JohnMcMahon

What Mike Carey did next

It's what the kids want.

qv discussion on the "mike carey" forum.

five posts about Crossing Midnight, two about God Save The Queen, 703 about X-Men.

Le Yawn.

Well the Crossing Midnight trade isn't out yet and God Save The Queen is too expensive!

Not one post about Ultimate Fantastic Four or Ultimate Robot Tits ?

Ultimate Karen Stead dumped Ultimate Adrian Brown in issue #39, so I prefer Earth One Fantastic Four - the one in the Essentials. Also that one is for grown ups.

I like that one with the Tits Robot. That was a pleasant surprise.

Right, I've finished God Save The Queen, and enjoyed it hugely. As Adrian has said, the Mab thing is a new wrinkle, and the manner in which she manages to escape to wreak havoc is hugely clever.

Thanks for the link, Tony. Faker looks well worth a read.

The same preview page includes The Programme, Peter Milligan's new title, which by contrast looks like disposable superhero fare. "The evil Government invents a shocking new weapon — super powered people!!1!1!" Heard it.

Yeah. It is Rick Veitch's The One done over again, isn't it?

I expected more from Milligan. Maybe there'll be more to it, but I think they could easily call this The One Redux.

Yeah. It is Rick Veitch's The One done over again, isn't it?

That and the rest. In fairness though, maybe the solicitation text is misrepresentative.

Thanks for the link, Tony. Faker looks well worth a read.

The same preview page includes The Programme, Peter Milligan's new title, which by contrast looks like disposable superhero fare. "The evil Government invents a shocking new weapon — super powered people!!1!1!" Heard it.

Isn't it some third world country coming into possession of a decomissioned bunch of soviet supertypes?

Ah, it seems to be. It says the USSR is gone, but the superweapon they created shows up on one of America's many battlegrounds. So, most likely the superweapon is being used by a "Third World" nation.

It's still "the evil government creates a new weapon....superheroes". It's just the next stage over, post-Cold War.

Far more contemporary than The One.

I still say it's something we've seen before though.

Ah, it seems to be. It says the USSR is gone, but the superweapon they created shows up on one of America's many battlegrounds. So, most likely the superweapon is being used by a "Third World" nation.

It's still "the evil government creates a new weapon....superheroes". It's just the next stage over, post-Cold War.

Can't someone just send Milligan a loving letter of encouragement.

Did X-Men really break him so?

That said hopefully Milligan can bring something fresh and meaningful to all of this.

And on a similar vibe, Wintermen was the shit, where did that go?

Name me something Vertigo or Wildstorm are publishing that isn't.

(X Statix was pasted up from cliches as well. Can't you even extend the bloke three dollars worth of the benefit of the doubt, Christian?)

X-Statix was written as cliches on purpose. That was the whole premise of the book.

Yes, Veritgo and WildStorm are wholly unoriginal places right now. That doesn't mean I should cut a new project some slack because it's following trends.

Milligan is one of my favourite comic book writers. I've always given him the benefit of the doubt before. I'm one of the few people who defended Milligan's run on X-Men as a misunderstood piece of deadpan comedy. I'm just not overly impressed with the premise of this series.

Hopefully he's be able to bring something new to the table, like Twilight said.

CONFESSIONS OF A BLABBERMOUTH

MINX_COAB_TPB.jpg

Written by Mike Carey & Louise Carey

Art and cover by Aaron Alexovich

When Tasha’s mom brings home an annoying hack novelist boyfriend, Jed, and his deadpan daughter, her dysfunctional family is headed for a complete mental meltdown. But Tasha has her blog, BLABBERMOUTH, as the ultimate weapon — and she's not afraid to use it. Especially when she starts to suspect that the obnoxious Jed has a guilty secret that goes far beyond his bad prose.

Mike Carey (LUCIFER, Hellblazer, Crossing MidnighT, RE-GIFTERS) teams with co-writer Louise Carey, his 15-year-old daughter, who has written the Diary of a London Schoolgirl for the website of the London Metropolitan Archive and the novel-in-progress Bethany's Words.

Aaron Alexovich contributed character designs to Nickelodeon's Invader Zim and Avatar: The Last Airbender. His first published work was the critically lauded witch tale Serenity Rose for Slave Labor Graphics. Next up he is writing and drawing the MINX book, Kimmie66.

All MINX books contain 176 pages, black and white interiors with graytones and color covers. Each title also includes previews for three other MINX books as a special bonus.

Advance-solicited; on sale September 12 / 176 pg, B&W, $9.99 US

A novel at 15! Good grief. I barely had enough attention span to finish reading one at that age.

Like the expression on the character's face. Not sure why she's being played by the girl from Gen13 though.

Oh boy did I say that, I totally said that, I distinctly remember saying that...

8-)

It has to be better than Caitlin Moran's novel, doesn't it James?

Did you mean Caitlin Kiernan ?

I mean I have heard of Caitlin Moran (she's a music journo and a Midlander) and if she has written a novel it'd probably be quite droll. Cailtin Kiernan's novels are (according to Mrs B) quite enjoyable - ie unlike all bar 10% of her comics work, but still as Goth(ic).

Moran apparently did write a book when she was 16 although - if wikipedia's anything to go by - it looks like it wasn't fictional.

Moran apparently did write a book when she was 16 although - if wikipedia's anything to go by - it looks like it wasn't fictional.

I did mean Caitlin Moran not Poppy Z Brite's stunt double*: if the couple of people I know who've read her book (a fictionalised family history) are to be believed, it isn't terribly good. I never bothered with it myself as I couldn't suffer her as a journalist.

*(Who has written a number of novels, rather than just the one.)

Oh boy did I say that, I totally said that, I distinctly remember saying that...

8-)

Yeah man you totally did, I'm going to like quote you and stuff.

One Poppy Z. Brite is more than enough, thank you very much. I didn't even ask for that one and wish I could refund it for something better.

What were those good Caitlin R. Kiernan comics you mentioned, Adrian?

"Good comics" and Caitlin R. Kiernan doesn't compute.

One Poppy Z. Brite is more than enough, thank you very much. I didn't even ask for that one and wish I could refund it for something better.

What were those good Caitlin R. Kiernan comics you mentioned, Adrian?

"Good comics" and Caitlin R. Kiernan doesn't compute.

Several issues of the Dreaming were pretty good*, "Dream Below" in particular was rather nifty.

*(a lot more weren't, mind)

X-Men #200-Well, it wasn't much of an anniversary issue. It's part 1 of a new story-arc and not a great deal happened.

I am starting to get into Mike Carey's run on X-Men. It started off very underwhelming and bit iffy, but it's improved with each story, in my opinion.

So, the set-up of this strange new team was all just to bring everything crashing down around the X-Men's head.