Sign in to follow this  
Guest spiderlegs

PREACHER: The HBO Series..?

you've seen that southpark where the parents fire themselves with a big catapult at a tv headquaters because they're showing Terrance and Phillip?

Can people subscribe to just one cable network, or do they have to get it as part of a package deal?

It isn't as cut and dried as The People who Care about Portrayals of Christian Religion Are all Fundamentalists Who Are All Rightwing Republicans. That's sort of stereotyping is really naive. There are plenty of believers who don't love Bush and who hold televangelists in contempt. And I'm sure quite a lot of them watch HBO.

There are many Christians who aren't fundamentalists or conservative Catholics.

Then there are the quasi-fundamentalists who like to have a drink, pick up at the local bar and enjoy hearing themselves swear, but who still can jerk a right knee when things get to close to old, semi-buried religious beliefs, and that's probably true for many lapsed Catholics as well.

And I'm sure a lot of them wouldn't give two shits what a HBO TV series says about god.

In any case, Matt started this off by pointing out the swing in the US towards the Christian right and saying that the predominance of that group would mess up the programme's chances of being made. It was that group that I was speaking about.

you've seen that southpark where the parents fire themselves with a big catapult at a tv headquaters because they're showing Terrance and Phillip?

The publicity alone would far outweigh the cost of spraying down the side of the HBO offices.

Kejoxen, I don't know where you're getting your foreign news, but the U.S. is not a fundamentalist Christian country. A Preacher series on HBO would barley register a blip on the cultural radar. A few people might complain but there's not going to be any Muhammed-cartoon-style riots. Let's not get hysterical over hypothetical situations.

Except that Preacher is creator-owned, so Ennis and Dillon own it. All DC have is an option of first refusal on any movies, TV series etc.

Gah - of course it is. Oops.

all that demographic stuff aside, were missing a big big stumbling point:

it's about a Preacher who has magic powers because he is possesed by the offspring of a demon and an angel, who decides to track down God while being hunted by an all powerful bible cult, at the end God gets killed. 

in the current conservative christian american climate? i dont think so,

Kejoxen, I think you've just made the most important point in this discussion.

I don't really know about this. HBO has a long history of liberal bias in its programming and borders on sheer blasphemy quite often. Granted, Preacher goes a lot further than anything they've put on TV so far but I think its a safe bet that the christian conservatives wouldnt form too large a proportion of HBO's audience.

Of course, there is the possibility that they would want it banned without even watching it. So perhaps.

If it did go on air, though, I think it would appeal to a pretty large demographic. As James said.

But, really, this is a rumour and one thats too good to be true. So it probably isnt. I'm not holding my breath.

Con someone explain how the Christian right would actually get Preacher pulled from HBO, short of actually murdering people?

Con someone explain how the Christian right would actually get Preacher pulled from HBO, short of actually murdering people?

The only thing I can think of is a boycott of actual cable, as in "We won't suscribe to Time Warner Cable unless they no longer offer HBO."

I doubt this would be effective, but it is an option.

The only thing I can think of is a boycott of actual cable, as in "We won't suscribe to Time Warner Cable unless they no longer offer HBO."

Fair enough. As you say, though, I don't think it would necessarily work.

The strategy would be to attack HBO's income sources, and to blacken its reputation with negative public relations if possible.

Just like how Christians got Da Vinci Code pulled from every theater in the world.

The loudest protesters will be the fanboys when they discover that Kim Cattrall will be playing Cassady the Vampire.

The loudest protesters will be the fanboys when they discover that Kim Cattrall will be playing Cassady the Vampire.

*snort*

I'm going to protest pretty loudly when it's revealed that Sarah Jessica Parker will be playing Tulip. God, I hate that woman. SJP, I mean, not Tulip. She's cool. :)

Just like how Christians got Da Vinci Code pulled from every theater in the world.

You mean Catholics, don't you?

If something makes fun of or offends the Catholics, it's okay, because they just don't have the numbers. There's a bunch of stuff out that has referred to them or their religion.

The big empty hole is entertainment media representations of fundamentalists. Outside of Saved!, when do you ever see them? You don't. The reason is two-fold: 1) "the industry" has nothing good to say about them and 2) they are a huge and dangerously reactive group in the eyes of media corporations that is best not stirred up.

So if the Catholics don't like Preacher, who cares? But if the fundies get pissed, it's not cool anymore. And if other Christians join them in being pissed, it's even worse.

i JUST CAN'T SEE anyone BEING ALlOWED TO MAKE A MOVIE WITH (A) tHE saiNT OF KILLERS PRESENT EVEN AS A joke CONCEPT.

(OPPS, CAPSLOCK ) and (b) Said Saint shooting God, and maxxing out in Gods " Throne".

though it would make all other manias and excitements of things said and done in movies seem like passing indispositons.

Can you imagine the religos screams at god getting drilled between the eyes?.

Guest spiderlegs

It's the perfect vehicle for a cult audience and a low budget. Most of your budget would be stunts, right? Not too too many outlandish effects, but one here and there. If you aimed for a syndication type, late night audience, it could work (like the CROW tv series was aimed or Forever Knight, but obviously done with much better production.

it would be the perfect vehicle for TRANSMET, too. A 12 episode season, you do 6 episodes from memorable issues then kick into the campaign, cliffhanger with Vita's murder , start the second season with the election, and make the second season go to bringing down the Smiler, Spider's I-pollen sickness, and then end it, don't milk it. Have a finite run of 24 episodes. You could do the same for PREACHER, or use a similar formula. With a finite run, though, you'll have a definite expense cap that will be easier to sell to the money folks.

it would be the perfect vehicle for TRANSMET, too. A 12 episode season, you do 6 episodes from memorable issues then kick into the campaign, cliffhanger with Vita's murder , start the second season with the election, and make the second season go to bringing down the Smiler, Spider's I-pollen sickness, and then end it, don't milk it.

Transmet would have been far better if Warren Ellis had followed this advice.

it would make all other manias and excitements of things said and done in movies seem like passing indispositons.

I honestly don't think there would be the hypothetical outcry you all are wishing for. Preacher would be just another horror/fantasy show that wouldn't make enough of an impact on the culture at large to warrant the notice of any special interest groups.

Perhaps Preacher was shocking and hard-core for a comic book but frankly when you look at it in the context of everything else that's out there, it's a bit juvenile really.

it would make all other manias and excitements of things said and done in movies seem like passing indispositons.

I honestly don't think there would be the hypothetical outcry you all are wishing for.

I think I"m safe in saying that every one of us would like to see the religious-nut pressure groups not attack HBO for making a Preacher that's faithful to Ennis's original concept.

EDIT - Unless they had a noisy but ineffectual protest that would get publicity for the show that money couldn't buy. 8-)

It's the perfect vehicle for a cult audience and a low budget. Most of your budget would be stunts, right? Not too too many outlandish effects, but one here and there. If you aimed for a syndication type, late night audience, it could work (like the CROW tv series was aimed or Forever Knight, but obviously done with much better production.

I have to disagree with that, at least if they did a straight translation of the story. I mean, the first arc has thirteen - no, fourteen - cops getting shot to bits before being blown up (remember that you have to pay every extra the speaks a little more), plus the diner massacre, the scenes in Heaven, Arseface, the explosion at Annville, a handful of gory gunshot wounds and Cassidy driving a truck up the Saint's arse.

That's followed by lots of tricky makeup work for the serial killer arc and more explosions in Angelville. Then things get ramped up even more with the Grail, which would require loads of extras for the black ops restaurant assault, location shooting for Masada, even more extras for the Saint's attack on the Grail, prosthetics for the Anti-Pope and the 'messiah', helicopters, fighter jets, more explosions and another angel.

Then there's War in the Sun and all of the shooting in Alamo...