Week 47-Oh, sweet! The Animal Man in space plot wasn't just rushed through and shoved under the rug. The last time it was featured in an issue was just a prologue of sorts. The plot continues in this issue and it's looking almost as great as I'd hope it would be (not 1980s Morrison Animal Man great, but who expected that?). Another solid issue, overall, from a book I thought was dead.

And yet, nothing really happened at all. I'm interested to see what Buddy's 'upgrades' are. and if the man behind his wife is himself.

Week 48-All very maudlin. An entire issue devoted to the Intergang/Question/Batwoman plot....Yawn.

This book excels when it doesn't have any pretenses about what it is and just does fun little superhero stories. This isn't one of those issues.

Sadly, we got less and less of those stories as this series went on.

Week 49-Another solid issue....seems to be every other issue at this point.

The entire issue is given over to the Island of Mad Scientists plot, and that was probably the strongest plot in the book by this point.

Great Metal Men action.

Just a fun read.

Week 50-So....was that World War III? What was the purpose of having a

separate mini-series if they just stuffed the entire battle into this.

I couldn't tell you, because i took Marks advise and didn't buy it. but i think it probably fleshes out the first 4 days that we see just panels of at the front of the book.

I will say it was good to see some of the Seven Solders in the crowd, even if we never saw them do anything.

I wonder what Adam's new Magic Word is. I'll bet its "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious ", Even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious.

Week 51-Almost over, and I thought this issue was all sorts of great. I especially thought the dire threat to existence (thankfully it's not InterGang or anything to do with Black Adam) was unexpected, in a good way.

"Is Starfire a stripper?" About time someone called attention to the ludicrous outfit she wears!

Rushing to wrap up lots of loose ends this issue.

What will happen with Animal Man from here? It'd be a shame to just see him drop out of the DCU again after spending this time to build him up again.

I wonder if the final issue will be double sized?

Yeah, that was the best issue in ages, and the first major storyline to get a wrap-up which genuinely satisfied me. A couple of potentially-major moments were shortchanged a little due to space constraints (Lobo's final scene, for example), but on the whole, I liked it a lot. The art was unremarkable but passable, which is an improvement on some of the ghastly scrawlings we've been subjected to in recent issues, and there was a decent balance between the various plot strands being covered. Shame they wasted so much of the last two months on the overly drawn-out Black Adam/WW3 plot, really, since a bit more space devoted to the plots dealt with in this issue, and the threads left hanging to be (presumably) resolved next week, could have perked up a moribund few months' worth of comics nicely.

Well they could have easily lost the 2 worthless pages of JLA origin story to give us more Lobo.

Buddy's story was great, of all the characters to be featured in 52 (52 new earths in this mulitverse?) Animal Man is the one I would continue to buy when this is all rapped up. I really liked the way those little cretins were taken out at the front door by Starfire. His kids are funny too. Great family.

The Skeets reveal was good, It was all set up at the beginning of the series, and I failed to even consider that as an option.

I look forward to next issue, and then not buying another weekly book for a long time.

Good grief. Most unexpectedly, after a lacklustre-to-pish couple of months' worth of Act 3, I really enjoyed the final two issues of 52. Not 100% brilliant, inevitably, but good enough to justify at least some of the confidence I had in the book back in the earlier stages. It's been a messy ride, and plenty of things clearly didn't work, but now that it's finished, I think I'm going to look back fondly on it. A worthy experiment, and while not a total success, I'm currently thinking it was at least an interesting and ambitious enough failure to justify the time and money I invested in it.

The fact that the epilogue to the Ralph Dibny storyline is pretty close to exactly what I was hoping for back when the series started is also tremendously pleasing. Also, the spelling error/typo in the final "congratulations to us!" column at the back of the book is, when read in context, inadvertent comedy gold.

Unlike Mark, I thought the last issue was a big load of meh. I also think that at least a third of 52 was a waste of my time and money (too bad Mark and I have a shared comics budget), and I'd like said time and money, and also Charlie back again. I told Mark I'd stop reading if they killed him, and I really, really wish (with the possible exception of issue 51, cause that was ok) that I had. Most of the issues since the New Year's Eve issue (when he at least would've had a cool death scene, instead of one entirely off-screen) - big fat waste of time.

52/52-An amazing ending! Just what I wanted from the end of this series, after 52 weeks.

I agree with Mark that this series wasn't a total success and it does get bogged down quite a bit throughout.

But the last two issues made the whole series well worth reading. #52's story is the sort of story I love seeing in the DCU. There were enough good moments throughout that I'd recommend the series to others, if you're a fan of DC anyway. There's a nice loop with the beginning and end of the series, making for a fun ride. I wonder how the entire series will read when read at once?

I'd say that the only really bad part of 52 was the death of the Question. Besides that, all the negatives ended up being worth it. The boring time spent on Black Adam, the new Batwoman, and Infinity Inc. held the series down, more time could've been used for better plots, but they were resolved in a manner that was satisfactory, and best of all, none of those plots really figured into the ending, so I was able to just forget about them.

And so it ends, with the heavy hand of Grant Morrison on it. I really liked this issue (perhaps Grant should employ 3 or 4 guest writers to help him end all his serials). This new Mega-verse looks fun, We pretty much have all the Pre-Crisis earths back, plus the Wildstorm Universe, the Kingdom Come universe. I'm assuming that "New Earth" is the post-Crisis merged earth we've known since the Mid-80s. I'm a little sorry that the JSA Liberty Files earth didn't get it's own panel, but that would have taken up an entire book if they showed us a glimpse of each new Earth. I can just assume it's out there.

It was nice seeing Ralph and Sue again, but a little disconcerting in that my Dad grew up in Sheffield, AL. It's always weird to see real type places in my comics.

After the last few things DC has done that didn't have an ending at all and just led into the next event, i half expected this issue to lead directly to Countdown. I was pleasantly surprised that it did not.

I'll leave any criticism of the work as a whole until i've re-read the whole thing. As it sits now, DC gets high marks for an experiment that was for the most part a supremely enjoyable read.

Lovely ending, but they totally didn't wrap up the plot with the Sheeda knockoffs, did they?

Also, who is the "new" Wonder Woman and what's with the inverted commas?

It seems like the concensus is that you all loved 52 except for most of it.

Some of the plots, like the new Wonder Woman, were continued in other series. If you really want to know who the new Wonder Woman is, you have to read her series. Luckily, I don't care.

Jay, the problem was that they spent too much time on some of the plots, I felt.

The Question plot was bad. That was the worst aspect of 52.

The Batwoman plot was just stupid.

If they had dropped those two plots, the series would've been better, but I don't think they spent an inordinate amount of space on either plot.

The Lex Luthor plot at least had a cool ending.

The Black Adam plot wasn't awful, it just went on and on, with them trying to sell World War III as a must buy.

Those are just my opinions of what didn't work in 52.

The new Wonder Woman is Donna Troy, but Diana is back as the real Wonder Woman within a few issues of her own series, which Mark and I will be picking up monthly once Gail Simone takes over writing duties. The Jodi Picoult-scripted issues running at the moment are spectacularly aweful, we're reading them in download.

The Question plot was bad. That was the worst aspect of 52.

The Batwoman plot was just stupid.

If they had dropped those two plots, the series would've been better, but I don't think they spent an inordinate amount of space on either plot.

The Lex Luthor plot at least had a cool ending.

The Black Adam plot wasn't awful, it just went on and on, with them trying to sell World War III as a must buy.

Yeah, there was far too much time devoted to the Black Adam plot, but I rather liked the Question arc after Renee took up the mantle. It's a shame that Batwoman only existed to get tied up by the bad guys (and she survived a knife in the heart? WTF?) but those stories were, I thought, fairly bearable.

For me, though, it was the Mad Science Island arc that caught my imagination. I'd like to see that concept revisited in one form or another, particularly if Magnus is involved somehow.

I do wish they'd cut down on the Adam stories and given us a little bit more on the Lady Styx tale. I mean, the climax to that took all of a couple of pages and felt like an afterthought (why the hell were they able to walk back out again without getting cut to pieces? And what did they expect the rest of the fleet to do once their queen was dead?), with the added disappointment of them resurrecting the head baddie a couple of weeks later but leaving that plot thread hanging in the wind. Has it turned up in any of the OYL stories?

For me, though, it was the Mad Science Island arc that caught my imagination. I'd like to see that concept revisited in one form or another, particularly if Magnus is involved somehow.

I want Grant Morrison to write a new ongoing Metal Men series, and I want him to do so right fucking now. They, and the wider mad scientist plot, were easily my favourite bit of 52 - I've recently downloaded every Metal Men story ever (since the absence of a SHOWCASE PRESENTS trade has precluded me from actually paying DC money to read them - nice cross-line marketing, guys), and I'm really enjoying the original Kanigher issues. It's exactly the sort of Silver Age sci-fi lunacy which Morrison excels at.

The way Black Adam's plot came to massively dominate the third act of the series was by far my biggest problem with 52, overall. It wasn't badly handled in itself - somewhere between predictable and hackneyed, perhaps, but there were enough nice touches along the way to redeem that. It just wasn't as interesting as some of the other subplots which were abandoned to make way for it, and certainly wasn't as satisfying as a more balanced mix of several concurrent subplots would have been for those final stages.

I didn't mind most of the Montoya/Question arc - it dragged somewhat in the earlier stages, but came together into something I enjoyed - but I still feel they badly mishandled the death of the Question. The final pages of the New Year's Eve issue felt like an absolutely note-perfect exit for the character, so the fact that they continued for a couple of months afterwards with a repetitive and anti-climactic post-script, before finally killing him off-panel, bugged me.

I would like to see a Metal Men and Animal Man series spin off from 52. Maybe an Adam Strange series also.

I want Morrison to write the Metal Men series.

I worry about the fact that no one has been able to handle Animal Man except Morrison. I doubt Morrison would have time for anymore series, and if he's only going to write one, I'd rather he allow the rediscovery of the Metal Men for a new generation than go back to a character he already rediscovered for a new generation.

God, DC is flinging so many Showcase Presents books at the market right now, I don't think they're stopping to think of any rhyme or reason.

I dunno about Adam Strange - sure, he's an occasionally-interesting character who should probably be used more often, but of the featured characters from 52, there wasn't much about his role in the story which screams "sensational character find of 2006/7!" His entire arc amounted to, essentially, "Is Blind, Flies Through Space, Trapped On Jungle Planet For A While, Flies Through Space A Bit More, Gets Home", with no real twists of characterisation or action to stimulate interest in him. There were other characters whose roles in 52 would be more likely to lead to interesting spin-off stories, to my mind - most notably Doc Magnus and his Metal Men (as discussed already), Ralph & Sue Dibny: Ghost Detectives (which would also be ace, and Mark Waid should write it), Booster Gold & Rip Hunter, Time Police (which has already been announced, more-or-less, and sounds fun enough that I may check it out), and possibly Montoya-as-the-Question.

Obviously, they'd be better off testing the waters with a few miniseries before going straight for new ongoing titles. But I'd be willing to fork out money for any of the above books, provided they were written/illustrated by the right people.

Perhaps an Adventure Comics style book with a half issue devoted to Ghost Detectives and the other to Metal Men for a few issues then switch characters (Question and Animal Man). Or better yet, Bi-weekly with the first issue of the month devoted to the first 2 sets of characters, the second to the latter....