:icon_redface:

Ahem. In my defence, I'd been drinking. But yes, that lacked classiness. We get enough of that nonsense in 'Down The Local', and I'd rather not bring it over here too.

Having only read the first Gotham City trade, I'm not too familiar with Montoya, but she seems to be going through a classic fall-from-grace before (presuambly) a triumphant heroic return (albeit dressed as Lara Croft, for some reason!) style story. That's obviously the overall tone for the three main stories in 52 at the mo, which is just fine by me - nothing revolutionary but I won't grumble about a guaranteed 10 minutes of decent superhero comics a week.

It's early doors but right now I'm hoping 52 gives birth to some kind of ongoing weekly anthology series dedicated to spotlighting minor characters...like Hitman and Ethan Crane!

John's got a great point there, surely things like Seven Soldiers and 52 could change the way and rate of which comics are released to readers?

Sounds good, but at the price of $2.50 an issue, that is a bit steep for a weekly comic. As I mentioned, it is a great idea: weekly comic + characters that do not alway get the spotlight more than grabs my attention. But that big thing about price stops me.

I would like more anthology styled comics. Say a book not unlike DC's Showcase that feature lesser known characters. Instead publish it maybe a few times a year. Kind of like The Escapist by Darkhorse.

Yeah, I'd enjoy that too. But Marvel and DC claims those comics just don't sell, and whenever they try to launch something like that, it's cancelled pretty quickly.

They never put a lot of work or promotion into those books.

Look at what's happened to poor "Legends of the Dark Knight". DC got bored with it and stopped putting known creative teams on the book. It's just there now. And, that's featuring DC's most popular character.

52 and Seven Soldiers are different entities. Obviously, S.S. is Grant Morrison's project and features 7 different mini-series. It's not an anthology series.

And, 52 is promoted with the "Infinite Crisis", so it's going to sale.

Also, quarterly books tend to be forgotten about. When was the last time Marvel or DC actually launched a book as a quarterly?

Something like "Planetary" ended up being a quarterly, but it already had enough word of mouth to keep the book going, the fans were already interested.

I can't see the fans really waiting and wondering when the next installment of "Obscure DC character gets a short story" will be coming out.

Another pretty decent issue. It was Ralph and Question-less, which I held against it, but we had a succession of badass Black Adam moments.

I'm not sure I really care about the Steel subplot, though.

This is the downfall of a weekly comic.

I haven't got into London for ten days or so - and I'm already two issues behind. GAH.

yep. Black Adam is the man. I"m pretty sure i wouldn't be crossing his boarders. I wonder what repercussions will come of his 'show' in New York

Three issues in, and still getting better every week. Quality stuff all-round, that was.

I just hope Lois Lane has a good dry-cleaner. I pity anyone having to get those stains out.

My only microscopic gripe was that there was a scene of Black Adam touching the floor with his feet, rather than creepily floating mere inches above it!

He's better than that!

Actually, I second the not caring about the Steel and daughter subplot, but it's still very much early days.

I just bought the three issues today. It's pretty good, but I'm not all that familiar with the characters, and plus, I don't really want to buy this every week, because of financial problems and because I'm way too lazy to go to the store every week.

Downloading them because I don't have enough room to store 52 issues of the damned thing and because it's obviously not going to be cancelled whether or not I pirate it.

It's pretty good so far. I'm enjoying the little mysteries that have been introduced but I'm not sure how they can keep this going for 52 issues without me losing interest.

Who's writing what? Morrison's obviously writing Booster Gold and I'm guessing that Rucka's handling Montoya. So who's writing Steel, Black Adam and Elongated Man?

If I had to guess, I'd say that Johns is handling the Elongated Man and Steel sections. Not entirely sure about Black Adam, and I know for sure that Morrison is also doing the T.O.Morrow/Metal Men stuff.

I am thinking Johns is handling the Black Adam parts since he has been writing Black Adam in JSA the past few years.

Black Adam has in recent years become one of my favourite characters in the DCU and this issue has just cemented that opinion.

There are very few people powerful enough to take Black Adam down and prevent him from carrying out his self-appointed mission, and as the most powerful of them Superman is not around during the events of 52 it will be interesting to see what happens here.

The Booster Gold segments are great, seems that the ripples caused by the events of Infinte Crisis have screwed up the timeline in untold numbers of ways that are only now becoming revealed. Plus Booster Gold himself is probably fucking the timeline up even further by rescuing people that might have otherwised died.

Lex Luthor really is an outstandingly wonderful bastard. :D

Black Adam has in recent years become one of my favourite characters in the DCU and this issue has just cemented that opinion.

There are very few people powerful enough to take Black Adam down and prevent him from carrying out his self-appointed mission, and as the most powerful of them Superman is not around during the events of 52 it will be interesting to see what happens here.

The Booster Gold segments are great, seems that the ripples caused by the events of Infinte Crisis have screwed up the timeline in untold numbers of ways that are only now becoming revealed. Plus Booster Gold himself is probably fucking the timeline up even further by rescuing people that might have otherwised died.

Lex Luthor really is an outstandingly wonderful bastard. :D

"Lex Luthor, The most brillaint criminal mind the world has seen!" :lol:

Yeah he taps right into that wonderful spot in my heart, that I have reserved just for Miracle Man's Bates.

Adam's such an obvious character, but he still works!

Remember the new council-estate-hoody-Shazam is still out there.

*Cue the "you've been PRIMED!!" picture that someone with alot of free time should make

Anyway, Issue 4 was one big questionmark wasnt' it. I stand by my theory that this Booster is somehow a different Booster than we last saw in Countdown, was it?

I'm not sure what is going on with Steel, but it smacks of Grant Morrison. I wonder if we'll end up with a Bulleteer like Steel when this is all over? Not an Iron Man, but a Man of Iron.

What the hell happened in space, that doesn't make any sense at all, but i'll admit that i had been out at the bars last night before i read that issue, so it's entirely possible that i missed something.

So...are Animal Man and Starfire interacting? :blush:

Why, besides bingo, would Red Tornado scream "52"?

The horror of a space return gone wrong was handled very well, but if I had a penny for every time Red Tornado has gone to pieces.

The series is still going strong.

I know I previously said I didn't want to buy this series, primarily due to price, but I have been swayed. I have officially given in.

After hearing so many good things here, other sites, and from advice from my friend who runs the comic shop I go to, I had to try some issues. I am now caught up. Great stories.

Not sure what is going on with Steel. The whole 'my suit of armor is alive and talking' thing is kind of old to me since it's been done in Iron Man. Or he is just going crazy. But I do like him trying to help the survivors. Since when is John Henry Irons a Doctor? Is he a MD? Or is in engineering, physics, or something?

The Question is creepy and I love it.

Alan Scott lost an eye?!?! And his other eye is not his?!?! Damn.

Then there is good ol' Buddy Baker. He is trapped on a paradise planet with beautiful orange skinned alien and a blind, no eyed Adam Strange. And Buddy takes it all in stride and just worries about his wife tossing his stuff if she thinks he is dead.

As others have mentioned, Lex Luther is an evil S.O.B.

The Dibny/Superman Cult plot is interesting. I just wish there was a more clear idea of where it is going.

I will stick with 52 for a little while longer.

Thus far it's all still far bittier and less coherent than I'd have liked, but that's more or less what I was expecting, and from the few interviews I've read from the editors/creative team, I get the impression that things will start coming together a little more clearly within the next month or two. Besides, with so many of the individual storylines working so well (I'm not digging the seen-it-before, "he's almost a hero but takes it too far" Black Adam stuff too much, and Steel's arc still hasn't really taken off, but the Montoya/Question strand has been great so far, the bits with the mad scientists have been fun, Luthor's evil scheming is always entertaining, and the heroes-in-space story has just taken a massive turn into Mark-pleasing territory with the Buddy Baker scene in the latest issue). I'm still prepared to drop the series as soon as it starts to bore me, but thus far I've been solidly entertained every week since it began, and I can't really ask for much more than that.

The "History Of The DCU" pages are absolute gash, though. Boring, pointless, and blandly-written.