Mick

Daredevil

Really let down by that last issue.

Spoiley ahead.

1. Crap reveal to the fake Daredevil, and that it was resolved so soon. The fight sequence appeared to be metaphorless too.

It's no Born Again.

2. Matt's already out of prison! One of the best Daredevil ideas is given a whole five issues!

Bendis' run was about Matt being outed, but he made sure that his whole run was about Matt being outed, exploring virtually every facet indepth.

3. Even with Marvel cynisim and all those comic book formulae , I still thought Brubaker might actually and deliberately buck tradition and really kill Foggy.

This way he could expediantly elevate his run over Bendis.

And as Mark said, even if they did bring him back, it was really so soon.

I'll still pick it up, as the writing and art are nevertheless good, and I'm vaguely intersted.

But up until this issue, I thought I was reading a classic.

I agree with all this Test.

But, the last two page reveal I felt was still keeping the story interesting, even if it was a complete turnaround on what he was accomplishing at the beginning of his story.

I was actually surprised at the reveal also, because people on here have stated that Brubaker immediately killed of Red Skull as soon as he started writing Captain America. So, I thought Brubaker was really going outside the Marvel norm, by making those big plot decisions that Marvel has tried to avoid or pave over in the past.

Except, I agree with Dave's points about Bendis' DD.

Carry on! :lol:

Brubaker immediately killed of Red Skull as soon as he started writing Captain America. So, I thought Brubaker was really going outside the Marvel norm, by making those big plot decisions that Marvel has tried to avoid or pave over in the past.

He did, but that hasn't stuck either. So, if he kills anyone off towards the start of his first X-Men arc...be suspicious.

i think very highly of brubaker so i hate to harp on him but....

the civil war crossover has frank castle turning himself into the authorities and landing in jail.the end of bendis's run had matt murdock going to prison,and of course marvel in general always has people like kingpin and bullseye going in and out of prison,what did brubaker really do with this first story?

maybe it's that i loved bendis/maleev on this title so much but this book is damn near falling off my must read list.

and i think it's rather odd that matt murdock reacts to bullseye when first interacting with him with little more than a raised eyebrow,it's like even though he is in jail,disgraced as a hero and may soon be disbarred and his life(according to foggy,his wife,urich,etc.)is on the verge of a full and complete breakdown,if it's not in the middle of one already.yet the man who murdered karen page so brutally is an annoyance to him and he never beats the shit out of him just to blow off steam.

it's not bad at all,but it could have been written as good or better by most any fan who had read the previous two and a half to three years.

...and no trade for three months.

The one thing Marvel did very well, under the current regime, was get trade collections out there right after a story-arc finished. Now they're pushing these trade releases back further and further, worse in some cases is the practice of releasing a hard-cover collection first!

Fortunately, the internet has the whole lot to download right now so, y'know, funky.

i think very highly of brubaker so i hate to harp on him but....

the civil war crossover has frank castle turning himself into the authorities and landing in jail.the end of bendis's run had matt murdock going to prison,and of course marvel in general always has people like kingpin and bullseye going in and out of prison,what did brubaker really do with this first story?

maybe it's that i loved bendis/maleev on this title so much but this book is damn near falling off my must read list.

and i think it's rather odd that matt murdock reacts to bullseye when first interacting with him with little more than a raised eyebrow,it's like even though he is in jail,disgraced as a hero and may soon be disbarred and his life(according to foggy,his wife,urich,etc.)is on the verge of a full and complete breakdown,if it's not in the middle of one already.yet the man who murdered karen page so brutally is an annoyance to him and he never beats the shit out of him just to blow off steam.

it's not bad at all,but it could have been written as good or better by most any fan who had read the previous two and a half to three years.

Thats why it needed more issues to really plumb the depths there, so that Matt wouldn't really bat an eyelid at working with Bullseye and Kingpin.

The last issue shat on all of those promises though.

Here's hoping that Brubaker still has some cracking ideas (that he's going to stick with) for the rest of his DD tenure.

good point rohne,a year long stint inside prison would have been better and much more realistic and had brubaker better able to flesh lots of stuff out.shame really there were alot of really good ideas there.

apologies if i'm wrong but i believe it was wolvy who said something akin to-one of the best ideas for daredevil in years and it's over already.

i believe it was wolvy who said something akin to-one of the best ideas for daredevil in years and it's over already.

True, I suppose it's a long term thing.

You could look back 5 or 10 years later and go yes I remember when DD was outed and finally sent to prison.

It formed a signifigant part of DD history.

Do you think Civil War had interfered in the title's natural flow, or that Bruebaker just got bored with the idea...?

Do you think Civil War had interfered in the title's natural flow, or that Bruebaker just got bored with the idea...?

Daredevil would have served the point of Civil War so much better by just being in Prison.

Both the outed Daredevil and the Punisher are perfect examples of Marvels Civil War.

Having them both in prison works better than anything they could do during the Civil War.

He's in jail because he's suspected of being a Superhero, that's exactly what Civil War is about!

You could really enhance the impact of both Civil War and Daredevil, by showing how mentally fargone Matt has become that the massive Marvel Civil War events outside mean nothing to him inside.

Imagine a disguised Nick Fury of Cap offering to break Matt out if he joins the resistance etc.

He'd decline because all he cares about his finding Foggy's killers.

Matt witnessing Spidey's unmasking on a wire meshed prison TV would have been far too many shades of delicious irony.

You could have documented the viewpoints of many Spidey villians imprisoned in Rykers, now that they know who Spiderman really is.

Matt would also serve as a terrible portent to what might be instore for Spider-Man

If they really wanted a Daredevil, they could have used his mysterious stand in (Hawkeye damnit!).

This would only have fed right back into the monthly Daredevil, enhancing it.

Outside amongst all the Superhero shenanigans, Matt is just another bad costume.

Inside he's a martyr of sorts.

Daredevil could have been the flagship title of Civil War, just by having him rot in jail for a year.

But no, they put ol Speedballs in jail instead.

The next arc deals with "Daredevil" going to europe or our of the country on a search for the guy who had foggy stabbed. The reason I say "Daredevil" is because we wont know if it's Iron Fist/DD or Matt Murdock/Daredevil.

I tink it's definately Matt going to Europe - why would Iron Fist give a flying frig about Foggy Nelson? Besides, he's most likely "playing" DD with the Cap, Falcon, Luke Cage and the others.

Yeah, I was wondering about that.

Iron Fist must be a part of the new Heroes for Hire, right?

Actually he's not. :lol: The new Heroes for Hire is made up of. Black Cat. Shang Chi. Paladin and two other people I do not know.

Ah. Marvel sticks characters they don't know what to do with, who have absolutely no chance of selling a comic onto a team with a historical name. Launch the book as part of a company wide cross-over.

No one buys the book after Civil War ends. It's cancelled within a year.

Marketing the Marvel way.

everything rohne just said in that big post a few ago is so fucking accurate.

he clearly even in the plotting stage has a much more accurate and realistic approach to the overall arc that was previously attempted here.i would read youre dd dude.plus using hawkeye as dd outside of the prison during civil war would both bring back hawkeye and also since he is a marksman i'm assuming he could throw around the billy club real smart and then even say look i'm not blind in some type of public demonstration,in costume of course and help matt murdock back into the superhero closet so to speak.

although this is coming from someone who quite enjoyed the time i went to prison with richard corben and brian azzarello.

also if marvel cut so much as one issue from his initial request as to the arcs length then that is fucking unfair to mr. brubaker.

everything rohne just said in that big post a few ago is so fucking accurate.

he clearly even in the plotting stage has a much more accurate and realistic approach to the overall arc that was previously attempted here.i would read youre dd dude.

Ask Marvel.

Although, wherever I go Mick-"Spellcheck"-er-what-his-surname? comes with.

you know what i think might be an interesting idea for a co plotter strategy.lets use the mick and the rohne as examples.(because after i win the lottery and bribe back travis charest,i'm still gonna have money so i'll buy dd and let you two go nuts).

rohne is the main writer on the book and his initial arc is drawn by and the issues number whatever he needs.then mick reads his first storyline(while still in script form)and begins to co-plot the second arc with rohne except mick mainly decides what roles kingpin,bullseye and the antagonist(s)would play.the plotting would be then arainged by the two very carefully.ploting of confrontation scenes will be headed by mick and during said confrontation he alone handles all the dialogue.

after rohne finishes his tenure on the book mick has a brief stint by himself for a year or less,then he assists the new writer by co-plotting or maybe even co-writing that persons first arc.

i think this would help alot with a books transition period so to speak.

Apparently, if I'm reading the editorials correct Bendis and Brubaker had quite a bit of conferencing about the transition between their two arcs.

Brubaker talked about Bendis purposely trying to make the plot as complicated as possible for him when Bendis left D.D.

So, I'm guessing the two were in contact.

Besides, editors don't do anything for their pay now. Isn't it supposed to be the editors job to help the incoming writer in the way you describe?

While it's not the same thing as you're describing, I'm reminded me of something like when Mark Millar took over the writing chores on Swamp Thing. Grant Morrison worked with him on the first story-arc, and then let Millar take over full-time.

But surely that was more the case of Grant Morrison commercially setting up both Mark Millar and there rest of the run.

My point being, that there was never really a hand over of sorts.

Hmmmmmm.

Parts of this were dead good - really, you can't go too far wrong with DD/Kingpin/Bullseye fucking up a whole prison full of scum. Having Matt hand The Punisher a shotgun though and not giving us an issue of the pair running riot ? War-fucking-crime!

All that said, at the end of the story, the reasoning behind DD's returned secret ID is well dodgy. I've no interest in who's behind it all, so this'll do me for the man in red, I reckon.

Since Wolverine ran around Belgrade some months ago, in that Winter Soldier crap, i hope they get DD to come visit, on his European tour that's coming up next.

yeah it felt like a whole lot of chunks of set up and aftermath,but i never actually felt like there was a chance anyone was getting hurt(not after that first attack on him when the guard brought dd down the wrong hall).i never felt like i was in prison with them.