The Gotham Central story actually continues in all sorts of places, believe it or not.

The New Spectre story-line continues the Corrigan plot (umm....sorta. I don't want to say more because it would spoil it).

So, Days of Vengeance is where the New Spectre story-line starts.

Infinite Crisis and the new Tales of the Unexpected series also have plots relevant to the New Spectre.

Montoya's plot continues throughout 52. Montoya teams up with the Question and they go to meet Black Adam to discuss Intergang coming to Gotham, and this has really been the biggest plot in 52 so far. So, if you love Montoya and want to see what she's been up to, you should read 52.

And, isn't Greg Rucka relaunching Gotham Central as a more fan-friendly title? Has that ever happened?

Oh, I'm also not endorsing any of these New Spectre stories as can't miss or great reads. They just continue the story. I didn't say they did it in an acceptable manner or that it's anything like you'd want to expect from Gotham Central. Just, that's where that plot continues after Gotham Central.

Yeah, 52 has had a strong focus on "Renee Montoya gets her shit back together" - it started out a bit wonkily, to my tastes, but since settling into its stride, it's been one of my favourite plot strands of the series. Very different in tone from Gotham Central, but she's still recognizably the same character - well worth checking out, if you're interested in finding out where the story goes after the final GC arc. As yet, it's not entirely clear where her character arc is going to end up taking her (although I've got a few suspicions) - she's still very much playing apprentice to The Question - but after the despondent wreck she was left as after the end of Gotham Central, she's been growing more confident and assured as 52 has continued. She's been mixing far more actively in super-powered situations than was ever the case in the more street-level GC, but not to a truly plausibility-stretching extent.

The Black Adam/Kahndaq storyline, which is intermingled with the Montoya/Question stuff, has been one of my least-favourite parts of the series, unfortunately, but hey...you can't have everything - and besides, mileages seem to vary when it comes to which bits of 52 are working for different people. A few folks round these parts and elsewhere seem to be loving the Black Adam stuff, for example, while the mad-scientists-on-Oolong-Island plot, which has been entertaining me pretty solidly ever since Day One, has come in for a bit of stick in this thread. Go figure.

The Crisis Aftermath: The Spectre miniseries, by Will Pfeiffer and Cliff Chiang, continued and wrapped up the Cris Allen/Jim Corrigan storyline, but it was also a bit...well...rubbish (I downloaded it solely out of curiosity, and vaguely regretted expending time and effort on even that). So, caveat emptor.

Christian - back before the cancellation had formally been announced there were rumours of a new, post-Gotham Central title called Streets Of Gotham or somesuch, but they amounted to nothing in the end. Rucka seems busy enough with other work these days, and his interviews around the time GC came to an end made it pretty clear that, as far as he was concerned, it was over.

The early Black Adam stuff was pretty good, especially his efforts at creating a Global version of the JL to offset the threat he saw from the US' superpowered folks but those elements quickly gave way to the whole Black Adam Family thing which never really grabbed me.

More head-punches and less lovey-dovey, if you please, chaps.

One minor thing irritated me a little this week, I'm pretty sure that some earlier scenes on the Island Of Mad Scientests showed an abundance of super-model types around so having everyone act the muppet at the arrival of a woman scientest seemed a little weird.

Thanks, guys. I'll have a look at the first issue of Crisis Aftermath: The Spectre, suitably warned. :) First reaction to the new Spectre is that I wished they'd left you-know-who respectfully dead, but I'll reserve judgement. And I guess it's more the "Corrigan gets away with it / Montoya quits" storyline I want to see resolved, rather than following Montoya through whatever her New Adventures are; so I'll give 52 a miss for now, until it leads somewhere.

I thought Seven Soldiers took place post-Infinite Crisis?

They've decided that the earliest point in the modern-day section of the story (Zatanna's self-help group) takes place one month prior to Infinite Crisis and that the climax takes place during it, which is why none of the big superheroes are around to deal with the Sheeda.

As I understood it from fairly early on (it was described thusly by Morrison and Dan Didio at the 2005 SDCC, anyway), the events of Seven Soldiers take place during the week leading up to Infinite Crisis, culminating during the Crisis. That's more-or-less backed up by various little scenes in various issues of the crossover, although it doesn't quite explain what some of the Soldiers are doing when they show up in the pages of IC.

Thinking about it earlier, there's not really much of a problem with Frankenstein turning up in the big Infinite Crisis battle, since it's clearly established in his miniseries that he was working for SHADE during that whole week prior to heading into the future for his confrontation with Gloriana. Most of the others' appearances are dubious at best, though.

Week 27-Well, I'm not sure what's wrong. If it's just me or if the series has just gotten old. This issue was better than the last few....but it still didn't grab me.

Lots of good stuff with the Spectre and the Question and missing time....but I really find myself just completely underwhelmed by this series now.

It was one of the high points of each week for me too.

I just have one thing to say - if the Question is the significant character who's supposed to die, of lung cancer of all things, I will be very upset, and as a result hate all of 52, no matter what else happens. I'm mean and irrational like that. The Question is my favourite character, and if he dies, the whole comic can go to Hell. Besides, they already killed off Booster Gold. But of course it's going to turn out that that wasn't really Booster after all. Seriously, will hate all of it - they could kill boring bearded Ralph (whose storylines do little for me) and hence reunite him with his dead wife, or Steel, who is also way dull. But not the Question. :mad:

OK, so I had one more thing to say. The art in the Origin of Black Canary was truly eye-gougingly bad. Her thighs look like Christmas hams in that first panel. So awful.

HA! I know! Chaykin seems to have decided to spend all of 10 minutes doing the art for the Black Canary origin.

Did you read somewhere that an important character was supposed to die in 52?

I really never even thought about the Question actually dying.

Did you read somewhere that an important character was supposed to die in 52?

Yeah, it was mentioned during the early bouts of pre-publicity. Me, I'd assumed that it was a reference to Booster Gold (who'll be back later, in his proper, from-the-real-timeline incarnation), but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the Question bites it. They've been pretty obvious about setting Montoya up as a replacement, after all (The Answer?), and if his line about the cancer wasn't a bluff, it'd probably be a bit lame to just back out on it later in the series with a magic fix-me-up.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong, though, and it's perfectly possible.

Yeah, i think Montoya is being set up as an "All New" female Question. Remember Ambush Bug being a female Question in the back of the book a few weeks ago...

It may have just been all the DCU/Vertigo talk on these boards recently, but i half expected Ralph to meet up with Constantine when he mentioned something about a 'Dark Magic User' or some such...

I seem to be reading this series for 3 plots at this point, and those plots seem to come up once in a blue moon, and seem to be moving at a snail's pace.

Time is Broken is barely touched on at all, and only indirectly.

Ralph becomes Dante is seen more, but seems to move in slow motion.

And, it's been over a month since we last saw the Animal Man in space plot.

That was the only plot I was interested in with issue #28, and not much happened to really advance that plot either.

Remember when these book moved at such a pace that you had to be manic to keep up with it all? And then it all crawled to a snail's pace and very little happens from issue to issue.

I actually prefer it this way. Before, it felt like I was only just getting into the rhythm of the story by the time it finished.

52, Week 29-This issue was much better than I've been finding the past couple of issues.

Stories about the Golden Age superheroes in the present always made me sad. There's so much hidden sadness inherent with the stories of the older generation of superheroes, as they come to the twilight of their careers.

The Island of Mad Scientists plot is really picking up nicely too. This looks really interesting.

Week 30-Well, I liked the parts with Batman. I have to say that this part of 52 is ruined because we know how things are going to turn out, although not why. If you're a Batman fan and wondering what happened to him before One Year Later, it's good. And I do like the plot.

The rest of it is same ol'-trying to convince us how cool the new Batwoman is-or too dark-The Question.

I read these last two issues back to back as i didn't get by the comicshop last week, and really enjoyed them. the Batman plot was good, I do wonder when we'll see Harvey Dent in the 52 era, as it was made to seem like he had a very hands on role in the Robinson Batman books and we haven't seen him yet.

The JSA part did make me sad, Todd was understandably pissed off, I look forward to seeing the demise of this new Infiniti Inc. As they are total asses.

Week 31-This was a pretty good issue as the majority was taken up by the Capt. Comet plot which crosses over into the Animal Man in Space plot. I'm enjoying that story the most in this book.

I'm wondering who Supernova is now.

Undead space army rampaging (presumably) towards Earth - oh fuck yes - the Queen reminded me a little of Gloriana from Seven Soldiers for some reason, the Goth factor maybe ? Having her chomp down on some Green Lantern rings whilst wearing the remains of an actual Lantern as an ear-ring was so far over the melodramatic top that I couldn't help but love it.

Bonus points for the grim fate of Captain Comet, which was only outgrossed by the seriously wrong issue of the Walking Dead that also came out last week.

Yeah, it was a pretty horrible issue for an ostensibly all-ages comic. Still, at least there's a proper story for the thing now.

And yeah, I got that Seven Soldiers vibe as well. Matriarchal, technologically advanced super-nasties who convert the good guys to their cause with evil super-science? Oh yes.

Is Captain Comet an old-school DC character, then, or just someone who was invented for this issue?

52 has featured swearing in it. It's non-code approved. I don't think it was created as an all-ages title.

Capt. Comet was created in the 1950s.

He's starring in the new Mystery in Space title written by Jim Starlin.