Sign in to follow this  
Tony B.

Uh-oh....

Ladies and gents, presenting Ms Scratch :) She won't be staying too long :biggrin:

Back on the subject, good casting if true I think, although Tom Cruise seemed to be the fan favourite for it...

Depends on what she looks like.

I thought they were going with that guy from Titanic....

This is a better choice. Anyone was a better choice.

I still wanted to see Tom Cruise as I.M. though, especially if Iron Man fought some Zetas....

And call me weird, but for years I've always thought Tony Stark was Hispanic, not Caucasion. It was until last year that I actually found this out. When I revealed it to my friends also (some comic fans, some not), they were as shocked as me, lol. So I can only see Tony Starks being played by an Hispanic actor, or maybe even Oded Ofer...

Balth, I think you're right on it here. Someday I'd like to see an actor with that look who can play a highly intelligent man get the part. Preferably in a movie version of Warren Ellis's 6-issue run.

Well, I can dream anyway.... 8-)

I think Robert Downey Jr. will do fine. I'm actually more interested to see how it will go after hearing this casting.

Robert Downey is an intelligent, witty actor and I will watch him in pretty much most films. As a result, I now have some vague interest in this movie.

What's this about The Mandarin using magic? I thought his rings were retrieved from a crashed starship or some similarly daft '60s plot device.

Yes. They could be considered "magic" though, I guess.

And, for this movie, I'm sure they don't want to go into some obscure continuity plot about how Fin Fang Foom and Mandarin's origins match-up.

Fin Fang Foom (the giant dragon, you know?)'s race (they were aliens) crashed their space ship millenia ago on Earth. Most of the race died.

The race had mentally controlled power rings that controlled their space ships.

Mandarin happened to wander upon the crashed ship (it crashed in China, and the surviving aliens were what the Chinese called "dragons"), and found the power rings. They just happened to fit his fingers and he learned to mentally control them.

Robert Downey is an intelligent, witty actor and I will watch him in pretty much most films. As a result, I now have some vague interest in this movie.

And he's gotten a lot of indy heat lately with excellent performances in KISS KISS BANG BANG (speaking of, Kilmer would make an interesting Stark as well) and A SCANNER DARKLY.

However, I agree that Zane would be another interesting choice, but where's he been. Personally, I really liked his over the top performance in the HBO Tales from the Crypt film, DEMON KNIGHT.

The race had mentally controlled power rings that controlled their space ships.

Mandarin happened to wander upon the crashed ship (it crashed in China, and the surviving aliens were what the Chinese called "dragons"), and found the power rings. They just happened to fit his fingers and he learned to mentally control them.

Power Rings? In the Marvel Universe?

Mandarin=Sinestro?

Mandarin has 8 or 10 power rings. I forget.

They're mentally controlled by Mandarin's force of will, so that's similar to Sinestro.

But, each ring has a special power, and those special powers are all they can do. They're not all powerful rings that can do anything Mandarin dreams up.

For example, there's an ice ring, a fire ring, an acid ring....that sort of thing. When Mandarain concentrates on the ring, it shoots out a blast of ice or fire or whatever.