Swearing? I don't remember that. Which issue/scene?

Anyway, none of DC's comics are code approved these days (except the ones from the kids' lines). I just meant that it hadn't got a 'mature readers' tag - hence 'ostensibly'.

There's swearing in a lot of the issues of 52. It surprised me because I thought it was an all ages appropriate book until I noticed the swear words.

Nothing like Vertigo or anything. Animal Man wasn't running around shouting, "Fuck!".

I thought DC still used the comic code on their comics.

Yes. I just checked. Grant Morrison's Batman is comic code approved.

I think DC is still using the old format.

Comic code = all ages

Non-comic code = parental guidance

Mature readers (rarely published under DC banner now anyway)

Which specific swear words, though? I don't usually pick up on these things because swearing means nothing to me, but I'm sure I would have noticed Renee saying "shit"...

Yes. I just checked. Grant Morrison's Batman is comic code approved.

So it is, and with the severed heads and everything! It's odd, because I could have sworn they dropped the CCA checks before Marvel did - but obviously not.

Mostly "damn" and "hell", but I remember them using a "bitch" at some point....although it might've been "Bi---", one of those cases where someone else interrupts the character before they say the word, but you know what they were going to say.

Are little kids meant to see "damn" and "hell"?

Surely their immortal souls are in far more jeopardy from reading swear words than seeing what happened to Capt. Comet!

I mean, think about it! As a parent, you tell your kids, "God did that to Capt. Comet because he was a heathen!", but what do you do when your kids starts using "damn" and "hell" because their favourite colourful superhero used those words? What sort of example is that?

DC is surely damning innocent childrens' souls to Hell!

I absolutely loved this issue. Most of it was Ralph visiting Nanda Parbat. Great stuff.

52 seems to be impressing me more and more every week again, after a big lull for a while there.

Week 33-It was an ok issue. Nothing much happened. Very average. The best scene was Elaine Baker (Animal Man's wife) standing on the back porch of their house looking up to the sky on Christmas night thinking about Buddy, but that's just one panel of the issue.

I really enjoyed #33, personally - a breather issue, but that's appropriate enough for the Christmas week. The art on the Lex Luthor pages was beyond awful, though, and I'm going to be unbelievably pissed off if/when Black Adam's downfall comes about as a result of Isis being killed. Women in refridgerators, and all that. I don't even particularly like the character, but if I never read another story in which a male character's "character development" relies on the death/rape/crippling of a female supporting character, it'd be too soon. It's been done to death and beyond, and I'd been hoping against hope that the writers of 52 might, just might, have something a tiny bit more interesting in mind. Doesn't look like it, though.

I got worried by that preview panel as well, Mark. I hope it's not as it seems.

I really enjoy the Tawky Croc-ie, Black Adam Jr. bits. I find myself getting bored by Ralph's journey right now, But i found the question's imminant demise pretty well done.

Did anyone else catch a throwaway line by the Chinese Green Lantern character who was in the last issue?

"I can eat cancer with my tongue." Something to that effect. I'm too lazy to transcribe the actual dialogue. It concerned his ability to "eat cancer" though.

Think it was a hint about the fate of the Question?

Yeah, I've hated the Black Adam part so far, and it'd move into mind-numbing bad with that plot direction. Post-Infinite Crisis, let's leave the Black Adam family happy for a few years before everything gets dark and gritty in the DCU again. Wasn't the point of I.C. to bring colour and light back to the DCU?

I think some people have said it's Mister Miracle. Others reckon it's Rip whatsisface, the Time Master...

I think Booster is Rip Hunter. Whether or not he's Supernova, I'm not certain anymore - I was fairly sure of it a few months back, but now I've got my doubts.

#34-Ugh! "How dark can we make a mainstream superhero comic?" asks DC, and this is the answer. This issue would be great, if you were planning to shoot up on heroin and kill yourself!

Was that really "the last words of the Question", as the cover clearly states? Ugh!

I thought the post-I.C. DC was supposed to be less grim and gritty? This week's DC comics I bought made me think it was 1986 all over again, only without the class. Ugh!

I didn't find anything redeeming in this issue. Way to start the New Year for us comic geeks DC (it was the New Year's Eve issue)! Yeah!

yes, but as DC's Countless Crisises and Crossover has proved to the muckity mucs in the Top Offices, Grim and Gritty sells baby!

Geoff Johns' increasingly-tedious dismemberment fetish aside, I rather liked it. Of course things are getting dark and miserable at around this stage - we're almost 2/3 of the way through the story, which is typically the "everything that can go wrong, goes wrong" point in a narrative. I fully expect things to get even worse over the next couple of weeks, before the (surviving) heroes rally round to achieve their triumphant against-the-odds victory by week #52.

Also, I've been loving Lex Luthor's scenes throughout the series, and this issue had one of the best yet.

Good art, too.

#35-Eh, better than the depression of last issue, but nothing caught my attention. I'm bored with the New Infinity Inc. story-line, and that took up 3/4 of this issue. The Animal Man in space plot got advanced, but it was more of a prologue. The next issue looks like something I'll enjoy though, as it looks like it's mainly going to focus on the Animal Man plot.

This further evolution of the book, where each issue is given over mostly to furthering one plot is a good idea, from a writing perspective, but since there were really only 2 or 3 plots I stayed interested in with 52, it leads to a lot of dull issues for me.

#36-This was a good issue.

I think Question being the person to die was just a red herring. I don't think he'll end up being the character to die now.

I also think what happens in the Lobo plot is more than it appears. At least I hope so. I'm going to wait and see before I decide I'm pissed.

Rip Hunter returns and that had to be my favourite plot of this issue.

But, that final shot of Power Girl, on the very last page of the issue, where the background fades to white and blends in with her costume.....how tacky!

I've stopped even looking at those 2 page origin storys. I'm much rather have 2 more pages of plot.

Wow. Who saw that Supernova reveal coming?

Oh, yeah. Everyone. Still, not a bad issue, and that last page suggests the final stretch of the book might benefit from some old-style Morrisonism. Which'd be nice.