Sign in to follow this  
TestosteRohne

Whose side are you on?

I hope that Marvel don't cock this thing up.

The concept is great enough, and it is a logical progression of the Marvel U.

The sentinals are a nice touch, because Marvel already did a Civil war thingy in the X-Titles, when they had Project Wideawake (or whatever) and the Sentinals attacked all Mutants....twice.

Was Nitro the mutant who tried to assasinate Murdock in Bendis' opening six issues of DD?

Still, thematically Daredevil and The Punisher should be the heart and soul of the mini series.

What in the name of Sam Hill is DD doing out already, and even if it is the imposter, can't Wolverine or anyone smell/see/hear the difference? :huh:

I don't think we'll see big Pun in any of this. He's just a man after all.

Story was OK but the artwork really stole the show. Very precise and clear. Well done.

I hope that Marvel don't cock this thing up.

The concept is great enough, and it is a logical progression of the Marvel U.

The sentinals are a nice touch, because Marvel already did a Civil war thingy in the X-Titles, when they had Project Wideawake (or whatever) and the Sentinals attacked all Mutants....twice.

Was Nitro the mutant who tried to assasinate Murdock in Bendis' opening six issues of DD?

Still, thematically Daredevil and The Punisher should be the heart and soul of the mini series.

What in the name of Sam Hill is DD doing out already, and even if it is the imposter, can't Wolverine or anyone smell/see/hear the difference? :huh:

Although, technically, it's an homage to Walt Simonson.

In the '80s, he came up with the idea that the government would want to register all superhumans, so that they could be called upon in times of war and so that the law would have jurisdiction over them.

It was revealed to be some supervillain in disguise who proposed the bill or the president vetoed the idea because it would hurt superheroes' familes. I forget exactly how it ended.

So, really, this is like the government pulling out some old legislation and trying to reinstate it and make it stick this time.

Nitro? The old supervillain who ended up giving Captain Marvel cancer?

Guest spiderlegs

Does anyone else see "Infinite Crisis turned out better than we thought--we need a gimmick!" ?

Cuz that's what I thought when I saw the teaser mini at my local shop.

No, they did "House of M" last year.

It's just the return of the annual (they never stop) company wide cross-over to the world of comics.

"Comics don't sell as well as the 90s? What did we have in the 90s that we don't have know? Pointless series, stupid plots, gimmicky covers....hmm....and CROSS-OVERS!"

I got civil war one this morning so NANAHNAH not listening gotta read it first.

Looks great though iv'e really been looking forward to it. I cant believe the side spider-mans on fuck me i really am so lloking forward to this heating up!

Can't help but notice that X-Men 3 the movie, has the very same tagline.

Synnergy hey.

Where the hell of you been it was like the first bit of the first x-men film, registering superpowered mutants!!

Read civil war 1 looks like a fucking great set up, thank god miller has this one bendis fucked up house of m, i hope Captain America gets his ass kicked!!

Im for stark and spidey!! Conform or Die!!!!

You know, some of the sides really make no sense!

Captain America should be on the government's side. Yeah, I know. Millar is trying to make this about civil liberties, so it's relevant, and in that context, Capt. America is upholding American democratic values, but the story doesn't work in that context.

I guess I can see Iron Man, Mr. Capitalism, siding with the American government, even though it goes against nearly 40 years of past story-lines, but Spider Man makes no fucking sense! This is the guy who freaked out his entire career worrying that someone would find out his secret identity and use it against his loved ones like Green Goblin did with Gwen Stacy. This is out-of-character for Peter Parker.

Owning 33 years of Iron Man myself (Yeah, it's not something I can really boast about), I think Stark's choice is in keeping with his character.

I just think that it is the Government specific side that sticks out Christian, not the actual choice.

From his origin onwards through Armour Wars (Which Civil War should play upon) to Stark becoming Secretary of Defense, Stark has always been wary of the government and his involvment with them.

But in the context of Stark and Civil War, I still believe that his choice reflects his character.

Anywho Stark, has a history of kicking other Superheroes asses.

He kicked Cap's in Armour Wars, but heres hoping Captain "Do you think the A on my forehead stands for France" America will tear Tony a new one.

I actually love Tony Stark. I'm rooting for Iron Man to destroy Captain America.

I own the entire Iron Man vol. 1 comic book. I own all of the "Tales of Suspense" Iron Man stories in the Essential books. I own all the horrible "Heroes' Reborn" series. And I own all of the Kurt Busiek run on "Iron Man" vol. 3 (I couldn't stand to read the book anymore after Busiek left though). I did pick up Ellis' issues #1 & 2, but hated them.

I don't make any apologies for my Iron Man collection! :D

OK, now on the one hand, I can see your point about Tony Stark, I even said similar things in my post.

But, at the same time, Stark has always put his business first. He doesn't trust the government (well, he stopped in the 1970s, before that Stan Lee had a far too optimistic view of conformity....). He doesn't want anyone to know the plans for his armour. He's always been secretive.

The "Armour Wars" are a perfect example! Stark pretty well lost his mind and went out to do whatever he had to do to make sure that no one else had the technology for his armour.

I could see him, in a Batman sort of role, wanting to know everything about the other superheroes, but he wouldn't want the government to have the same information about himself.

Remember that story-line where Tony Stark decided that too many people knew his secret identity? He found a way to mind-wipe the information that "Tony Stark is Iron Man" from every mind on the planet.

Remember that story-line where Tony Stark decided that too many people knew his secret identity? He found a way to mind-wipe the information that "Tony Stark is Iron Man" from every mind on the planet.

Exactly, and that very same annual had him alongside Cap too.

Tony is often up for such scary decisions, and in this case it happens to coincide with the Government's.

I love Tony too (I wave the it-only-takes-one-punch-to-drop-the-Hulk issue around with glee) but when is a writer going to do him justice?

Never again, Test..... :icon_cry:

Maybe there's some thought in Tony's head that if he sides with the government, they'll grant him lee-way or power? I really would love it if he came out of this as a Bruce Wayne figure. Where he knows everything about the other heroes, but they really don't know all that much about him.

Have you noticed that Iron Man has always been a more vicious character than the other original Marvel heroes? He killed the Crusher when he didn't think there was any other way to stop him. He made the decision to trap Living Laser in a living hell, when he had no other choice. He makes cold-blooded decisions against his enemies if he feels it is the only way to protect his interests.

Grinning-I hate what he stands for....but I love what he is, if that makes sense.

He's thinking that if he does this. There will be less casualties.

Spider-man is going to side against Iron Man. The only reason peter is on his side now is because of the new suit. during the other issues he change sides.

Captain America is for the Gov't cept that he is also for freedom. And them forcing him to go after people who didnt register and forcing people to give up their ID's. Goes against that Freedom.

Stark's in bed with the government over the registration of secret identities? That all turns to shite if you think about it for too long. If Stark existed in the real world, the government would demand he released Iron Man technology for its medical benefits, and the media would pillory him for refusing.

That was my point as to why Iron Man siding with the government doesn't make sense.

But, if my theory is correct, it would make sense as Tony Stark will end up ahead of everyone.

And yes, in real world siding with the government wouldn't mean shit unless he went along with everything the government, but this is the Marvel Universe, so maybe being loyal to the government will give Tony Stark lee-way.

2 years from now this whole thing will be forgotten.

Anybody remember the Mutant Registration Act? No? My point exactly.

Yeah. They at least attempted to bury that under the rug. What was it? Senator Kelly gets a change of heart and decides he loves mutants, I'm pretty sure.

I see this as being a big fucking mistake now!

It really doesn't make sense for anyone to side with the government. It seems like they're forcing people to take sides, instead of anyone actually having a good reason, character wise, to join the government side.

The Marvel Universe superheroes have always been pretty anti-authoritarian.

The Fantastic Four would really be the only characters who made sense siding with the government, and that would look very badly on them, as the only reason they have for joining is it doesn't affect them. All of their inventions are patented and everyone knows their real identities.

I think this was a better idea when Walt Simonson used it. It was a simple story-line. Bill is proposed, evil is revealed, bill is vetoed, the end.

Remember the JSA story where it was revealed that the JSA broke up because of HUAC? Yeah.....

Really this story-line is so far removed from our reality. What are they fighting about? If vigilantes are protected by the law? Well, we already know that vigilante rights are not protected. It has nothing to do with freedom. It has to do with a universe composed almost entirely of vigilantes, who were conveniently ignored by the law most of the time, until it got to the point where the situation was out of control, with vigilantes operating freely without anyone blinking an eye.

The reason for this bill is because peoples insurance rates have gone through the roof.

One thing tho, I'm sure there is like different policy's. Made they consider Spider-man or the Hulk accidently blowing your car up an "Act of God." so you don't get much coverage on it. I mean Spider-man or Daredevil or Punisher causing that amount of damage has to be an every day type event. By now most people in the MU have to atleast really high insurance rates and maybe very good health insurance.

Either that or they are getting shafted and the US Gov't is like " My mini van got blown up by the Rhino. Lets send him a bill" "But sir, we don't know where he lives who he is." "Well then, lets make a Bill that forces people who are super heroes or villains to register. So they can pay the damage costs."

Yeah, that's always good thinking!

"I know there are some people who are in an uproar over our new super powered registration act. But, we want to assure everyone that all super villains will be forced to register or they will become wanted criminals!"

"umm....Super villains already are criminals! They're not going to register."

Besides, doesn't SHIELD already have almost all of this information? Last I knew, their computers knew who people like Wolverine, Spider Man, and Iron Man really were, but they were sworn to keep the information secret, unless the government needed to know (say if Iron Man decided to conquer Cuba).

One thing tho, I'm sure there is like different policy's. Made they consider Spider-man or the Hulk accidently blowing your car up an "Act of God." so you don't get much coverage on it.

It pops up in DD somewhere, where Matt brocures a major Superhero damage fund/insurance for the city.

Have you noticed that Iron Man has always been a more vicious character than the other original Marvel heroes? He killed the Crusher when he didn't think there was any other way to stop him. He made the decision to trap Living Laser in a living hell, when he had no other choice. He makes cold-blooded decisions against his enemies if he feels it is the only way to protect his interests.

Yeah.

They are like business decisions in the Superhero arena.

Deep down, I love the fact that when Thor gives Tony a magical artifact.

The immediate thing Tony can think of is how to build a suit, that would specifically hand that Asgardian his own magical arse back to him.

He's already got a well covered Hulk Buster suit too.

It's like everyone new he meets, he's already planning a specific suit, to punch them in the cocks!

Oh my God Tony! Howard the Duck has gone on a rampage.

Dont worry Pepper, I've already secretly developed a suit specifically for this day.

Brother Eye, was complete Iron Man territory.

Im in bed with tony stark in this debate along with christian, peters with tony because he is his protege now, i dont think petes going to turn though he will be extremely conflicted with this.

I thaught stark was planning to see it through till everything calms down and people trust supers again then fight to revoke it the bill?

So not many people have actually said but whos side are you all routing for.

I'm not going to get sucked into the mild ideaolgy behind this.

The Black Panther is the only one wise enough to deal with the whole Civil War.

Anyway, where Cap goes I follow!