JohnMcMahon

What Mike Carey did next

Mark    333

Fair enough, I suppose. I suppose I can't really criticize the selections for Rare Cuts, as they're all good stories which aren't available anywhere else. #1 in particular is a lousy choice for newcomers, though, and #42 isn't the best standalone story, either (errr....because it's not a standalone story at all. Obvious, when you think about it).

James    38

I'd love to speak to whoever planned that collection out and ask exactly what the hell they were thinking. I'm sure I could have come up with three (or four, since ish 1 is double-length) better issues for the Hellblazer Collection.

Mark    333

I'm pretty sure most of us could have, frustratingly. If they hadn't limited themselves to already-collected issues, they could even have got far more fans of the comic to buy the film adaptation, increasing their potential profits - I know I'd have been a lot more inclined to pick it up if it had 4 previously-untraded issues attached to it (and there're plenty of untraded issues which'd make a better introduction to the character than the ones they've chosen, for all the reasons we've already discussed). As it stands, I ain't going near the thing, and I'm sure a fair majority of fans of the comic feel the same way.

James    38

I'm more worried about the potential Hellblazer converts who'll be put off by it. If your first encounter with Hellblazer (or, god forbid, comics) ends with you having to fork out another £25 just to find out what happens, then you could well be put off for life.

sethos    5

having spent the last few days reading through the first five Lucifer trades, I have to say that I am totally hooked. Also, I want a Lucifer and Mazikeen dual action figure set.

Red    467
having spent the last  few days reading through the first five Lucifer trades, I have to say that I am totally hooked. Also, I want a Lucifer and Mazikeen dual action figure set.

Good, good, now start ordering the monthlies. And pop by the Morningstar site for discussions!

In other news...I see Mark har graced his signature with a quote. Just don't take it too literally, is all I ask...;)

sethos    5
having spent the last  few days reading through the first five Lucifer trades, I have to say that I am totally hooked. Also, I want a Lucifer and Mazikeen dual action figure set.

Good, good, now start ordering the monthlies. And pop by the Morningstar site for discussions!

In other news...I see Mark har graced his signature with a quote. Just don't take it too literally, is all I ask...;)

sorry, but no, won't order the monthlies (and it really isn't necessary, I think: there only, what, a year of issues left to go?). I started out reading Lucifer that way, but after a while I gave up. Like Sandman, this is a series best read in trades, I think. I did ask my local store to order the other two trades though. ...

Red    467

I know something you don't. Nahnahnah. *pllbbrrrt*

James    38

Lucifer's really picking up speed now that the end of the universe is nigh (again). I wouldn't switch to trades for all the world.

Red    467

James has got the right idea, folks. I NEEDS my monthly Lucifer fix. The last issue still hasn't arrived at my comic pimp and I'm getting desperate.

JohnMcMahon    566

I just found that the story arcs read a whole lot better when taken as a whole.

Read the first part of his Batman story last night and dug it - a member of a travelling circus' freakshow is murdered on the outskirts of Gotham, the authorities put it down as an accidental death so the freaks take it upon themselves to find the person responsible.

JohnMcMahon    566

CBR Column on Red Sonja

Dynamite Entertainment, through their own imprint, will bring the fiery red head back in to print with a new series co-written by Michael Avon Oeming ("Thor") and Mike Carey ("Ultimate Elektra," "Lucifer," "Hellblazer") and illustrated by Mel Rubi.

Mark    333
Michael Avon Oeming ("Thor")

Shurely Shome Mishtake?

Michael Avon Oeming ("16 Naked Faery Chicks")

Red    467

So, are they fairies as in "with gossamer wings etc." or fairies as in, you know, preferring manly erotic escapades?

Red    467

Ah, sounds classic!

Edit: Sort of like this, eh?

sketch_Oeming_Nude_Fairy.jpg

sethos    5

I do actually like the way he drew her face and hair... it reminds me of some of the imagery on celtic burial grounds and such.

Mark    333

There were 14 more of them (14! You see what he did there?), but that was a definite 'highlight'.

Thanks, Mike.

sethos    5
There were 14 more of them (14! You see what he did there?), but that was a definite 'highlight'.

Thanks, Mike.

to be honest, my morbid curiosity now demands I see the other 14. :icon_rolleyes:

Rogan    176

finished Ultimate Elektra. it didn't exactly suck, but the story was a bit unengaging. Loved how Mike renamed Bullseye to "Pointdexter", though...