sethos

The First Look/Reviews Thread

Guest Guest_John_Blazer_*

Yeee...it says good things about the Keanu.

And this coming from a DIE HARD FAN

Sounds promising indeed. If this guy can take the whole holyshot gun thing and still like , then i do think that it bodes well for the movie.

And of course i'm very happy that he thinks that Shia is utterly useless like he was in I ROBOT ( a movie which truly has raped the Asimov world for ever)

Guest Sponge

Sounds promising indeed. If this guy can take the whole holyshot gun thing and still like , then i do think that it bodes well for the movie.

And of course i'm very happy that he thinks that Shia is utterly useless like he was in I ROBOT ( a movie which truly has raped the Asimov world for ever)

Sounds like the studio is desperate, considering the fact that the majority of the reviews that has come out so far has not really been favorable towards the movie and the fact that Keanu is being called the weakest actor in the entire cast. Almost to the point that his co-stars are getting better praise than he is and he’s the lead in the film.

If the studio had more faith in the project, there would have been a real trailer for the movie out right now and a real push to finish it on time. It’s seems to me that the movie is really not finish yet and they are trying to find away to savage it.

Sounds like the studio is desperate, considering the fact that the majority of the reviews that has come out so far has not really been favorable towards the movie and the fact that Keanu is being called the weakest actor in the entire cast. Almost to the point that his co-stars are getting better praise than he is and he’s the lead in the film.

If the studio had more faith in the project, there would have been a real trailer for the movie out right now and a real push to finish it on time. It’s seems to me that the movie is really not finish yet and they are trying to find away to savage it.

If you go back through the threads you may find one where I stated months ago that the film was always to be released on President's Day weekend in Feb. That is what I was told from very high officials last June. They were never ever going to release it sooner. Check your calender and you will see that it is now set for President's weekend. It's a long and very popular movie going weekend and Constantine will own it because nothing else in the genre will be competing. That's not because of fear - it's smart programming and every studio would love to own a weekend all to themselves. You sometimes have to plan a year in advance to own a weekend, it's not some spur of the moment thing. This was the plan from the beginning, believe me.

They have incredible faith in the picture these days and there is no reason to have new trailers running 3 months before release. That's wasteful - unless you're releasing Spiderman 2 -- and reeks of desperation.

Guest Guest

If you go back through the threads you may find one where I stated months ago that the film was always to be released on President's Day weekend in Feb. That is what I was told from very high officials last June. They were never ever going to release it sooner. Check your calender and you will see that it is now set for President's weekend. It's a long and very popular movie going weekend and Constantine will own it because nothing else in the genre will be competing. That's not because of fear - it's smart programming and every studio would love to own a weekend all to themselves. You sometimes have to plan a year in advance to own a weekend, it's not some spur of the moment thing. This was the plan from the beginning, believe me.

They have incredible faith in the picture these days and there is no reason to have new trailers running 3 months before release. That's wasteful - unless you're releasing Spiderman 2 -- and reeks of desperation.

The movie was going to come out this year around September. Then they pushed it to February. Now if that’s not a clue on how the studio thinks, then I don’t know what is. The special effects for this film should have been finish by now and yet almost every review is saying that the movie looks unfinished in that department. On top of that, most of the reviews coming out are calling Keanu’s performance lackluster and his co-stars are getting better notices than he is. I sorry but what is going on now does seem like a snow job to cover up the fact that the studio drop the ball with this movie.

That is what I was told from very high officials last June.

That actually explains a whole lot about the Hollywood system to me.

And Zardoz for that matter.

If you go back through the threads you may find one where I stated months ago that the film was always to be released on President's Day weekend in Feb.  That is what I was told from very high officials last June.  They were never ever going to release it sooner.

So how did they benefit by falsely giving people earlier release dates?

They have incredible faith in the picture these days and there is no reason to have new trailers running 3 months before release.

If they have so much faith, why are they showing people these scruffy, unfinished versions of the film three months before it comes out?

It looks to me like something important was screwed up during the initial planning and creation of the film, and WB is now thrashing away trying to fix what they should have gotten right in the first place before its release date. Yes, the whole thing reeks of desperation.

I have to admit that I know little about the process of making a major motion picture. However, I have seen things messed up in the governmental and corporate realms and don't think organizational screwups are too different from milieu to milieu.

If you go back through the threads you may find one where I stated months ago that the film was always to be released on President's Day weekend in Feb.  That is what I was told from very high officials last June.  They were never ever going to release it sooner.

So how did they benefit by falsely giving people earlier release dates?

They have incredible faith in the picture these days and there is no reason to have new trailers running 3 months before release.

If they have so much faith, why are they showing people these scruffy, unfinished versions of the film three months before it comes out?

It looks to me like something important was screwed up during the initial planning and creation of the film, and WB is now thrashing away trying to fix what they should have gotten right in the first place before its release date. Yes, the whole thing reeks of desperation.

I have to admit that I know little about the process of making a major motion picture. However, I have seen things messed up in the governmental and corporate realms and don't think organizational screwups are too different from milieu to milieu.

How do youi know it was "them" who put out the earlier release dates? Do you believe everything you read on the WWW?

It looks to you? You admit you know little about the process and yet you venture out your opinion as if it were based on something. WB is not thrashing away to fix something that is broken - they are doing what EVERY MAJOR film does - finishing it. Extra filming is actually a line item in every studio picture budget because they know once editing is done and test audiences have spoken, certain things will need to be clarified, enhanced or excised. Not one great film was completed as shot and sent out without any consideration to making it better and that includes Apocolyps Now, The Godfather, Star Wars, 7even, Citisen Kane and any film made by Kurosowa. In fact the one common denomator to most classic films is that none of them were cake walks. They struggled, argued, bitched and fought because no one wanted to make a crappy film. Constantine is no exception.

How do youi know it was "them" who put out the earlier release dates?  Do you believe everything you read on the WWW?

No. I don't believe a lot of what you say.

Not one great film was completed as shot and sent out without any consideration to making it better and that includes Apocolyps Now, The Godfather, Star Wars,  7even, Citisen Kane and any film made by Kurosowa.  In fact the one common denomator to most classic films is that none of them were cake walks.  They struggled, argued, bitched and fought because no one wanted to make a crappy film.  Constantine is no exception.

No matter how good you might think Constantine is, don't you think it's pushing it to call it great? I mean, it has the standard Hollywood kiss-up-to-God-to-avoid-upsetting-the-god-botherers storyline, with the standard Hollywood pseudo-Catholic spirituality (because if they try to make the spirituality look Protestant, the fundies will rip out WB's jugular), a retarded action movie shotgun, an action sequence involving one or more cars, a supernatural/action sequence through a new, characterless LA office building (shades of Die Hard?), standard Hollywood consumerist glitz with an obnoxious cell phone conversation in an SUV, a tittilating and unnecessary romance, an irritating and unnecessary sidekick who will secure the youngest audiences though all the older ones will hate him, the laughable "bucket" method for visiting Hell, and some truly bad lines in some parts of the script. All this, and you can seriously tell us this movie is or will be great? Get real....

Oh, oh, I have to ask, will Constantine have a least one explosion? Explosions are so important for securing the 15-24 year old male below 100 IQ point demographic! Please tell me that there is at least one explosion in the film! 8-)

(because if they try to make the spirituality look Protestant, the fundies will rip out WB's jugular)

Actually - and I hate to do this, but for some reason I can't resist - the Fundies are Protestants.

Um....Constantine was originally meant to come out in October 2004, anyone who claims different is wrong.

Sorry John but the only other date ever mentioned officially was sept 2004. That was a date the studio set in it's initial PR release before the film actually began production. That date was never set in stone and was changed before the filnm even finished principal photography. This is such a stupid discussion, really, because the Hollywood release schedule is constantly in flux every year with every film. Each weekend starts to shape up the closer that date comes - with studio's finishing their films and jockeying for position so its films will garner the most audience share. Why is that so hard to believe?

The fact that the producers and studio picked president's day weekend almost 3/4 of a year before that release date and have stuck to it since should say something about their faith in the film. But if it changes - so what? It would mean they're repositioning themselves for better results. What if Lucas decides to shift Revenge of the Facial Cists to the same day - does WB keep constantine on the same weekend? Would that really be smart?

Of course this film is being scrutinized here because of the fan base but it should be an education in the process, not a condemnation of the film.

How do youi know it was "them" who put out the earlier release dates?  Do you believe everything you read on the WWW?

No. I don't believe a lot of what you say.

Not one great film was completed as shot and sent out without any consideration to making it better and that includes Apocolyps Now, The Godfather, Star Wars,  7even, Citisen Kane and any film made by Kurosowa.  In fact the one common denomator to most classic films is that none of them were cake walks.  They struggled, argued, bitched and fought because no one wanted to make a crappy film.  Constantine is no exception.

No matter how good you might think Constantine is, don't you think it's pushing it to call it great? I mean, it has the standard Hollywood kiss-up-to-God-to-avoid-upsetting-the-god-botherers storyline, with the standard Hollywood pseudo-Catholic spirituality (because if they try to make the spirituality look Protestant, the fundies will rip out WB's jugular), a retarded action movie shotgun, an action sequence involving one or more cars, a supernatural/action sequence through a new, characterless LA office building (shades of Die Hard?), standard Hollywood consumerist glitz with an obnoxious cell phone conversation in an SUV, a tittilating and unnecessary romance, an irritating and unnecessary sidekick who will secure the youngest audiences though all the older ones will hate him, the laughable "bucket" method for visiting Hell, and some truly bad lines in some parts of the script. All this, and you can seriously tell us this movie is or will be great? Get real....

Oh, oh, I have to ask, will Constantine have a least one explosion? Explosions are so important for securing the 15-24 year old male < 100 IQ demographic! Please tell me that there is at least one explosion in the film! 8-)

I'm sorry and I do not mean to be disrespectful, but that is about the lamest excuse for an attack I have ever seen in print. It's about as illinformed as saying a Ferrarri is a piece of shit because it has the same elements as a Yugo - "Let's see, four tires, an engine and a steering wheel... so what's the difference???"

No one said Constantine was "great", (check my post again) but it should not condemned because of a fan's misunderstandig on how the process works.

Um....Constantine was originally meant to come out in October 2004, anyone who claims different is wrong.

Sorry John but the only other date ever mentioned officially was sept 2004. That was a date the studio set in it's initial PR release before the film actually began production.

Yeah, not sure where I pulled October from as a quick glance back shows that the originally touted date was September 17th 2004.

Any word on the European/UK release date ?

Rachel Weisz's character Angela Dodson is introduced in a scene where she is researching John Constantine on the Internet.

Will she be turning up here, then?

...Which was the reason that Midnite had the vendetta against John.

It's a rifle or a shotgun that is meant to kill demons. Seemed too superheroey for my taste. Didn't fit with "Hellblazer", IMO.

They didn't explain what the gun did till it appeared in Hitman, though.

which might explain why I couldn't understand the reference-

I'm sorry and I do not mean to be disrespectful, but that is about the lamest excuse for an attack I have ever seen in print.  It's about as illinformed as saying a Ferrarri is a piece of shit because it has the same elements as a Yugo - "Let's see, four tires, an engine and a steering wheel...  so what's the difference???"

Oi! Don't diss the Yugo! People from former Yugoslavia present! ;)

Everything about this films is shit. The Holy Shotgun, The ability to go to hell while standing in a water bucket. The ena gadda devita scene. I wonder if Keanu reeves actually did any research on the character.. :icon_rolleyes:

Don't get us started on that Wolvy mate!

When it looked like I was going to make the set visit, the one question I wanted to ask Keanu was if he approcahed adapting a comic different to a book, ie did he read (say) Johnny Mneumoic before taking/acting the part.

Yeah I know. It seems like he might or something. But it also feels like he's going to pull a Halle Berri. "This isnt THE John Constantine.. Its his distant 4th cousin who lives in LA..."

I just find it stupid how they made it a action flick. Hellblazer is a Horror book. And the fact that he's not British is taking away from his character. It would be like making James Bond Puerto Rican or something. John being a brit is his character. Its what makes him such a great character..

Yeah I know. It seems like he might or something. But it also feels like he's going to pull a Halle Berri. "This isnt THE John Constantine.. Its his distant 4th cousin who lives in LA..."

I just find it stupid how they made it a action flick. Hellblazer is a Horror book. And the fact that he's not British is taking away from his character. It would be like making James Bond Puerto Rican or something. John being a brit is his character. Its what makes him such a great character..

[/quote

I find it stupid that someone who has not seen the film can put any any kind of label on it. ACTION is the last genre this film could be placed in. And I know it's not a very popular opinion here but you actually demean Constantine when you said his nationality is his character. There's a hell of lot more to the man then his accent and his hate of the Queen. If you don't see anything else than the creators truly failed.

Oh piss off. I'm sick of the constant stream of fucking double talk gushing forth from the pro-Constanteen lobby.

It's always the fans or the creators fault isn't it?

It's not the usual rancid cultural imperialism that Hollywood usually revels in at all is it?

Look, you seem like a nice enough person and that but surely you can see why British people (and fans of the character in general) might get a little irate about this.