They're still having a bit of trouble making the real-time pacing work, and the whole thing still feels a little choppy at times

Too right. And unless some of these plotlines converge pretty quickly, it's going to get worse - either we'll have two pages for each storyline every week or they'll have to do what they did with the GL/Chinese superheroes issue and drop a handful of plot threads - which means more catching-up to do next time we see those characters.

Plotlines, off the top of my head:

1- The Montoya/Question investigation.

2- Whatever the hell happened with Steel's armour/poisoning.

3- Steel's niece getting arsey (wouldn't complain if they dropped that altogether).

4- Booster fucking up time.

5- Rip Whatsisface going missing.

6- Scientists being kidnapped/pipe bloke's investigation.

7- Black Adam's Axis of Moral Dubiousness.

8- Lex Luthor's super-serum.

9- Victims of the teleport business back on Earth.

10- Adam Strange and pals on the planet of the evil monster whatsit.

Possibly more will be introduced in the latest issue, which I'm downloading like a naughty boy because I don't have the room for 52 fuckin' comics in one year (and it's obviously not going to be cancelled). I'll buy the trades if it has a satisfying ending, though.

Shit! The Rip Hunter plot seemed vitally important and wasn't even touched upon in the current issue.

From the preview of next issue page, it looks like Green Arrow and Blue Beetle are dropping by next issue for plot-threads....

Not a bad issue but nowhere near as good as past issues. I am hoping the the Booster/Broken Time plot is addressed in more detail next week. The art was not good at all and very inconsistent. I did greatly enjoy Ralph verbally ripping into Booster and in front of cameras.

I'm starting to like it less as the focus is pulled away from the core b-listers of Booster/Montoya/Question/Black Adam/Steel/Doc Magnus. Granted this issue was a return to Booster, but last issue's focus on the Green Lanterns didn't do much for me at all.

Not a bad issue but nowhere near as good as past issues. I am hoping the the Booster/Broken Time plot is addressed in more detail next week. The art was not good at all and very inconsistent. I did greatly enjoy Ralph verbally ripping into Booster and in front of cameras.

I felt that part was the best thing about the whole book this week. I was wondering why he didn't mention Ted when he railed against him in the apartment, because i would have. Luckily Ralph had another chance to get it out there.

"Ralph Dibny, human race" was the best line of the issue, and possibly of the series so far. I'm not convinced by "Ralph Dibny, grim stony-faced widower" as a take on the character, but since I assume he'll have cheered up somewhat by the end of this year, I'm prepared to accept it if it's as well-written as this was.

A choppy issue, not helped by some woefully ugly and inconsistent art (check out Montoya's amazing morphing cast - which, incidentally, doesn't even cover her elbow, which is the break she's apparently sporting - and Lois Lane's wandering fringe, just for a start), but the key scenes mostly worked well, and it was nice to finally get a scene providing pay-off for something which was set up in a previous issue. Booster's humiliation was a cracking scene, and came at just the right point in his story. Presumably, we'll get his long, painful climb towards redemption over the next 44 issues or so.

The much-vaunted "LESBIAN BATWOMAN" made her sort-of debut, in a scene which really didn't do much for me. I loved the fact that, in Rucka's Detective Comics and Gotham Central stories, Montoya was treated as a realistic, multi-faceted character, so her reduction here to, essentially, a hacked-together bundle of "alcoholic cop/PI/angsty lesbian" cliches bugged me a little. Get it together, Rucka.

Still, the Kirby Monster on the last page makes me happy (he's called Devilance The Pursuer, he's from The Forever People, and he works/worked for Darkseid). Perhaps this means the New Gods will be showing up soon, or perhaps he's just being used as a random baddie - either way, a nice nod to one of my favourite corners of the DCU.

Not one of the strongest issues so far, but a solid improvement on last week's installment, even with the shonky art.

Mark, a little more on Devilance, please. Do you think he'll be persuing our trio of stranded hero's all the way to earth? What's up with that Fruit, i wonders....

Honestly, there's not a great deal more to tell. He was a tracker/hunter from Apokalips, and hunted the Forever People (a group of young New Gods/space-hippies) for Darkseid. He died at the end of the first run of Forever People, and so far as I can tell, hasn't been seen again since, until now. He was never this huge before, though.

The fruit - note that Starfire was trying to tempt Adam Strange to eat it...hardly an accidental piece of resonance, I suspect. What it does, beyond what we've already seen, I have no idea.

Honestly, there's not a great deal more to tell. He was a tracker/hunter from Apokalips, and hunted the Forever People (a group of young New Gods/space-hippies) for Darkseid. He died at the end of the first run of Forever People, and so far as I can tell, hasn't been seen again since, until now. He was never this huge before, though.

The fruit - note that Starfire was trying to tempt Adam Strange to eat it...hardly an accidental piece of resonance, I suspect. What it does, beyond what we've already seen, I have no idea.

Do you suppose the Zeta Beam accident could have made them all smaller? Perhaps after this latest crisis, the New Gods are all Giants?

I didn't read Infinite Crisis and the only mainstream DC title I'm going to be reading is Morrison's Batman, but 52 is appealing and entertaining to me, not pretentious in the least.

This pretty much sums up why I am reading it.

52, Week 7-OK, this is starting to get bogged down now. Too many plots, all seemingly going in slow motion. It's almost as if the writers are getting bored with a plot or not knowing where to go with it, and they come up with an idea they like better and run with that one instead. All of the reporter dialogue is starting to get annoying. Instead of action and characterization, it seems like 80% of the book is reporters reporting on what's going on.

Do you suppose the Zeta Beam accident could have made them all smaller?

That would be a cracking reveal, as they have no familiar size context to anything.

Low point of the series for me here, both the escape and Steel/Luthor confrontation didn't hit the mark for me.

OMG a NEW Batwoman!!! :rolleyes:

Yeah, this was the worst issue to date, by miles. Only three scenes in the book, and two of them were rubbish - the Steel/Natasha fight was hackneyed and unconvincing, while I have serious difficulty believing that the Renee Montoya of 52 is being handled by the same writer who wrote her so brilliantly in Gotham Central. The Animal Man/Adam Strange/Starfire/Devilance The Pursuer pages were great (it's possible that I'm wrong, but based solely on the way the scene was written, I'd bet money that Morrison was at least primarily responsible for it), but not enough to salvage a thoroughly underwhelming issue.

Yeah, I'm almost positive that Morrison was writing the Adam Strange/Animal Man scenes.

Waid might've been involved in those scenes too.

Definately the only thing I'm caring about with this series anymore.....

What ever happened to the Rip Hunter plot?!

Week 10-This issue was much better!

The Clark Kent scenes were a lot of fun.

The Will Magnus bits (although not enough of them) certainly keep me intrigued.

The book seems to have slowed down and reached a natural pacing.

Next week's issue will mark the end of the History of the DCU feature, so hopefully we'll get an entire issue of story now. Those extra few pages will help.

I think instead of doing full issues after "History" wraps they plan on putting "All New, All Different" origin stories in those pages, like Secret Origin's used to have.

I too liked the Magnus bits, and was really impressed with the Clark Kent bit at the front of the book. I wonder where his power went? Some special kind of Kryptonite? Do you suppose Lois could end up pregnant during this 'non-super' year with her and Clark?

Booster is still an Ass, he's gone from a character i liked to one i dispise all in 10 short weeks. Skeets is acting a little like L-Ron isn't he?

Am i mistaken, or did nothing happen when Adam said "Shazam"? could he be powerless/unable to revert to normal?

I think all these questions we have are touched on in other books actually....

The Shazam thing was briefly touched on in the DCU:Brave New World book.

I didn't really care about that story, so I forgot what happened.

It was just a quick mention to set up the mystery for when Shazam's over comic is relaunched.

Yeah the Shazam thing was odd.

Black Adam can't be powerless though.

Just a few weeks back he was dividing villians.

The Clark scenes were great, although Lois did marry the man and the cape, as was nicely explored in Waid's Duel Identities JLA run.

I want more Superboy prime.

perhaps' Black Adam is stuck 'on' then. though it's not like he ever spent much time as Theo Adam though is it?

I think instead of doing full issues after "History" wraps they plan on putting "All New, All Different" origin stories in those pages, like Secret Origin's used to have.

That's right - as I understand it, most significant DCU characters will be getting a short "ORIGIN OF..." sequence over the remaining 40-odd issues of 52.

I wonder where his power went? Some special kind of Kryptonite? Do you suppose Lois could end up pregnant during this 'non-super' year with her and Clark?

Christ, I hope not. Superman got de-powered when he flew through a red sun in order to defeat Superboy Prime in Infinite Crisis #7, incidentally.

you would think i could remember something as significant as that since it only happened a short time ago, but alas my brain must be full of other nonsense instead.

Regarding the questionable (pardon the pun) characterisation of Montoya in 52. I just read an interview with Greg Rucka over at Comic Book Resources where he states that the writing chores on the individual character arcs aren't divided up between the writers as we'd assumed. It looks to me like they each take a 6 page segment and script that regardless of which character's in it. Which would explain why Reneé's been a little off of late.

It would, at that. In the absence of any evidence to the contrary, then, I'm going to blame Geoff Johns, because he's far and away my least favourite of the 52 writers. Damn him.

Anyway, #10 was a marked improvement on the previous installment. Which is nice.