JLA comics.

They did co-write a few spin-off projects, but none of the main JLA comics.

I do have some JLA mini-series that was about Zauriel. Something about Heaven. I forget the name of it. I found them in a quarter bin and picked them up. They weren't bad, but they weren't called "Zauriel".

They ghost-wrote together, as mentioned above.

But you're right, they didn't 'officially' co-write.

(Admittedly, I also thought Millar wrote the fill-in issues on JLA for GM, until I just realized it was Mark Waid. I am a moron.)

TESTOSTEROHNE:

Anyone read the Aztek series ...?

AVOID! AVOID! I read the first 3 issues of Aztek. They were laughably bad. It was like a high school kid had written & drawn them. Seriously, they were 3 of the shittiest comics I've ever read. Christian, did the series make it past #9?

#10 is going for $25 when you can find it on the internet!

You didn't like Aztek?!

I've really enjoyed all the issue of Aztek I've read. They read like up-dated, off kilter versions of Silver Age comics.

It was Morrison's attempt to bring back Silver Age style superheroes for a new comics audience.

I have the entire series of 10 issues of Aztek. It had a lot of promise that it didn't really fulfill but I still thought it was pretty good.

I do have some JLA mini-series that was about Zauriel. Something about Heaven. I forget the name of it. I found them in a quarter bin and picked them up. They weren't bad, but they weren't called "Zauriel".

Was it imaginatively called Paradise Lost?

Trace, Millar atleast officially did do one issue of JLA.

#27 methinks.

Vindication!

Eat that Christian!!  :tongue:

Yet another one to add to the cannibal hordes that currently includes myself and TestosteRohne. :biggrin:

I had an inkling that Millar had officially done an issue but I;m far too lazy to actually go and look at the issues to find it.

Christian, Inca, have you guys re-read Aztek recently? Check out the first 3 issues and tell me it's as good as you remember.

I'd let this go, but Aztek was soooo bad. And it's by two A-list writers. :huh:

The argument was that Morrison & Millar co-wrote issues of the actual JLA comic, so my original stance is still correct!

Yeah. I think it was called "JLA:Paradise Lost", now that you mention it. I was thinking it was called "JLA:Heaven's Ladder" for some reason....

I read those issues of Aztek within the last year and a half (this includes the first 3). I just started buying them not too long ago when I figured out that Morrison worked on the title.