Sign in to follow this  
lyra

Your favorite film from each decade 1910-200-

Is it ok if i post my 50 fav. films or something likewise?

Tony seems to think that's cool Hagren, so you might as well...

Ok then, here it is (No definitve, its also not really in order, its much about what im influenced by in the near past, from the top of my head:

The great Dictator, Modern Times, The Kid, City Lights, Un chien andalou, Lord of War, Green Mile, Oldboy, Royal Tenenbaums, La vite e bella, Edward Scissorhands, Forrest Gump, Amelie, Bowling for Columbine, Requiem for a Dream, Constant Gardener, Moulin Rouge, Terminator 2, Kill Bill 2, Kill Bill 1, Finding Neverland, Pulp Fiction, Snatch, Fight Club, Donnie Darko, Machinist, American Psycho, American History X, Walk the Line, Some like it hot, Monty Pythons Meaning of life, Monty Pythons Holy Grail, One hour photo, And now for something completely different, Monty Pythons Life of Brian, Matrix, Indiana Jones and the last Crusade, Lord of the Rings: The fellowship of the ring, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, Lord of the Rings: The two towers, Sixth Sense, The Ring, The Thing, Interview with a Vampire, Die Hard, Yellow Submarine, Groundhog Day, Rockie Horror Picture Show, the fly, The Godfather, Finding Nemo,

Also good:

Spiderman 1, 2, Pirates, Constantine, X-Men, Mummy, Last Samurai, Charlie and the chocolate fac, Corpse Bride, From Dusk till dawn, Hellboy, Lemony Snicket, Meet the fockers, Shaun of the Dead, Love actually, Finding Neverland etc.

I also dont like Western. Mark, which film would you recommend to gain a neat entry in the Western world?

Mark will probably be able to help you out more on the traditional westerns front but some great newer ones are Unforgiven, McCabe and Mrs Miller, The Wild Bunch (which I mentioned before) and the various Sergio Leone westerns are very good. A very weird example of the western that is well worth watching is Jodorowsky's El Topo.

There's also Django, Johnny Guitar, Pat Garret and Billy The Kid, The Long Riders and High Plains Drifter...

I don't consider myself a western fan, although I've seen a fair number of them in my process to educate myself about cinema.

You've been given the names of some good ones. Some others to think about are:

How the West Was Won

Shane

High Noon

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Stagecoach

The Magnificent Seven

A Fistful of Dollars

The Great Train Robbery

The Plainsman

Rio Bravo

Jesse James (1939)

The Ox-Bow Incident

True Grit

Rooster Cogburn

The Shootist

Ride the High Country

Pale Rider

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Shenandoah

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Red River

If you want to do an exercise in comparing movies with the same basic story you could try watching Hour of the Gun (James Garner), Wyatt Earp (Kevin Costner), Gunfight at the OK Corral (Burt Lancaster), Tombstone (Kurt Russell), and My Darling Clementine (Henry Fonda). There are more retellings of this same story, but these are some of the major ones.

If you want some lighter westerns you can always look at:

Destry Rides Again

Blazing Saddles

Maverick (the Mel Gibson version -- again not my favourite movie or even a first class movie, but one of the better recent TV to movie film projects, even if Mel can't hold a candle to Garner)

Support Your Local Sheriff (a personal favourite, if not a great movie -- the sequel Support You Local Gunfighter isn't as quite as good)

Here's a good online site for future reference.

http://www.filmsite.org/westernfilms6.html

The trick is not to think of westerns as a separate category of movies. They are just movies. Some are revenge pictures. Some are straight action movies. Some are morality plays.

Don't forget The Outlaw Josey Wales featuring the highest body count of them all!

Bounty hunter: You're wanted, Wales.

Josey Wales: Reckon I'm right popular. You a bounty hunter?

Bounty hunter: A man's got to do something for a living these days.

Josey Wales: Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy.

I wish they had been able to use the Man with No Name in How the West was won. CLint Eastwood didn't want his character to die.

I saw Pale Rider recently that was a pretty intense film. I've never seen Clint play such a bastard before the way he just raped that woman in broad daylight with the town watching.

Matrix. Kung-fu, PVC and fighting the system. And Bill (or Ted) as the saviour of the world. Damn those guys were on drugs.

Or possibly serenity, havent seen it yet, but Firefly (the tv series its based on), kicks rectum

The "technical proficiency" which you seem to regard pretty dismissively is a big part of the film's appeal, too - Ford is a masterful craftsman

Oh, definitely. See Cheyenne Autumn if you have any doubt about that. :biggrin:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon springs to mind in connection with that as well.

The 90's were the hardest. That was a great decade for movies.

1910s-Don't think I've seen any!

1920s-Probably have seen one or two, not enough to consider anything.

1930s-The Wizard of Oz

1940s-The Maltese Falcon

1950s-Vertigo

1960s-Psycho

1970s-A Clockwork Orange

1980s-Amadeus

1990s-Twelve Monkeys

2000s-Mulholland Drive