JohnMcMahon

What Mike Carey did next

Finally got a chance to sit down and finish the first Castor novel and have to say that I ended up really enjoying it. Probably my second favourite Carey read after Lucifer.

That's even taking into account the return of the infamous '[over-used word] bubble', albeit just by allusion :happy:

I dunno - the first book kept surprising me, but I was a little ahead of Castor in the second. Both were great fun, though. Really need to pick up the third one.

It's a fair point, James, but I preferred the characters in the second one.

Third one isn't out yet, is it ?

At the risk of Uncle Ade shouting at me, I think the Devil You Know would've made a cracking little Hellblazer arc.

Out in September, apparently. After the six-month gap between the first and second books, I thought it would be out quicker than that.

Third one isn't out yet, is it ?

At the risk of Uncle Ade shouting at me, I think the Devil You Know would've made a cracking little Hellblazer arc.

It would.

US launch and publicity first. That's' why we have to wait.

Finally got around to Faker#1: nasty characters, an interesting set up, and Dickian reality lurch in the last few pages. I was quite taken with the art as well, which may well be less blocky than Jock usually is, but had a stronger whiff of Sean Phillips to it than usual, so that's fine.

I'm a bit dubious about the comparison to Finals, though. That was a ludicrously (and enjoyably) over the top parody, whereas this seems more about something strange happening in a more or less mimetic reality, and nothing that happens in Finals is actually condiered strange or unusual in that context by any of the participants, is it?

The final event lined up so far will be an evening with Mike Carey, probably best known for his comic book writing of the X-Men and Ultimate Fantastic Four. Mike will be talking about his latest Felix Castor novel Dead Man's Boots on Thursday 25 October at the Rutherford Theatre, 76 Portland Place, London W1B 1NT.

Tickets £7, concessions £5

Bookings can be made by calling

0845 456 9876

Lines are open Mon - Fri, 9.30am to 6.00pm or visit

Blackwell, 100 Charing Cross Road, London WC2H 0JG

Again, we will be running a competition for tickets and books closer to the time.

http://www.sci-fi-london.com/news/article/1185402300/6

Peter F Hamilton then William Gibson on sooner, and Neil Gaiman in conversation with Susanna Clarke

Guest spiderlegs

Alrighty, then. I picked up both issues today. I will hold you personally responsible if I'm not tickled pink by them! :lol: I flipped through #1 the same day I asked if you recommended FAKER, and it looked decent enough then, but I had financial priorities, a list I planned to adhere to.

But don't think you're off the hook! :wacko: ;)

Issue 1 of Faker didn't grab me, but I just finished issue 2 and liked it a lot. Can't wait to see where it leads.

Guest spiderlegs

I felt the same way. I bought 1 & 2 at the same time, reading them in immediate succession. I felt like #2 kicked into the story whereas #1 was a longer introduction. I enjoyed both issues, just the second was a little bit better.

Just read issue #2 and think Faker is the best thing Mike's done since the last stretch of Lucifer.

I agree that issue 2 kicks the story into gear but I loved the character set-up of the first issue. It's great that - even though we've got the 'inciting incident' of Nick - we still don't really know what the actual story is in a lot of ways.

And I grow more fond of Jock with everything of his I see.

I agree that issue 2 kicks the story into gear but I loved the character set-up of the first issue.

Yeah, good point. The characterisation was great in the first issue.

:biggrin: The mind boggles.

:biggrin: The mind boggles.

Good lord, sorry to leave a sentence so easily misconstrued...

What I meant to say was that I am deeply infatuated with Jock having now seen him naked.

While I enjoyed the first issue of Faker, the second has really sold me on the series - no doubt helped by the transition to some more sympathetic characters. It's a great concept and I can't wait to pick up the next issue.

I'm not sure about Jock's art, though. I've been impressed by everything else that I've seen of his (Losers, Hellblazer, Swamp Thing etc), but this book isn't wowing me that often. His forte seems to be dynamic action, so endless pages of talking heads isn't playing to his strengths - and the constant close-ups on the characters' faces, while nicely claustrophobic, make many of the panels incredibly samey. It's not bad or even offputting, but I would have liked to have seen this drawn by, say, Steve Dillon circa 1995.

I think he's doing fine outside ofthe comfort of action.

Was meant be Fegredo ~(was it initially announced as such?) but he's doing such a wonderful job on Hellboy, one cannot be bitter.

Oooh, didn't know it was meant to be Fegredo. (hmmmn...when I once met Mike at a con several years ago, he was sitting next to Fegredo...hmmn....)

Can anyone recommend any other Fegredo work I should check out beyond the amazing 'Enigma'?

I love Crossing Midnight, but I've been spoiled by Jim Fern's art on the series and no other penciller will do.

Just read Re-Gifters and it really is a great little book, especially since it feels like it's exactly the right length - too many OGNs feel like they could do with being a few pages longer.

Someone should send it to her what done Plain Janes so she can see how to make characters three-dimensional and plausible even if they only get a little page time.

Anyway, I'd kill for more Carey/Liew/Hempel stories. Fingers crossed Minx or Vertigo can bring them all back together.