A. Heathen

Carey on Constantine

http://dynamicforces.com/htmlfiles/interviews6.html

we're going to take John down to Hell, which is going to be a long arc starting with #209. I guess in many ways that brings me to the culmination of what I wanted to do on the book. All the stories I've written, from High on Life onwards, have tied together in a great chain of cause and effect. Some readers found that a bit much, but others seem to have enjoyed it a lot. When it's complete, it'll be possible to see it as one lone arc spanning nine hundred pages...

Crikey, is it that time already ?

Andy Diggle stands out as an obvious choice, he's made mention of possibly writing Hellblazer and it's something he's said he wants to do but that he's not ready quite yet - well Carey will be with us for over a year yet so Andy might be ready to go by then.

Based on the strength of his Cal McDonald work, I reckon Steve Niles would be an interesting choice but - and fair play to him on this - he's having huge success with his own properties and probably wouldn't be interested.

With his two long running serials slowly wrapping up, I hope Mike has a long-term creator owned gig in the pipeline - his Preacher or Transmet.

Barenaked Ladies Mike ? I thought I was the only bloke dumb enough to bring them up in civilised conversation! Some of their early stuff still makes it onto my playlist (Jane, Brian Wilson, Dirty Hank) but they've lost me with more recent efforts.

edit : David Gemmell! I eat his stuff right up - Legend is the greatest fantasy movie never made.

So will John sacrifice himself to keep his friends alive and then we'll have a long arc with Constantine in Hell trying to best Rosecarins and get everything back to normal in time for the next writer?

I don't know if I'll like having John in Hell for a long period of time but I trust Mike to do something interesting.

Wow! Yeah, it sounds like Carey is finishing out his run on H.B. now.

Wonder what's next.....

Sounds like some forum members may get their wish, John dies and continues his story living in Hell. Maybe.

John, I have to say that I absolutely loath Steve Niles' writing and plotting! I would not want to see Niles on Hellblazer, and I might end up dropping the book if he did come on board.

I'm thinking Andy Diggle will be next, which could be good or bad.

God damn it, he's not neccessarily going yet is he though? He might be halfway through his run in terms of issues (40 being the usual amount), but it still feels like he's only just arrived. That's probably more to do with the extended storylines than anything else, though.

I'd join in the discussion, but it makes me feel uncomfortably like a vulture circling some traveller lost in the desert.

Actually didn't Mike Carey mention he was going to have some sort of crossover with Lucifer at some point...

(I think it was one of his early interviews concerning Hellblazer)...

I don't read Lucifer, but is it possible that John's trip to Hell means that maybe some meeting with characters from Lucifer...

I didn't think Mike was talking literally when he said he was taking John to hell. #209 would be Mike's 34th issue so it wouldn't surprise me if he called it a day after the long story he alludes to starting therein.

Yeah, he says "a long arc" STARTING with #209 which means at LEAST until #215, I'd say.

Although it'll be sad to see Mike go from HB, I like the fact that his run will feel like a unified story.

And it's more than a year off, so I'm not overly worried. Only in 2 years time Mike will have stopped both HB AND Lucifer. THEN where will all my money go?

And it's more than a year off, so I'm not overly worried. Only in 2 years time Mike will have stopped both HB AND Lucifer. THEN where will all my money go?

I think you should start buying SUPERHERO stuff.... As far as I undestand, from the interview, Mike wants to work with this genre.... and in my opinion this is slight regressing..... and I hate when this happens..... why some writers (I can remember of Warren Ellis and Grant Morrison) do this?? Is it for money??

Danm :angry:

Warren Ellis has said, quite vocally, that he's only working with superheroes to raise his profile in North America and to make some cash.

Grant Morrison seems to have a lot of time for superheroes and given the quality of Animal Man, I don't really have a problem with that!

Mike's a great storyteller and I'm sure he has some brilliant superhero tales in him - I just hope he wants to work with more interesting characters than Ultimate Elektra (a personal bias there).

He's already written Daredevil, man.

I really don't read super hero comics anymore.... I'm just feeling strange because I like Carey on Vertigo and I think the writers should progress.... and going to super hero stories is the opposite..... don't know... this is just my opinion...

I don't really like people who only seek for money and power.... hope this were not Mike's desire...

I don't really like people who only seek for money and power.... hope this were not Mike's desire...

Hey, we've all got to pay the bills man.

Your suggestion that writing superheroes is in someway step down from writing (say) a horror back is nonsense - I'd hold Grant Morrison's Animal Man or Alan Moore's Miracleman up against any non-superhero book.

Hey, we've all got to pay the bills man.

Yes, I know.... this is the problem....

I will just miss his work in Hellblazer and Lucifer but in Hellblazer I'm quite sure that nobody is irreplaceable.

And I really cannot read super hero anymore.... It just don't fit in my concepts.... That's why I don't like not even Watchman..... But V for Vendetta, From Hell and Hellblazer are just perfect for my concepts....

Hope you undestand what I mean...

I didn't think Mike was talking literally when he said he was taking John to hell. 

I dunno, when he said "we're going to take John down to hell" it sounded like he was talking about the literal place called "hell" which is in the title of the book. He could have said something like "we're going to give John hell" or "I'm going to make John's life a living hell" which is pretty much what he's been doing for his whole run so I don't see how that would be different. Oh well we'll see in about half a years time.

And I really cannot read super hero anymore.... It just don't fit in my concepts.... That's why I don't like not even Watchman..... But V for Vendetta, From Hell and Hellblazer are just perfect for my concepts....

I'd call V a super-hero.

I'm interested in the sending him to Hell story if that's what Mike plans to do. Time's flown by if he's almost done with his run.

I'll rally for Warren Ellis as writer but I don't see it happening.

Or super villain, super anti-hero, whatever.

Secret identity, gifted with superpowers caused by Bad Science and with a plucky teenage sidekick. Super!

Or super villain, super anti-hero, whatever.

Secret identity, gifted with superpowers caused by Bad Science and with a plucky teenage sidekick. Super!

If this is superhero, them I like it!! :happy:

I frequently find that those who write the best "superhero" comics are those who ignore most of the established cliches and "rules". Watchmen and V for Vendetta being cases in point. "Traditional" superhero stuff usually bores me.

(not knocking the fact that someone like this genre, though. Tastes are different after all)