Mick

Daredevil

Again even if Bendis' run slowed down to a crawl, it only sets up The Murdock Papers better.

Things are calming down for Matt, including his general life and superhero shennanigans, and then bam!

The Murdock Papers.

(I dont say bam alot honest)

No i grew to the pont of falling asleep through bendis' run.

That's a bit extreme Mick.

I've reread the run now, and the only real lag is in Decalogue, which is still bloody fantastic.

Personally, Bendis did not write too many issues of Daredevil either.

It may feel that way when you pick it up monthly (Which is failure in itself sure), but it all works tremendously as a run reread.

I was never bored, and definitely not to the point of sleep.

Even those bits that are percieved as a slump (surely only in comparison to his earliar issues?), are there to set up The Murdock Papers.

It has to look like he's actually going to weather the Media Shitstorm, that things are calming down.

That the rollercoaster ride is over.

That is what really puts the sting in The Murdock Papers.

My only real criticism of Bendis run was his failing to fully explore Matt's Kingpin status (God knows I have already blathered on that one), and even then, Bendis had the excuse that it was mostly because of Matt's breakdown.

I dont understand this perception of Bendis' problematic pacing (especially on DD an the preposed Batman/Daredevil crossover with Jeph Loeb).

It was all very meticulous, fully explored emotionally.

The Devil is is in the details :icon_rolleyes: , and they achieved a realism both literally and emotionally.

Yeah a bit harsh but im making refrence to the fact that it did not do justice to bendis (who can do fantastic work) or DD but i love the new team.

The pacemaker thing also happened in the directors cut of the film, i loved the film and the directors cut even more, it added more depth to it.

HUH?!

It didn't do justice to Bendis or Daredevil?!

Besides Frank Miller's work on D.D., Bendis' run will surely go down as the second most definitive work on the title. Nocenti and Brubaker (so far, it's still early) are the only other writers on D.D. who were even worth reading.

The character has always been in sore need to writers who have a vision for the character, and Bendis certainly filled that role.

As far as Bendis, I've only read his Marvel work, but outside of "Alias", Bendis' only readable work at Marvel has been his work on Daredevil.

If it wasn't for D.D., Bendis would be most remembered as that guy who gave it a go on a mature readers' Marvel book that didn't really sell and then packed it in and said I'll write for the fans who loves muscular guys in capes punching evil villains.

Because I think, like me, most comic readers had not heard of Bendis before he came to Marvel. Daredevil is the book that made Bendis one of the hottest comic writers today.

I can understand you growing tired of Bendis' work on D.D., but I don't see how anyone can downplay the importance of Bendis' early work on D.D. for both the character and for his name value!

Oh dear looks like Matt is out of the Block already in #87.

I keep seeing him in Civil War pictures too.

Furthermore, he appears in Cable/Deadpool #30.

Deadpool vs Daredevil (but which one?)

No it wasn't. He'd been in the comics business for nearly 10 years before starting on Daredevil. Some of his earliest work isn't available at the moment, but even if you ignore the obscurities, there's Goldfish, Torso, Jinx, Powers...

It wasn't even his first Marvel comic, in fact - he'd been on Ultimate Spider-Man for a while before he took over Daredevil.

(After thinking about it for a few minutes)

Umm...unless you mean that the first comic Bendis read was Daredevil, in which case, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Nice, phony edited picture.

But I was just going by what I read in the introduction the DD trades. It's been a month or so, So I was most likelly wrong.

The next time you post something like that. I'll gut you like a fish and strangle you with your intestines.

I think thats what he meant. Like I said, it was like a month or so ago, sense I last read the trades. So my memory may be a bit rusty. I just remember him saying that he got contacted by David mach who asked if he wanted to be write Daredevil or not.

The only parts I edited were your names at the top. I actually got the picture from the Gay or Lesbian Comic Book Character thread. Sorry.

HUH?!

It didn't do justice to Bendis or Daredevil?!

Besides Frank Miller's work on D.D., Bendis' run will surely go down as the second most definitive work on the title. Nocenti and Brubaker (so far, it's still early) are the only other writers on D.D. who were even worth reading.

The character has always been in sore need to writers who have a vision for the character, and Bendis certainly filled that role.

As far as Bendis, I've only read his Marvel work, but outside of "Alias", Bendis' only readable work at Marvel has been his work on Daredevil.

If it wasn't for D.D., Bendis would be most remembered as that guy who gave it a go on a mature readers' Marvel book that didn't really sell and then packed it in and said I'll write for the fans who loves muscular guys in capes punching evil villains.

Because I think, like me, most comic readers had not heard of Bendis before he came to Marvel. Daredevil is the book that made Bendis one of the hottest comic writers today.

I can understand you growing tired of Bendis' work on D.D., but I don't see how anyone can downplay the importance of Bendis' early work on D.D. for both the character and for his name value!

Oh no god no his early work was on D.D genius but i grew tired actually just as it reached the murdok papers, though i'll be honest part of it was down to the art, i know people loved it but it just wasn't my cup of rea.

Also i think bendis will also go down as one of the fathers of the ultimate universe (obviously its a whores baby) but i do wish hed piss of ultimate spider-man and give a new team a chance, i think more amazing stuff could be done with an early spider-man and bendis (Although has done well on the title) is now holding it back.

But in case i sound like im bashing him rest assured i love BMB.

You're right that he'll probably be just as, if not more known, as one of the founding fathers of the Ultimate Universe (if it survives).

Are you sure Bendis was working on Ultimate Spider Man before Daredevil though, Mark? I was pretty sure D.D. was Bendis' first work at Marvel, which was what I assumed Wolvy was talking about.

Nope - USM started in 2000, and Bendis didn't get the Daredevil gig until 2001.

That four issue Daredevil stint Bendis did with David Mack, isn't the point of confusion here is it?

There was about a five month gap between that and his main run (#26 onwards).

Plus he did Daredevil Ninja at some point.

That may have predated his main run too, as it was well...bad!

Mick, you didn't feel that Alex Maleev got better throughout the run?

I was comparing his Golden Age covers and interior art to #26, and the progression was staggering!

"That four issue Daredevil stint Bendis did with David Mack, isn't the point of confusion here is it?"

Ah, I think that was what I was thinking about Test.

I don't know when DD:Ninja occured, but I know it was awful and I wish I could forget it totally!

I really liked Alex Maleev's art. I thought it was perfect for the tone of the book, but I like the art with Brubaker too.

That four issue Daredevil stint Bendis did with David Mack, isn't the point of confusion here is it?

I was comparing his Golden Age covers and interior art to #26, and the progression was staggering!

Well, even if Bendis had been on Daredevil from #1, that title's still only up to #84, while Ultimate Spider-Man is up to #93 now (I think). Even allowing for the occasional delayed issue, the maths is pretty simple...

Well, even if Bendis had been on Daredevil from #1, that title's still only up to #84, while Ultimate Spider-Man is up to #93 now (I think). Even allowing for the occasional delayed issue, the maths is pretty simple...

Ouch...

I was under the impression that Mark Miller had started the USM run though?

Nope - it's been Bendis/Bagley every issue.

Except there was a 6-month period where D.D. did not come out. I forget if it was during Kevin Smith's run or Bendis' run (I'm leaning towards Bendis), but for 6 months straight, there were no issues of D.D. to hit the stands.

So, that puts D.D. at least 6 months behind schedule.

Daredevil volumn 2 started in 1998 according to my copy of D.D. vol. 2, #1. That was 8 years ago now. 12 issues a year time 8 years equals 96, so D.D. obviously missed more than 6 months of publication.

Bendis' first issue was #16, although as Test pointed out, he didn't become full-time writer until #26.

#16 should have come out in late-1999.

So, now we need to discover if D.D. was delayed for 6 months during Smith's or Bendis' run to figure out exactly when Bendis wrote his very first issue of D.D. (#16). I only own the early-Bendis issues in Trades, because the back-issues were too expensive to buy, so I'm not sure the cover date for D.D. #16.

AND, I still think that DD: Ninja predates #16 too.

I've just lent out #16 ofcourse!

We both know that the delay was more likely to occur during Smith's tenure.

I know that during David Mack's first Echo run, there was a filler issue by the Editor I believe.

I doubt that there was any signifigant delay in Bendis' four issue bit.

Possibly rereading Bendis' goodbye in #81, may shed some light.

I think that this is where Wolvy got the thought from too.

Thanks for that clarification, Christian - I didn't know about that.

I've just checked at Wikipedia - USM definitely began in 2000, while Bendis' first Daredevil arc (with Mack) was in 2001. Then came the "Playing To The Camera" arc, by Bob Gale and Phil Winslade, before Bendis took over full-time with issue #26, in December 2001.

Shite! Kevin Smith's run was even more delayed than I thought!

Damn Kevin Smith, writing his two comic books a year!

Yes, Test, there was a fill-in issue by Quesada sometime around the David Mack Echo story-line.