JohnMcMahon

What Mike Carey did next

I'm complaining about the wording, not the sentiment. Calling someone mindless for having a different preference in reading matter to you is the same principle as Christian calling people "sick, twisted souls".

(Like I said, I could see the hyperbole in Christian's comment and took it as good-humoured.)

I didn't take him particularly seriously either, though - that's why I went for the snarky put-down rather than actually getting annoyed, which I would have done if I thought he was entirely serious. Serious or not, though, it wasn't much of a criticism of the book, and certainly not sufficient to justify the extreme dislike for it which he'd expressed in the "Comics you're reading" thread.

"I didn't enjoy this because I have difficulty engaging with fiction without at least one sympathetic/relatable character" is a perfectly reasonable response to a piece of fiction. "I don't understand how anyone else could enjoy it for the same reason" is, again, fair, albeit slightly blinkered or self-centred. "I didn't like this for my own subjective reasons, and anyone who disagrees with me must have something wrong with them" is just silliness. Crucially, though, none of the above amounts to actual criticism of the work in question, which is why I didn't bother responding with anything more substantial.

Since then, Christian's elaborated on his point slightly, but I've got very little to add in response to it beyond what you and James have already said.

I'm complaining about the wording, not the sentiment. Calling someone mindless for having a different preference in reading matter to you is the same principle as Christian calling people "sick, twisted souls".

Actually I wasn't calling anybody mindless: "mindlessly empathasisng" was more a comment about undemanding reads.

I liked the first issue of Faker. I think there is at least one "likeable" character--- Nic.

Loving Crossing Midnight. Some of Carey's best work and the art, she is a nice!

Actually I wasn't calling anybody mindless: "mindlessly empathasisng" was more a comment about undemanding reads.

Sorry, I misunderstood...

Sorry, I misunderstood...

No problem. I could see how it might be interpreted as a diss, and should have tried to be a bit clearer.

Having paid ZERO attention to all posts in this thread since my query about Faker (sorry, work, arse kicking etc.), my opinions on same now follow :

That foreshadowing (cybernetics etc.) was so clumsy that there's no way it could have anything to do with the actual story being told.

It might not be the cause of the problem but it could be the solution. Aaaah.

My sister liked the cover so much that she actually bothered trying to read it, but gave up before the fantasy twist because "it's like Hollyoaks". Tch.

Once upon a time, Hollyoaks used to have plots (and less cleavage).

This'd be before anybody started watching it, then?

Hollyoaks started in 1995. According to wikipedia Atkinson first appeared in it in 2001.

And she only got the implants last year.

Ha! Take that, McMahon.

According to wikipedia

Yeah, sure, you had to look it all up. Uh-hu.

In other news, I'm only a hundred or so pages into 'The Devil You Know' but I'm not feeling Felix Castor at all, he's a little 'What If...John Constantine Was Created By Neil Gaiman'.

He's generally a bit nicer and less bitter than Constantine, though.

My brain, which has a shit casting department, put David Tennant in the role. Though it was probably just because I saw him in a trenchcoat in Doctor Who at roughly the same time.

If that company goes ahead with a TV show of Castor, we should get Rupert Pupkin to kidnap Mike and have the put Paul Bettany in the role for a laugh.

John, did you get the whole "Bible as written by Neil Gaiman" thing when you read The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe?

That was more the bible by way of Jim Henson.

Second hundred, much more enjoyable than the first. The characters and mythology (lurved the explanation for Lycantropes) of the world around Castor are so strong as to almost have me warming to the man himself.

I think Castor's the best thing Mike's written. Or, at the very least, they're my favourites.

Firstly, it's his. Secondly, I genuinely like Castor more than that other trenchcoaty fellah we all read about and I like how he's crapper and not obviously tough enough to take on the things he does. Thirdly, I love Mike's London.

Faker - I really, really enjoyed. In terms of unsympathetic characters, there's a big difference between *empathising* and *sympathising* with a character. Also, after all the super hero shenanigannery, it's nice to see Mike back being a bit mean and sly with his stories. (I also was reading this comic whilst sitting on my own in my favourite all you can eat Chinese buffet so I was a very happy fat lad). Certainly gonna get the second issue anyway. Something is afoot (not just Sarah Jessica Parker either!)

John, did you get the whole "Bible as written by Neil Gaiman" thing when you read The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe?

It's more, "E E Nesbitt if she'd been dropped on her head as a child" up until the last book, surely?

The main thing I took from the Narnia books was that, if your kids have good imaginations, it's fine for you to shove them in wardrobes.

The main thing I took from the Narnia books was that, if your kids have good imaginations, it's fine for you to shove them in wardrobes.

Only if you're Christian.