Mick

Daredevil

Hmmmmmm.

Parts of this were dead good - really, you can't go too far wrong with DD/Kingpin/Bullseye fucking up a whole prison full of scum. Having Matt hand The Punisher a shotgun though and not giving us an issue of the pair running riot ? War-fucking-crime!

All that said, at the end of the story, the reasoning behind DD's returned secret ID is well dodgy. I've no interest in who's behind it all, so this'll do me for the man in red, I reckon.

Exactly, Even the Daredevil-back-to-back-with-the-Kingpin battlke, where DD declares it the greatest or meanest fight he's ever been in, was given a whole page!

yeah it felt like a whole lot of chunks of set up and aftermath,but i never actually felt like there was a chance anyone was getting hurt(not after that first attack on him when the guard brought dd down the wrong hall).i never felt like i was in prison with them.

You wanted shower scenes then.

Blind men drop the soap more often.

ha ha ha ha ha.(looks around nervously upon realizing they now know he wants a soapy wilson fisk just once to show up.)

Ofcourse theres the potential Bullseye joke i'll skip.

Hmmmmmm.

Parts of this were dead good - really, you can't go too far wrong with DD/Kingpin/Bullseye fucking up a whole prison full of scum. Having Matt hand The Punisher a shotgun though and not giving us an issue of the pair running riot ? War-fucking-crime!

Amen! I love the arc, it made me tingly, but I second this motion.

the fact that he killed,then didn't kill foggy is stupid.

however this issue shows how murdock and his friends might have in real life been spared a bit with him(meaning fogy) going into hiding(despite matt going ape in rykers)and playing dead.

i saw aja on the cover and i did that shoulder deflating two inch drop that acompanies my eyes seeing a fill in artist on one of my three monthlies.but this guy is awesome,better than lark maybe and lark kicks ass.

and it was hokey as hell but foggy climbing down the house and escaping was the title of the story put perfectly into a few panels.

okay brubaker,i can't quit you.

the fact that he killed,then didn't kill foggy is stupid.

Why?

The only problem I have with it (and it's a conditional one - depending on where the story goes over the next few months, it might not be a problem at all) is that revealing the fake-out so soon seems like a bit of a waste. The actual reveal itself, though, while somewhat predictable (the fact that the death took place off-panel, between issues? Suspicious. The way Brubaker went out of his way to make sure no character within the comic actually witnessed it directly? Even more suspicious. The conversation at the funeral, mentioning that Foggy seemed stable in the ambulance, only to mysteriously "die" after all? Near-conclusively suspicious) was quite an effective way to end the first arc, and sets up for some interesting stories down the line.

I felt from the beginning that actually killing Foggy would be/was a mistake on Brubaker's part, mind.

dunno to be honest mark,this latest issue has me looking forward to where this goes(like you say depending on where the story goes...)but my last few posts about devil in cell block d were rather negative,as i think it was rushed and forced into a crossover that is now delayed anyway.

i guess i thought "killing" him off was simply part of a luke warm storyline and this one shot issue was pretty good to me(certainly better than anything since mr.brubakers first few pages of part one of his run)and bringing people back after you tell the audience there dead is always bs to me,but like you say brubaker really plotted the shit out of every reveal.a re read is deffinately in order.

also as heartless as this sounds-foggy's death was powerfull and realistic,exactly the type of thing fisk or the fbi or whoever would know to do to get to matt.it sucks but it made sense.and this is coming from a guy who cried at a comic death before(lay off i was 15,haha)i guess i'll take a few more issues plus his run up until and read them in one big session,see how it feels then.

by the way what did you think of this aja guy,pretty sweet huh?thumbs up or down?

Aja reminded me of Alex Maleev, which is a good thing. Aja's faces were a bit too drawn, made it hard to recognize Ben Urich.

But overall, Aja is a good fit for neo-noir DD tales.

My pal Suicide King left his new copy of DD at the house. Got home from work and it is laying there!

Also left Ghost Rider, the new Ultimates, and Walking Dead. I am so gonna smoke a bowl and hide away from everyone. Geek out!

thats my favorite way to geek out! turn on some ambient internet radio, smoke a bowl and read some new comix! im sooo behind on walking dead. im gonna have to pester SK to bring the new issues to work. the new DD was awesome! i know it was only a month but i missed Mr Lark on art duties. huzzah!

I read the new DD first. Good decision. There seems to be a few things that comic most comic book writers have carried over from the Golden Age that simply don't make sense, like secret identities and sidekicks, and I've often thought that having a 'home city' for some of these guys is ridiculous. Superman could be doing what he does for Metropolis for the whole world, for instance. Having Matt Murdock be a Hell's Kitchen guy because his office is there is one thing, having all his adventures there month after month is another.

When I read Sleeper I loved how there was no one single locale that everything centred around. Tao was everywhere, his influence was everywhere.

Likewise I love what Brubaker is doing with Matt. When I saw the Matador was going to be the villain, I groanded and rolled my eyes. But instead we get this great Bourne Identity version of Murdock with great refernces to his sensory powers and law skills as he gambles/listens at the party/flees the country and so on. Totally in control and he knows what he is doing.

Also, what great inner dialogue... his review of why he is going after Foggy's 'killer' was dead on.

I knew the opening sequence was a *SPOILER*

dream before I even read one word. Still liked it though, always fun to see old flames manifest themselves in your conciousness.

The only thing that seemed odd at all to me was the DD costume. He could have just wrapped a ninja cowl around his head or some such. Changing into costume would bring unwanted attention to you and would create a gazzilion witnesses that saw DD and Matt in another country at the same time. Way to lay low, way to hide your identity, way to fetishize long johns.

Spider J, I don't know who has your Filth if it isn't Zack. I'll ask around, I'm trying to track down hald a dozen trades I've loaned out.

Hell's Kitchen is an actual place in our world.

I think it makes sense that DD sticks to Hell's Kitchen, just like Batman sticks to Gotham.

I agree with a lot of characters, it's stupid that they stay in their "home city", but Batman and DD are gritty heroes who work best at street level, trying to clean up THEIR city.

Leaving their home city every so often and getting involved in other business is fine, as long as they return to their home city. DD is a more believable type character in the superhero set.

DD is a blind guy with heightened senses and learned superhuman ability. He's not a character like Superman who can just shoot across the world and stop a group of terrorists on a whim. DD works best with urban crime and noir stories.

In fact, from your point, it makes more sense, from a realism perspective, that a superhero is just a vigilante working to clean up his city, instead of the notion being a felled trapping of the Silver Age.

Hell's Kitchen is an actual place in our world.

I think it makes sense that DD sticks to Hell's Kitchen, just like Batman sticks to Gotham.

I agree with a lot of characters, it's stupid that they stay in their "home city", but Batman and DD are gritty heroes who work best at street level, trying to clean up THEIR city.

Leaving their home city every so often and getting involved in other business is fine, as long as they return to their home city. DD is a more believable type character in the superhero set.

DD is a blind guy with heightened senses and learned superhuman ability. He's not a character like Superman who can just shoot across the world and stop a group of terrorists on a whim. DD works best with urban crime and noir stories.

In fact, from your point, it makes more sense, from a realism perspective, that a superhero is just a vigilante working to clean up his city, instead of the notion being a felled trapping of the Silver Age.

Thanks for pointing out that Hell's Kitchen is a real place :p

Thanks for the other input.

Needless to say, he wouldn't stop terrorists in Afghanistan. But, with material like the Bourne Identity to call upon, I don't think anyone world class like Matt would limit himself to one neighborhood. His current arc shows how well such a thing can be written. For that matter, Bats would be bettersuited to trying to clean up someplace beyond Gotham, as was illustated so well in DK2.

I had a big problem with him putting on the DD costume to do his shit there. If there is a DD running around still in NYC and a DD running around in Europe too it wouldn't take long for the FBI to put 2 and 2 together. The world is way to small a place with as many media outlets as we have, and that doesn't even take into account camcorders and cell phone cams. A cowl or other mask would have been fine.

I agree with Kingmob about it being short-sighted for heroes to stick to one neighbourhood or even city. A smart dude like DD (or Bats) could affect things greatly on a larger scale just by doing thier street level stuff.

Oh, and way to open a can of worms by mentioning DK2 KM. ;)

I'm pretty sure the people in Spain have no idea of whats going on in America.

Daredevil isnt an internationaly known hero. He's not Captain America or something. He's mainly just known in Hells Kitchen or the lower slums of manhatten.

I had a big problem with him putting on the DD costume to do his shit there. If there is a DD running around still in NYC and a DD running around in Europe too it wouldn't take long for the FBI to put 2 and 2 together. The world is way to small a place with as many media outlets as we have, and that doesn't even take into account camcorders and cell phone cams. A cowl or other mask would have been fine.

I agree with Kingmob about it being short-sighted for heroes to stick to one neighbourhood or even city. A smart dude like DD (or Bats) could affect things greatly on a larger scale just by doing thier street level stuff.

Oh, and way to open a can of worms by mentioning DK2 KM. ;)

Unlike gamefaqs, some of these guys appreciate DK2, SK.

Daredevil isnt an internationaly known hero. He's not Captain America or something. He's mainly just known in Hells Kitchen or the lower slums of manhatten.

I don't buy that. The paperazzi would be all over every cape they could. Also the trial of Murdock would garner news all over the place. It would have international relevance.

I don't buy that. The paperazzi would be all over every cape they could. Also the trial of Murdock would garner news all over the place. It would have international relevance.

Then you shouldnt be reading comics. Because they require something you lack.

Suspension of Disbelief

Then you shouldnt be reading comics. Because they require something you lack.

Suspension of Disbelief

That was unduly harsh.

Agreed, but when it comes to the acceptance of Daredevil putting his costume on to fight crime wherever he goes because...well, dude, he's Daredevil, I don't think he's entirely without a point.

Why would Europe give a shit about whats going on in America anyways. Specially with some blind lawyer from New York. They'v got their own problems, not to mention to failed to notice one key factor.

EVERYBODY WAS IN A FUCKING PANIC. I highly doubt anybody was going to stop and take pictures when they running for their lives.

"Oh let me take a picture, while I try not to get trampled to death."

Why would Europe give a shit about whats going on in America anyways. Specially with some blind lawyer from New York. They'v got their own problems, not to mention to failed to notice one key factor.

EVERYBODY WAS IN A FUCKING PANIC. I highly doubt anybody was going to stop and take pictures when they running for their lives.

OK so fuck the Spaniards, we'll say the public in Spain wouldn't know or care. But the CIA and the FBI and Interpol would be using this as evidence against Matt, and Matt would know they would do so and avoid such things. That's why Rand dressed up as DD in the first place. The establishment know he's somewhere in Europe, they see some red long-johns in Spain, and their heavily monitored enemies the mob come in contact with said red long johns, and baaam. Forget the public, these are the mafioso who also knew who he was because *spoliers*

They lured him into this in the first place, (and if they knew enough about him to want to lure him in, then he is getting press there), plus (despite your willing suspension of disbelief) Bendis and Brubaker have tried to get away from comic bullshit and move toward believeable stories. The suspension of disbelief comes into play on him having super powers, not on the world he lives in.

Doesn't everyone everywhere who is a fanboy look for this kind of stuff in their comics? And Mark, I disagree, I don't think Wolvy has a point in the first place, the unduly harsh angle aside. I see most media as getting more and more sophisticated in its treatment of their properties and these are great points. In closing, we sit in pubs drinking beer arguing such points in front of our girlfriends. Its part of my hobby.

I sure have seen a lot of eye witness video from the 9/11 tragedy and the LA riots and Hurricane Katrina, and the Running of the Bulls and.....

I sure have seen a lot of eye witness video from the 9/11 tradgedy and the LA riots and Hurricane Katrina, and the Running of the Bulls and.....

Suspension of Disbelief