lyra

Graphic Novel Elimination game

Once this elimination round ends someone needs to make another list of 7 books for round B and set the rules. I hope to have at least 4 total rounds then we can pit those 4 against each other. I'd like to continue it in this thread so we don't have a bunch of elimination threads.

This could very well turn out in the Dark Knights Favor. Christian could vote again at midnight.

TestosteRohne your explaination for picking the DArk Knight over the Watchman has me pondering my next vote. Nice post.

Admittedly, I'm one of those people who just doesn't care all that much for Watchmen

It's ok, but certainly not great imho.

I'm not crazy about Dark Knight either, so I guess that makes me a heretic.

Yeah, it was kind of sad to see the TWO GREATEST BOOKS EVER WRITTEN ACCORDING TO WIZARD come down as the final two choices in our game poll too. We just needed "The Dark Phoenix Saga", and we can quit going on about this stupid underground book that no one reads about some guy in a trenchcoat, and start talking about REAL MANLY COMICS like X-Men and Superman!

Watchmen is a really good book. I really like "Dark Knight Returns", and place it slightly above "Watchmen", but the two books are just so over-rated that I have a hard time saying nice things about them.

Everyone always raves about how they're the greatest things to ever come out of the field of comic books, and they're just not quite that good, although they're better than at least 90% of the comics ever published.

Admittedly, I'm one of those people who just doesn't care all that much for Watchmen

It's ok, but certainly not great imho.

I'm not crazy about Dark Knight either, so I guess that makes me a heretic.

Yeah, it was kind of sad to see the TWO GREATEST BOOKS EVER WRITTEN ACCORDING TO WIZARD come down as the final two choices in our game poll too. We just needed "The Dark Phoenix Saga", and we can quit going on about this stupid underground book that no one reads about some guy in a trenchcoat, and start talking about REAL MANLY COMICS like X-Men and Superman!

Watchmen is a really good book. I really like "Dark Knight Returns", and place it slightly above "Watchmen", but the two books are just so over-rated that I have a hard time saying nice things about them.

Everyone always raves about how they're the greatest things to ever come out of the field of comic books, and they're just not quite that good, although they're better than at least 90% of the comics ever published.

Precisely. Compared to the vast majority of comics they are great. But compared to other comics that I consider to be truly great, they're just ok.

One thing that drives me nuts about Watchmen is the story-within-the-story Pirate comic. I thought it failed on all levels and was the literary equivalent of putting speed bumps on the track at the Indy 500.

Now, on to the game:

Watchmen 8-5=3

The Dark Knight Returns 11+1=12

Yay! I'm happy!

Trace-I agree completely with you about the Pirate comic within the comic! I didn't think it worked at all and it ended up boring me and taking me out of the story I was actually enjoying.

christian make up a list of graphic novels for the next round.

IT really did come down to two of the best graphic novels.

Yeah, actually with the choices we had at the beginning of the game, coming down to DKR and W.M. wasn't bad.

OK Lyra. I am now the Chosen One. I accept this position and will do you proud.

Give me a little bit to think up 10 new G.N.s that people have read and deserve a place on the list....

Abhi speaks the truth!

Yes, DKR was entertaining and well-written, but it's not even in the same league as Watchmen.

BASTARDS!