dogpoet

Garth Ennis' masterwork...

What is it?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What is it?

• Hitman
    • Preacher

I'm tending towards Hitman. It's a pity miniseries are inelligible for this sort of thing, because Unknown Soldier is hugely good, if only because it's the only thing where there's a relationship between two characters that isn't ridiculed (though this is probably because Clyde and Jayne never actually had sex...)

I reckon the work he's doing on Punisher is some of the best of his career. Its a lot les flabby than either preacher or hitman.

man but i do wish they collect up the rest of hitman.

I reckon the work he's doing on Punisher is some of the best of his career. Its a lot les flabby than either preacher or hitman. 

man but i do wish they collect up the rest of hitman.

I have no idea why they haven't. It's some of his best work. Presumably DC haven't because there was an issue where he was mocking the stupid crossover events ("remember when the sun went out and they turned it back on again?")

Oh, and just for the record, the Punisher doesn't count any more than Hellblazer because it isn't his intellectual property. So it's just Hitman, Preacher and the miniseries that don't count.

Oh, and just for the record, the Punisher doesn't count any more than Hellblazer because it isn't his intellectual property. So it's just Hitman, Preacher and the miniseries that don't count.

I will refrain from voting as I have not read Hitman! I loves me some Preacher, though!

I have to go with Preacher. I love Hitman, but being on the DC label meant that it wasn't as violent or crude as it really could/should have been.

who died and made you the rule master? :rolleyes:

who died and made you the rule master? :rolleyes:

Will Eisner.

I have to go with Preacher. I love Hitman, but being on the DC label meant that it wasn't as violent or crude as it really could/should have been.

Yeah in Hitman you could tell "Oh that's were he would've used 'fuck' or that's were this guy's head would've been in pieces."

Yeah in Hitman you could tell "Oh that's were he would've used 'fuck' or that's were this guy's head would've been in pieces."

It doesn't make it a lesser work.

It's too bad mini-series dont' count, because i like his "War Stories" books.

Yeah. I'd have to go with "Pride & Joy".

Truthfully, I could never get into "Hitman", so I'd have to vote for "Preacher" by default. While I enjoyed most of "Preacher", I refrain from voting in a Poll that would put the words "masterwork" next to "Preacher".

Guest spiderlegs

Count me into the definite minority of those who found HITMAN uninteresting. I have read the first 12 or so issues and I have to say I yawned my through it. I got it due to this group's recommendation, and it was one of only 3 titles of the many recommendations you all have made that I just didn't care for. Similarly to the way some of you feel about TRANSMET, which is my favorite, but it takes all kinds to make a world.

And all that bullshit in the above paragraph simply means PREACHER fucking rocks. It was once my all-time favorite until being supplanted by TRANSMET.

Hitman was, aside from a few small dips towards the end (dinosaurs and all that) continually great. Preacher trailed off after War in the Sun.

Ergo: Hitman uber alles.

It does to me. I feel that he was restraining or censoring himself a lot of time. But then maybe he wasn't. He knew the restrictions of writing on a major label and probably operated within that context.

Miniseries don't count? Did I miss the rules in another thread?

I just thought we could stick to ongoing series as the miniseries are a whole other argument, really. (Particularly given that most of the better ones involve characters Ennis didn't come up with himself.)

It does to me. I feel that he was restraining or censoring himself a lot of time. But then maybe he wasn't. He knew the restrictions of writing on a major label and probably operated within that context.

You see, I don't feel that the restrictions did the story any harm, if only because it's the only Ennis comic that contains no hilarious jokes about deviant rumpy pumpy.

(Though that also applies to a few of the miniseries, now I think about it.)

You see, I don't feel that the restrictions did the story any harm, if only because it's the only Ennis comic that contains no hilarious jokes about deviant rumpy pumpy.

yeah, I see where you're coming from.

Preacher was a book I instantly fell in love with and it reinvigorated my love for comic books. It has many faults, however, and is only good for the first 25 issues. Hitman was consistently good from start to finish and didn't have to cop out to assface humor. Fuck, I think I'd like to change my vote to Hitman.

yeah, I see where you're coming from.

Preacher was a book I instantly fell in love with and it reinvigorated my love for comic books. It has many faults, however, and is only good for the first 25 issues. Hitman was consistently good from start to finish and didn't have to cop out to assface humor. Fuck, I think I'd like to change my vote to Hitman.

It's a much darker story as well, which is odd given that this was the one published for the kids and the other was on the mature readers impression...

If we are talking masterwork I'd say Pride and Joy but out of the choice of Hitman or Preacher I'm with JMac it has to be Hitman by a country-fucking-mile.