Sign in to follow this  
TestosteRohne

Re-Reading Morrison's JLA

Must we use the way back machine?

Jay's arch-nemesis states:

Funny, Millar co-wrote a lot of the Aztek issues as well as the JLA issues at the time

Christian replies:

Morrison & Millar did not co-write any of the JLA comics.

They did co-write a few spin-off projects, but none of the main JLA comics.

Christian was right!

I'm thinking Test needs to get Iron Fisted for saying "filler wishes".

:laugh:

He was right about Millar writing (solo, with no hint of Morrison) issue #27.

Typical Iron Fist'd denial......

So I'm "Jay's arch-nemesis" now?

To quote Morrison

I'll bet you make a great superhero, despite what you say.

Maybe all you really need is some sort of nemesis.

You know like a deadly Arch Villain of you very own...

Though I don't which out of Trace and Jay is the Hero and which the Arch Villain. :biggrin:

Christian, Inca, have you guys re-read Aztek recently? Check out the first 3 issues and tell me it's as good as you remember.

I'd let this go, but Aztek was soooo bad. And it's by two A-list writers.  :huh:

Jason it's true that it's been a long while since I read them but I'll see if I can find them today and give them a re-read this week sometime. I'll be back with an updated opinion then.

I'm thinking Test needs to get Iron Fisted for saying "filler wishes".

:laugh:

He was right about Millar writing (solo, with no hint of Morrison) issue #27.

Brokeback christ, what kind of Freudian slip was that?!

Does Iron fisted predate Manthing'd?

ELECTRICINCA:

Jason it's true that it's been a long while since I read them but I'll see if I can find them today and give them a re-read this week sometime. I'll be back with an updated opinion then.

Cheers, squire!

TestosteRohne, your sig line is a Hubba Bubba nightmare. ;) I meant to tell you sooner.

Okay, you get bonus points for that one. Mind you, if you'd squeezed my avatar and said you just don't like that frog, you'd have been The Chosen One.

I've waited my whole life to have a conversation this obscure on the intarweb.

Okay, you get bonus points for that one. Mind you, if you'd squeezed my avatar and said you just don't like that frog, you'd have been The Chosen One.

I've waited my whole life to have a conversation this obscure on the intarweb.

You ever drink Baileys from a shoe?

Do you want to got to a club where they wee on each other?

I'm old Greg!

What?! Don't say abstruse things. We're trying to have a serious conversation here. :D

TestosteRohne: "Are you high?"

Okay, one of us just used a quote the other didn't recognise. But I can't tell who. :unsure:

My brain hurts. Wanna stop?

Contravening my thread posting, and as breathless and reinventive Morrison's run was, I rather prefer Mark Waid's smaller run.

Morrison did some great characterisations, but I feel Waid's stories were character first with the storylines and brain bursting plots coming second.

They were more confident and leaned less on the dazzling-overwhelming- desperate-to-please that I sometimes creeps in to Morrisons work (A lot of the Invisables).

I dont sniff any pretension in his run.

Again Morrison's JLA blows me away every time, and is reamed full of iconic moments.

Waid may just have been following the logical progression set out by Morrison, but Waid's work had me thinking about it long after I was finished reading it.

I've read a lot of his stuff, but it seems that Waid needs a comic masterpiece.

He's not a Vertigo fella either, and sems happy to write Superheroes.

Again, i've read a lot of his stuff, i just no nothing about him.

I wholeheartedly agree; I thought Waid did a better job on JLA.

Personally, Morrison's run on X-Men was a lot more enjoyable for me than his JLA work.

2 reasons:

1) The X-Men were the first comic characters I ever read.

2) The art was, for the most part, excellent.

Yes there were some weak issues and some terrible art (Kordey, for one), but overall I found it to be far superior to the JLA stuff.

No idea, inca!

I enjoyed Waid's JLA, but Morrison's run was more what I wanted to read with JLA.

Test-My enjoyment of Waid is limited. Sometimes I really enjoy his writing, other times, it bores me.

I recommend reading Waid's run on "Fantastic Four". It was a lot of great fun! It was the most enjoyable F.F. since John Byrne.

Trace, go directly to Jail, do not pass go and do not collect $200.

Seriosuly how can anyone prefer his X-Men stuff to his JLA stuff?

Didn't you read my above post?

Oh, and one more reason:

3) My knowledge of the DCU, and especially, the JLA is practically nil.

Yeah I read it Trace.

I can see how you might have enjoyed the X-men stuff more as you have a personal connection to the characters that you don't with the JLA and the art was mostly excellent also.

But I think Morrison's JLA stuff was better written than his X-Men stories, so I think your critical judgment has been impaired by your personal bias. :tongue:

It's cool mate I'm not trying to convince you and the previous comment was made when I was drunk and half-asleep.

Well, Trace, when I read Morrison's JLA my knowledge of the DCU came from Animal Man and Swamp Thing.

I grew up reading X-Men, and still read "Uncanny X-Men" even though the writing is god-awful, because I love those characters so much.

As I stated elsewhere, I love the Marvel Universe far more than I could ever enjoy the DCU.

Yet, I didn't really like most of Morrison's run on "X-Men", but I loved his JLA.

ELECTRICINCA:

It's cool mate I'm not trying to convince you and the previous comment was made when I was drunk and half-asleep.

Posting from work? :biggrin:

Hmmm, I guess I'm just a sucker for pretentious, self-referential, existential mental wank.... So X-Men worked perfectly for me. :biggrin:

I honestly feel that Morrison cut his teeth on JLA, and really refined/honed his talent for writing mainstream superheroes by the time he hit X-Men. The opening arc, the mental affair, the fact that he completely re-wrote Captain America's history, and the (mostly) fantastic art just completely sold me. It also had a slightly more mature tone than JLA (especially during Quitely's issues).

But I can totally see your guys's perspective....