dogpoet

Garth Ennis' masterwork...

What is it?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What is it?

• Hitman
    • Preacher

I think Ennis' writing on HB was better than on Preacher or Hitman, for whatever that's worth.

In places it definitely is, but there were a lot of deeply half arsed stories (don't even get me started on The Pub Where I was Born) and I never thought he had the character of Constantine quite right.

Ennis wasnt censoring himself in Hitman, he was merely working under the restrictions of DC. Sense Hitman was a "DC" title and not a Vertigo or Wildstorm one, he could only go so far before DC editors called him up and complained.

I haven't read Hitman. What is it like? Or about?

Tommy Monaghan, a - yes! - hitman living in Gotham City, is gifted with telepathy and x-ray vision after being attacked by an alien. Rather than use his powers for good, he decides to use them to become an even better assassin, taking on contracts for supervillains (Tommy's got this thing about only killing "bad guys").

I don't want to say too much more about it, because the arc plot is great. But it's definitely worth rooting out all 60 back issues, plus the annual and the Hitman/Lobo special. Make sure you read them in the right order, though!

Oh yeah - there are a few trades, but most of them are out of print, so good luck finding them:

1- Hitman

2- 10,000 Bullets

3- Local Hero

4- Ace of Killers

5- Who Dares Wins

That'll take you up to issue 28.

Wasn't the Kit solo story in H.B. also called "Heartland" though?

There was a one-shot Kit special called "Heartland", which is an amazing little story. Ennis at his best.

Many may think that Ennis is at his best when writing violent, gore-ridden stories, but no. Ennis is truly at his best writing quiet stories about sad, drunk Irish people.

Hmm.....

Yeah I was talking about the one-shot. But yeah HB #70 was probably called Heartland as well....

Guest spiderlegs
Preacher trailed off after War in the Sun.

I agree that it should have ended with War in the Sun, but the writing up to that point was epic. I found Hitman's characters, mainly the villains, to be TOO cartoonish over-the-top silly. I just felt like many of its resolutions were convenient and/or lucky. I found the first 6 or so issues--the first trade--to be entertaining, but it simply doesn't compare (IMO) to situations like Cassady (mistaken for Custer) being tortured by the Grail, Starr's ascension to Allfather driven by his obsession with Custer and STarr's disfunctional staff, even Odin Quincannon's meat fetish, though I didn't enjoy most of Custer's stay in Salvation, especially the reunion with his mom, the nazi guy, and his stint as sherrif (which is a plot device overdone in cinema). All of that was silly melodrama.

The Alamo should have been more spectacular if it had to be written, but I still think the writing up to War was as compelling as anything Ennis has written.

And while I enjoyed his stint on HB--he was my favorite writer of the series at one point--I think his expository writing in between action scenes could go a bit long. But his character development--Kit and her family and friends, for example, and John's descent into alcoholism and those with whom he interacts--was amazing. You really got to know them which made it painful to lose them. I'm thinking of the beginning of Rake at the Gates of Hell as a good example of losing people we'd gotten to know very well.

Which TPB was the one-shot Heartland collected in? I thought it was Tainted Love, but it turns out it wasn't.

Which TPB was the one-shot Heartland collected in? I thought it was Tainted Love, but it turns out it wasn't.

Is it in the collection of the story with the nazis? (Can't remember the title of that one offhand.)

Is it in the collection of the story with the nazis? (Can't remember the title of that one offhand.)

Fear & Loathing? I don't think so. I own that one and it doesn't have it.

The first Heartland was at the end of Tainted Love, I believe. The bigger, better Heartland appears at the end of Rake at the Gates of Hell.

Thanks.

There was a one-shot Kit special called "Heartland", which is an amazing little story. Ennis at his best.

I think Heartland is the single best issue of any comic that he's written.

Many may think that Ennis is at his best when writing violent, gore-ridden stories, but no. Ennis is truly at his best writing quiet stories about sad, drunk Irish people.

I think he's very good when he writes about sad, drunk Irish people, and he's very good when he writes about a particular, sometimes sad, drunk Englishman. But he's best when he writes about Northern Ireland, and I'd like to see him do more of that.

I think he's very good when he writes about sad, drunk Irish people, and he's very good when he writes about a particular, sometimes sad, drunk Englishman. But he's best when he writes about Northern Ireland, and I'd like to see him do more of that.

Have you read Troubled Souls?

Which Heartland? The special or the actual Hellblazer issue?

Oh, so there were two Heartlands? I think it was the special one. Kit went back to Belfast to stay with family. Her sister's boyfriend was there also.

I got Hitman: Ace of Killers from the library but I haven't read any of the previous threads yet. Should I read it? Or should I put it off and read them in order?