JohnMcMahon

What Mike Carey did next

Oops, they're pages from #1, not really my thing by the looks of it.

Hopefully we'll hear something about new Carey projects soonish cause his most recent stuff isn't my bag.

Oops, they're pages from #1, not really my thing by the looks of it.

Hopefully we'll hear something about new Carey projects soonish cause his most recent stuff isn't my bag.

I'm assuming you're not talking about HB and Lucifer here...?

Course not!

I'm reading Lucifer in trades and his Hellblazer still rocks my world (well, for the most part, anyway).

His newer stuff though - Spellbinders, Ultimate Fantastic Four, Sonja - not aimed at my demographic.

Surely its time for a long run creator owned title from Mister Carey, writing Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore characters is all well and good but i'd love to see what Mike can come up with.

Very much agreed - though he has has got those Castor novels coming up. It'd be something of a shame if Lucifer was his big Vertigo book though (a strong read but still a Sandman spinoff) - time for his Preacher or Transmet.

Well, there was My Faith in Frankie, but that was short, and Inferno, which is excellent, but incomplete.

Inferno was a slow burn (sorry), took a while for me to get into but, by the end, I was gagging for more.

Thirteen is really good, quite probably my favourite ever Carey story - there's a few good laughs in there, a Carter USM lyric and a kind of downbeat ending too. The art is by a chap called Andy Clarke who's got a real Travis Charest vibe going on.

The twist at the end can be seen coming a mile away but just when it becomes obvious, the lead tells the reader to shut up and stop being so bloody clever - it was perfectly timed and kind of a little freaky actually!

I'd love to see some more of this, though spelling Thirteen as Th1rt3en isn't acceptable!

Mike spoke a little about some of his upcoming comics at Bristol -

He has a new mini-series coming out from Vertigo with art by Duncan Fergado.

He want's to do another project with Peter Gross (I think it was him, or maybe the other Lucifer artist ?) at Vertigo but they haven't come up with anything yet.

Frost Flowers, the movie he's involved with, is a love story between a man and a ghost - things get complicated when the ghost gets pregnant.

More details on the protagonist of Castor, the series of novels he's writing - he can attune himself to ghosts through music, composing the perfect piece for a ghost, helping it to cease to be.

Mike spoke a little about some of his upcoming comics at Bristol -

He has a new mini-series coming out from Vertigo with art by Duncan Fergado.

what's it about?

It's about six issues long.

The Peter Gross things have not been accepted by Vertigo so far (but they are determined).

And re Hellblazer ...

"Chas's lock up meets a terrible end"

It's interesting to note Mike's take on Lucifer being a family story, when in fact his whole arc on Hellbazer is even more so (two boys and a girl, just like Mr Carey).

"Old" as in "made three months ago"?

You might want to work on your snappy comebacks.

It's not a snappy comeback if I'm endorsing a joke made in reply to someone else.

You might want to work on your pedantry, but I'll still be the king of correcting people. ;)

I could probably have phrased it better, but my basic point stands - ie., the original joke which you're endorsing was made three months ago. Your response was somewhat lacking in timeliness.

X-Men #190-OK this is moving out of bearable territory. Half-way through the story-arc and the villains still have no clear defined personalities, the plot of the villains is still unclear, other than that it has to do with Sabretooth. And the art is making it all so much worse! This issue was nearly impossible to figure out. People were dying left and right at the X-mansion? Were they? No mention of who was killed, but from the art, it certainly looked like X-characters were being slaughtered. I have no idea though, because the art in the action scenes was incomprehensible.

Ugh. I miss Peter Milligan now. This better improve, because right now, it's not far removed from Chris Claremont's latest run on Uncanny.....and Carey is leagues ahead of modern day Claremont.

To me this was the better of the previous two issues. There were parts I had to look again to make sure what was going on, but overall it was an okay read. The art to me was far more better in this issue too. You can actually make out more stuff than the previous issues, thats for total sure. But hopefully all this gets explained later, because I am rather confused. I mean, why exactly don't the Children want to be known? :unsure: ahh well.

I was going to pick up Carey's Fantastic Four, but I'm not too sure. I really didn't like his X-Men/F4 crossover altho to me, he does no wrong on Hellblazer. Can't wait to see Black Flowers, tho! :laugh: