So who were those 2 alien folks hovering over Buddy on the last page. I'm not really that up on the Off-Earth residents of the DCU.

They're the aliens who first gave Buddy his powers, among other things.

To find out more, you should read Grant Morrison's Animal Man series - it's collected in three trades, and it's ace.

If I'd read Animal Man, would I know what they were referring to with "it" starting?

Desperately disappointed with the wrap-up of the SheedaLite baddie, by the way. But the nature of the comic means they have at most one issue for any fight, I suppose.

Not specifically (so far as I can recall), no, although you might have a vague idea what sort of direction this particular plot strand is likely to go in from from this point (not that you couldn't probably work it out from a basic familiarity with Morrison's usual preoccupations, mind).

I've stopped even looking at those 2 page origin storys. I'm much rather have 2 more pages of plot.

Too true. I mean I understand the intentions i.e get the new kids the down low and refresh continuity for the fanboys but honestly these origins are no more than glorified pin-ups written in the oh so informative "Origins' books we got five years ago. And the choices and order? What why a Wonder Woman origin out of left field.

Otherwise I am still enjoying the series not a knock-out like I thought it would be but still having a bit of fun along the way. Looking forward to the death of Skeets / Black Adam storyline which has to launch World War III in my opinion as well as the Horsemen storyline.

#38-I absolutely loved the island of mad scientists plot. Great stuff with the Four Horsemen.

As for the rest of the book? Well, you take the bad with the good, eh?

Week 39-Well, I enjoyed the Ralph Dibny plot, for however long it lasted. The issue mostly revolved around the Lex Luthor plot, which I am well past sick of. This issue, for the most part, left me bored, but it was far from a bad issue.

So, this whole 52 series is all building up to the World War 3 story?

I guess so, and according to the back of the book, it will be yet another miniseries. (but the way i read it, it sounded like they all come out the same week). It's a shame 52 couldn't handle this WW3 event, as i'm pretty sure i don't want to buy another book.

I liked the Ralph part, not sure why he didn't recognize Aquaman, though.

Yeah, that conversation with Aquaman was sort of confusing, but I thought it was neat that they went to Atlantis in search of the origins of magic.

Yeah, that conversation with Aquaman was sort of confusing, but I thought it was neat that they went to Atlantis in search of the origins of magic.

I for one also dont get how Ralph didnt recognize Aquaman maybe magic I dont know.

Secondly it looks like maybe Charlie is going to make it in Nanda Parbat...but Montoya should still become the next Question...

These missing 52 seconds is definitelly something I want to see pay off...

Anyone else want to see T.O.MORROW get out of this series and star in another book...his just so freaking above anyone else...the metal men should be back soon...Im not sure about this "invisible/never there"

fourth Horsemen...hm...

I for one wont buy WW3 mini series...it doesnt appeal to me and really Im sure the broadstrokes will be covered in 52...

The Jake reveal was a favorite moment so far in the series...

Looking forward to the fall of Luthor and the tragic downfall of Black Adam...

I for one wont buy WW3 mini series...it doesnt appeal to me and really Im sure the broadstrokes will be covered in 52...

I'll be fucking annoyed if they aren't.

DOCTOR FATE #1

Written by Steve Gerber

Art and cover by Paul Gulacy

Variant cover by Gene Ha

“The Helmet of Fate” explodes into a new ongoing series dedicated to the popular member of the JSA! Psychiatrist Kent Nelson finds even stranger depths within the human mind than he has in any mystical realm. How can he begin to help others when his own life is a shambles? Find out in this amazing debut issue!

Retailers: This issue will feature two covers that may be ordered separately. One copy of the Variant Edition may be ordered for every 10 copies of the Standard Edition ordered. Please see the Previews Order Form for further details.

On sale April 18 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US Edited by Joey Cavalieri

Ah, well that sounds like something that will really appeal to Steve Gerber's writing style.

But, I thought DC was saying that there was going to be an all new Dr. Fate?

Why is this Helmet of Fate series even happening if the helmet is just going to end up with Kent Nelson?

Week 40-Big fight issue. The entire issue was devoted to the Luthor plot/ It looks like this is the end of the Luthor plot though, so if it is, I'll be glad. I was getting incredibly bored with that plot. So, this wasn't one of my favourite issues.

The owner of the comic shop told me that as soon as 52 is ended, DC is releasing a new weekly series called Countdown, which will also be 52 issues, springing off the events at the end of 52. OK, now DC is just getting greedy.

I hope Grant Morrison isn't involved in the writing on Countdown. If he's not, I won't buy that series, but if he is one of the writers on that series also, I'm sure I'll give in and collect another series for another year.

If reports are to be believed it'll be written by commitee in the way TV programmes are written, Paul Dini will be the story editor and Sean McKeever is on board as one of the writers.

There's been no-word on the length of Countdown, I believe it's meant to have a sole writer though - Darwyn Cook or Paul Dini, can't remember who to be honest.

The art in the latest issue of 52 is fucking awful.

The people on The V are saying it's going to be written committee-style, I think. And two drafts of 21 pages each week seems like a lot. Then again, some people seem to write about fifty comics a month, so maybe if you cast aside all other work and just do that then it's possible. Clearly I have no idea.

When they first announced 52 as having four writers, I initially thought that one writer was going to write the book each week. First week by Geoff Johns, second by Grant Morrison, third by Greg Rucka, fourth by Mark Waid, like that, so each writer would be writing one issue of 52 each month. I still think that might have been the best way to go about it, but I'm not sure how you'd write the plot in that manner. Would each issue focus on an individual plot, or would the format of the plots still be the same? I'm not sure.

Although maybe it wouldn't be as consistently released each week if it were written this way which would ruin the whole series, as it seems that writers with more time each week pitch in and carry more of the load when they can, I guess if another of the writers is busier and doesn't have as much time to write for that week's issue.

Week 41-Really fun issue. I enjoyed it cover-to-cover. Long time Alan Moore fans will be amused by the final page foreshadowing what is to come with the Adam Stange in space plot.

Week 42-I've been enjoying the Ralph Dibny plot....but man, the wrap-up to that plot was underwhelming! All that, just to lead to this?

It occurred to me several weeks ago that Ralph might have some Gingold in that flask of his, but it never occured to me that Fate's Helm would turn out to be an imposter. I'm not the Detective Ralph was, i guess. So do we think this is the last of his story?

[ Spoiler :

Yeah Ralph tricking both Faust and Neron was pretty cool. But kind of expected sense Neron has always been the Screech of the underworld. He's been tricked by Lobo and everybody else. But the WAY Ralph tricked them and went through the whole process of finding everything out, was pretty damn cool.

]