JohnMcMahon

What Mike Carey did next

JohnMcMahon    566

Sounds like it's geared towards a young audience so I probably won't be going for it myself - it's bound to get traded so if the word is good I'll get it then.

wolfram    1

Like the world needed another freaking teen witch book. I mean come on, wasn't Sabrina enough?

Still, the interview above gives these tantalizing tidbits:

Manolis: What other projects are you currently working on?

Mike: Quite a lot, really. I'm writing the comics adaptation of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere for Vertigo; I'm also working on another project with Sonny Liew and Marc Hempel, Re-Gifters, which will be out later this year, and another OGN with John Bolton which will come out under the Sandman Presents umbrella. I'm still working on the relaunch of Wetworks with Whilce Portacio, and I'm talking to the Vertigo editorial team about maybe starting up another ongoing book after Lucifer finishes in a year's time �" hopefully that will include some more work with Lucifer artist Peter Gross, who I really enjoy collaborating with. Outside of comics, I'm writing a series of novels for Orbit with an exorcist as the central character, and another movie screenplay for UK production company Hadaly Pictures. I’ve done one movie with them already, Frost Flowers, which goes into production in June 2005.

That feels like a pretty full slate, but I’m having such a good time I don’t think much about whether it’s a light or a heavy workload. I just keep hammering at the keys on my PC, some of which now have the actual letters on them rubbed away so that I have to work from memory…

JohnMcMahon    566

Mike's lucky I forgot all about his planned Wetworks launch when we saw him in London - I've a sick love for that series and I could've spent hours trying to convince him to bring Jester back.

Rogan    176

Lucifer #58 - really good stuff - first the Eight Sin, now the Yahweh Dance - Mike should write single issue stories more often!

Chris    2

Yeah, and the artist of that issue was pretty good too. Ronald Wimberly I believe his name was. Never heard of him before. Anyone know what else he's done?

Rogan    176

From an interview with Jae Lee on Dynamic forces website:

DF: What's your next big project?

JAE LEE: I'll be drawing a stand alone issue of Hulk #82 written by Peter David. It's a dark and moody tale of tragic love for the Hulk. I'm also doing a story arc on Ultimate Fantastic Four with Mike Carey from Vertigo fame. And then, I'll be starting up a new series for Marvel that I can't talk about yet. Let's just say I've worked on this series before.

Josh    6

From Colleen Doran, who I think has already done the art for Lucifer #62:

"It looks like I will be doing another issue of Lucifer in a few months. I think I already mentioned that, but here it is again. I talked with the editor and writer this week.

"I can't say enough good things about Mike Carey as a writer. He is wonderful. The Lucifer series is thoughtful, creepy, and very carefully crafted. It really is one of the best comics being published today. Mike Kaluta dropped me a note to say that he would also be doing the interior work on a single issue of the series, as well as providing the covers, which are always gorgeous."

Lucifer #58 - really good stuff - first the Eight Sin, now the Yahweh Dance - Mike should write single issue stories more often!

Yeah, his single issues are pretty great. Also like the one about the little demons going through hell to find a cure for Elaine's death.

"Holy Mother of FUCK!"

Recently, I read MY FAITH IN FRANKIE. I prefer the full sized color of the single issues, but the b&w digest collection doesn't lose too much. Carey made a great choice by creating an entirely fictional pantheon rather than rely on actual mythology.

James    38

I love Frankie, though I can't help wondering if it would have been better as a "proper" romantic comedy about a guy, a girl and her god without the demonic revenge plot.

A. Heathen    1,131
I love Frankie, though I can't help wondering if it would have been better as a "proper" romantic comedy about a guy, a girl and her god without the demonic revenge plot.

It is a proper romantic comedy about a guy, a girl, her ex and his ex.

:-P

As per your classic Hollywood romantic comedy being a four-hander not a three-way.

I see your point. I felt the same about Whedon's BLOOD AND WATER series about vampires. If it had just been about "slacker" vampires without the "return of an ancient evil" plotline, I think it would have been more interesting.

I didn't mind the demon plotline, but it seemed to dampen some of the potential drama by turning Dean into a deceptive bastard. It weakened Frankie's choice since she wasn't really choosing between Jerivan or a realistic "love of her life."

Nevertheless, it still managed to be quite charming and endearing.

James    38

Good grief, Johnny, I agree with you! This is a sign of the End Times.

It is a proper romantic comedy about a guy, a girl, her ex and his ex.

But as Johnny points out, Frankie's not really left with a choice between Jeriven and Dean, since the latter's utter bastardry precludes her falling for him. It shifts away from the romantic comedy genre and into action comedy, albeit with Kay's romantic subplot tying it all up at the end. I dunno, I just wanted a conventional-in-structure-if-unconventional-in-content romcom.

But hey! That's me criticising a comic for not being something it was never intended to be, and I hate it when people do that.

James    38

Yeah, but at least Zane actually wanted Winslet. Dean was more interested in fucking over Jerivan, with the added bonus of getting to shag Frankie.

A. Heathen    1,131
Yeah, but at least Zane actually wanted Winslet. Dean was more interested in fucking over Jerivan, with the added bonus of getting to shag Frankie.

Zane wanted to fuck Winslet.

But he wanted to fuck Dicrapio over.

Thus he wins.