JohnMcMahon

What Mike Carey did next

I find he's actually quite good at writing science fiction.

By the way, I would hardly call this "hard sci-fi". It's "soft social sci-fi", with the intent being to question religious fundamentalism and patriarchy in a satirical context....the point was certainly not to tell us about how space travel works, or what exactly would be involved in a surgical procedure as described being done to the citizens of that planet.

Anyway, yeah, his run on Ultimate Fantastic Four was amazing, and even his Ultimate Vision mini-series was worth a read, both books which focused heavily on sci-fi over fantasy/horror. I was surprised by how well Carey did in that genre, myself, as I thought of him as a fantasy-type writer and didn't expect his writing style would do well with sci-fi (see: Neil Gaiman).

Maybe Ixnay's thinking of his SF work for 2000AD, which wasn't (unless I've forgotten something) as good as Carver Hale?

As for classifications, I'd call Barbarella old fashioned space opera, myself.

Yeah, there does seem to be set-up for some space opera elements also, with talk of a war brewing between Earth and the theocracy planet.

The movie was certainly space opera.

This first issue seemed to focus more on the social aspects of the society than anything else.

Barbarella is definitely not hard sci-fi though.

Anything with a galactic civilisation that seems to function (however slightly) is space opera. That's a given.

On 12/8/2017 at 3:12 PM, Christian said:

I find he's actually quite good at writing science fiction.

By the way, I would hardly call this "hard sci-fi". It's "soft social sci-fi", with the intent being to question religious fundamentalism and patriarchy in a satirical context....the point was certainly not to tell us about how space travel works, or what exactly would be involved in a surgical procedure as described being done to the citizens of that planet.

Anyway, yeah, his run on Ultimate Fantastic Four was amazing, and even his Ultimate Vision mini-series was worth a read, both books which focused heavily on sci-fi over fantasy/horror. I was surprised by how well Carey did in that genre, myself, as I thought of him as a fantasy-type writer and didn't expect his writing style would do well with sci-fi (see: Neil Gaiman).

Fair point about "hard sci-fi", I stand corrected.  I was just using it as a blanket term for science fiction in general, but there definitely IS a difference as you pointed out, and I agree that Barbarella definitely fits into the "soft" category.  

I think my feelings regarding Carey's science fiction work is that I simply haven't read anything by him from that genre.  Stuff like Lucifer, Hellblazer, and the Unwritten are my main points of exposure to his writing.  I guess the closest he's come to sci-fi for me would be his X-Men work, but even that was twinged more in dark drama and horror than anything else.  I knew he had a run on Ultimate Fantastic Four, but as I'm as likely to read a FF book as I am to light myself on fire for the fun of it, I've not read it.

Oh and I scored the last Paul Pope colour cover of Barbarella #2.
Because someone had moved it to the S section of last week's releases.
Presumably, distracted by a Suicide Squad they had just placed it there and wandered off.

The interior artwork is somewhat Little Nemo-ish in places and Farel Dalrymple in others, which is a great blend.