Mick

Daredevil

If Matts chilling in the oven, it means that thankfully he's going to skip out on the whole Civil War thingy.(Even though he's a great example of it).

Like he's got a parents letter excusing him.

I'm surprised they don't break him out of the joint, just so that they can give him fancy new silver armour or something....

Hes on the cover of civil war issue one. Im really looking forward to the civil war.

Nocenti's run was from #236-291.

But there were some fill-in issues by other writers during that period.

If the rumours about her dealing with schizophrenia during that time are true, it would explain why she needed to take a month off here and there.

Most of them are cheap. A few of the Typhoid Mary issues are a little pricey, but those issues are Traded if you want to do the Trade thing with those few issues.

Also, D.D. will NOT be one of the titles that are part of the Civil War cross-over!

yay!

Is the rest of Nocenti's run traded? I love, love, love Miller's Daredevil - Born Again is possibly my favourite superhero comic, ever - and I'd be interested in reading the Nocenti stuff, but don't have particularly good access to back issues here in Norway.

Failing that, could I read the Typhoid Mary trade in isolation without losing out on too much?

Is the rest of Nocenti's run traded? I love, love, love Miller's Daredevil - Born Again is possibly my favourite superhero comic, ever - and I'd be interested in reading the Nocenti stuff, but don't have particularly good access to back issues here in Norway.

Failing that, could I read the Typhoid Mary trade in isolation without losing out on too much?

A pointless and needless seconding of love regarding Born Again of which I recently found the individual issues at nigh mint condition for one pound each.

Yes!

I even asked the counter jockey if there had been some mistake.

Best 6 pounds i've ever spent, and I've been to the sex districts in Thailand.

Can I now move to have that officially strucken off of the record please?

No declaration of love for Daredevil: Born Again is ever pointless.

Has Nuke turned up again besides his brief appearance in Morrison's X-Men?

Daniel Way is about to waste him no doubt in Wolverine Origins.

Logically he should have popped up in the Punisher or again in Captain America somewhere.

He was homaged well in Stormwatch Team Achilles as Citizen Soldier.

If Bucky...um...wants to play with the boy's now, lets have him take on Frank Castle.

You heard me Mr Way.

There's only one Trade of Nocenti's D.D. I'm pretty sure you can read it by itself.

Nuke was used somewhere else....but I forget where....

Born Again is, indeed, amazing!

I liked Matt's Elektra bandana homaging Frank's Man Without Fear Mini, aswell as the subtle change to the Daily Bugle from the office to the copy that Mr Castle (With all due respect ofcourse) reads.

The scarlet davil ate my baby! and took my mothers soul.

I have been rereading Bendis' run.

I've just finished #50, an cannot fault the run so far at all.

Ineterstingly, Daredvil's lie detector senses are wrong in The White Tiger Case.

Bendis dont seem to make a big stink about it at all.

Does anyone know if this has happened before in Daredevil history?

Obviously if he's just made a mistake, he could have done the same at any point in his past with out knowing it.

Might be cool to retcon some of his past cases, and go oh look you were actually wrong about that etc.

There's life in that idea, know matter how cannabalistic.

In light of Brubaker's run, Bendis' What if Karen Page had lived? single, is very interesting.

Thing's like if Matt was convicted, both him and Foggy would be disbarred.

Earliar in Bendis' run, Foggy is convincing Matt to quit being Daredevil, he asks what it would take for this to happen.

Even asking hypothetically if his very own death would be enough for Matt to throw in the towel (Bad Jack Murdock Pun).

I smell a What if Foggy Nelson had lived? coming.

Yeah it's the King of Hell's Kitchen (just post Mack) that goes a little south for me.

It reads fantastically, Matt's joke about thinking that his costume was still Yellow was cracking.

Foggy's barbwire arm tatoo too!

But Bendis cannot achieve the very ideas that he set out in it.

1). Matt becomes the Kingpin.

Swell idea if not a bit of a neatly contrived inversion.

Still this is where my, if you're going to do something that big then DO IT rant kicks in.

Five issues, using the OYL technique, is still abit of a cop out.

I don't want exposition, I want exploration.

How did Kingpin used to run the Kitchen, the day to day details.

How very differant is Matt's approach, or is it?

Fetishistic things like Matt meeting the Mayor, and dealing with him as the Kingpin.

2).Matt finally puts back on the Daredevil costume.

What he's been out of it for 5 issues, sorry OYL. (I'm well aware of the practically Daredevil-less five issues before).

Matt out of his costume is amazing.

This is also why Brubaker is working for me.

Matt (not Daredevil) vs the Yakuza was just fucking iconic to me.

It's far more emotively powerful that way.

And simply as the K's might say badass!!!

Daredevil as a costume and as a mask is still something of an excuse.

Matt is all zen and calm, because at night he can run around and seriously fuck criminals up, that would even have Batman cowering.

Matt spending a year without his Daredevil catharting, would seriously affect the character of Matt as we know it.

They would start to blend alarmingly.

Frank Miller summated that, in Marvel U physics, everything that had happened to Matt in his earliar years should have made him a Villian.

Well it finally happened, of sorts.

3).The Marvel Superhero Response.

Bendis did great dialogue between Matt, Reed, Stephen, Peter and Luke.

It was fantastic, but the whole premise practically remained unscathed.

Can your House of M and Civil War, if you ever needed your Marvel Crossover, there it was.

One Superhero declares himself Crime Lord (even assuming the very mantle of his arch enemy) of a central New York area.

What would the other heroes do?

The Marvel U vs Daredevil, sorry The Kingpin.

I mean the fucking Punisher would come calling for Kingpin Matt.

The Punisher, is an excellant charcter in the Marvel U.

His very existence, is a Superhero measuring stick.

How far is too far, well Marvel has the perfect example.

The Punisher is the mirror, that Marvel Superheroes have to look in to.

Bendis showed that he could bite off something major, the fastidous technical and emotional details of a public outing of a Superhero, and chew it.

But making Daredevil the Kingpin was out of his, possibly the title's and Marvel's remit.

The 5 issue OYL was a cop out (great storytelling mind).

I'd say 12 issues might have been enough to explore his new role, aswell as to detail extensively Matt's mental degeneration.

Hell someone could have based their entire run on that premise alone.

(PS-did I mention that the actual writing and dialogue was ace?)

The Punisher, is an excellant charcter in the Marvel U.

His very existence, is a Superhero measuring stick.

How far is too far, well Marvel has the perfect example.

The Punisher is the mirror, that Marvel Superheroes have to look in.

You sir, have spake the fucking truth. I always have thought along these lines, but I couldn't have put it better than you did.

In Daredevil#65, Bendis, has The Punisher take on Daredevil.

Furthermore it places Frank at the ending of Daredevil #50 aswell.

But I dont think their meeting was handled well at all.

I loved Bendis' Daredevil (it was probably my favourite superhero book at the time) until issue #50.

Then I just thought the series got pointless, until Bendis' final story-arc, which really picked up the pace.

If Bendis had left D.D. after #50, he would've had a perfect 10!

Bendis was good up until King of hellskicthen. Right about that point, the series was dull and lifeless then his last arc picked up pace.

No i grew to the pont of falling asleep through bendis' run.

Ineterstingly, Daredvil's lie detector senses are wrong in The White Tiger Case.

It has happened where DD has been fooled by someone with a pacemaker. (Don't know the story from your title so maybe the same one)

The guy's heartbeat was regulated by the pacemaker and so didn't give the telltale skip he would normally recognise when someone lies. Can't remember the issue so will get back to you on that.

It has happened where DD has been fooled by someone with a pacemaker. (Don't know the story from your title so maybe the same one)

The guy's heartbeat was regulated by the pacemaker and so didn't give the telltale skip he would normally recognise when someone lies. Can't remember the issue so will get back to you on that.

It's not from the same story no, but I would still like to know from which issue that one of yours was.

Do you possibly remember which writer?

No i grew to the pont of falling asleep through bendis' run.

That's a bit extreme Mick.

I've reread the run now, and the only real lag is in Decalogue, which is still bloody fantastic.

Personally, Bendis did not write too many issues of Daredevil either.

It may feel that way when you pick it up monthly (Which is failure in itself sure), but it all works tremendously as a run reread.

I was never bored, and definitely not to the point of sleep.

Even those bits that are percieved as a slump (surely only in comparison to his earliar issues?), are there to set up The Murdock Papers.

It has to look like he's actually going to weather the Media Shitstorm, that things are calming down.

That the rollercoaster ride is over.

That is what really puts the sting in The Murdock Papers.

My only real criticism of Bendis run was his failing to fully explore Matt's Kingpin status (God knows I have already blathered on that one), and even then, Bendis had the excuse that it was mostly because of Matt's breakdown.

I dont understand this perception of Bendis' problematic pacing (especially on DD an the preposed Batman/Daredevil crossover with Jeph Loeb).

It was all very meticulous, fully explored emotionally.

The Devil is is in the details :icon_rolleyes: , and they achieved a realism both literally and emotionally.

You outlined what the problem was....

The big plot point coming out of issue #50 was that Matt was now the Kingpin of Hell's Kitchen!

Then he fights ninjas, then Bendis decides that Matt had a nervous breakdown, then the Golden Age Kingpin returns, then Matt fights a demon.

He just didn't have any idea what to do with what should have been the focus of the series from that point. He just meandered around the edges, trying to avoid having to work with the fact that Matt was now the Kingpin.

The run stopped feeling cohesive after issue #50 (it actually became boring) and never picked up on the relevant plots again until his final story-arc.

"The guy's heartbeat was regulated by the pacemaker and so didn't give the telltale skip he would normally recognise when someone lies. Can't remember the issue so will get back to you on that."

I think this happened more than once actually.

Wasn't the last time it happened in D.D. vol. 2, the story-arc with the Jester (early 20 issues, I think)?

Matt usually has trouble with guys who are some sort of Super Soilder Serium or something, due to it messing with their heart rate. So like if he tried to get the truth out of a guy like "Nuke". It would be rather hard, considering how he is also out of his mind.

I think he probably got the wrong answer from the guy, because he was on the phone, and that most likelly made it a bit harder for him to tell whats going on, then if he was there in person.

Bendis's first few arcs were great. But then he got out of hand.

Liek Christian said, he had him snao and become the Kingpin, but didnt really follow up on that.

[ Spoiler :

He basically had him become the Kingpin, then had the Yakuza attack to try and take over Hells Kitchen, then he had some old Kingpin from the 1920's return, along with Melvin Potter becoming the Gladiator again. And basically after that, he didnt explain anything else. He just had Matt grow a goat tee, and become DD again, then had some AA group talk about how Daredevil effected their lives, and basically some guy who was possessed by a demon baby go from host to host. Then he finally got somewhere with The Murdock Papers.

]

Right now Brubaker is doing a helluva a job on the title.