Sign in to follow this  
lyra

Art School Confidential Clowes new film

Has anyone else see Clowes new film? I guess since it was a very short story they had to add some extra story lines but it really diverged from the heart of the original. I couldn't stand the whole strangler and kevin smith/tarrantino proto-type film student element.

I swear the pompious former art student who revels in being a jerk was based upon my former drawing teacher. He really gave a wonderful explaination for why he behaved like a pompious jackass. He talked about achieving a level of success that allows him to no longer hide his true self but instead to act and speak freely without fear.

The first question for art class usually has to do with attendance the ceramic teacher wrties on the board, "I don't care."

The ramale nude model for the drawing class walking around the class standing in front of the girls was classic.

Yes, the original story is IMPOSSIBLE to make a movie out of and even if they tried, no one would see it except us underground comic fans.

It's a fun little story collected in the "20th Century Eight Ball" book.

I'm not sure how interested I am in the film, actually. What they added to pad out the film seems to take it in a COMPLETELY ridiculous route from the original story.

The Nation gave it a poor review....

The Nation actually mentioned Daniel Clowes and Ghost World and stuff. All the other reviews I've seen in newspapers of A.S.C. never even mention Clowes name, nevermind that he's a graphic novel writer.

Christian and Lyra, since you're both pretty big fans of Daniel Clowes, what did you think of the movie Ghost World and the differences between that and the graphic novel?

Heh. Never even saw the movie!

I'm not a huge fan of the Graphic Novel either, actually. It's a really good read and I enjoyed it, but I found it to be the weakest of Clowes work.

I haven't see Ghost world either. I have all of Clowe's work, as well. To be honest I really only went to see ARt School because i attended one.

They did a great parody of art classes I had just about every single stereo-type they had in the film in my class. You'll find during critiques of art if you say something bad about someones piece they'll turn on you just like in the film. Just keep it all inside.

I do wish they had decided to have the heavy metal guy who paints Borris portraits. That was sorely missing from the film. There really wasn't much they could do though the story is only about 6 or seven pages.

I liked it a lot. I hope to see the movie someday. Yes, the obnoxious "friend" and the pedophile ex-priest. 8-)

read the Art School Confidential script a month or so ago, really enjoyed it. now I'm waiting for the flick!

Ghost World is a pretty fucking excellent flick and I enjoyed it a good bit more than the book, I have to say.

I really, really enjoyed this film. Perhaps the most of any film I've seen in 2006.

Perhaps.