JohnMcMahon

Brian Azzarello's Nigger

Coming soon, from Vertigo, maybe ?

Seriously, the boy throws the infamous 'N word' around the pages of Loveless like he's auditioning for the roll of "The Pale One" in G-Unit.

Combine that with the ramping of his usual writing...tics turned up to 11 and you have a cowboy tale that really doesn't read that well at all.

It was notable how badly black people came off in the first two monthly issues of Loveless. In part the book seemed to characterize them as a bunch of remorseless rapists who were only somewhat human.

The art certainly wasn't flattering in that regard, there's a panel where some white chap is leading a troop of black blue-coats and they're drawn to almost resemble a pack of hyenas.

Straying into spoiler territory, what the bloody hell was going on in the third issue - the flashback stuff got all jumbled up for me to the point of confusion.

Frustratingly enough mind, the last page reveal did kind of grab me.

WARNING SPOILERS MAY FLY LIKE YANKEE BULLETS!

I've been picking this up, since two months back, and I'm seriously into it.

Azzarello's unsubtle (is he ever?) anti PC slant on the black soldiers, which hopefully will become a bit more balanced, makes a lot of sense.

They're soldiers and by fuck would they have alot more resentment in them.

Obviously, there were scum bags on each side, plus the series is very much from a Southern perspective, with Southern fears coming to life.

Furthermore, Azzarello seems to like his regular trick of misleading sexuality, Ie Ruth being a guy for a while and her dominance in the sack.

She even tells Wes to roll over!

But it's working so far.

Ruth meeting her rapist was pretty tough stuff.

John your last page reveal, was from #5 though?

If so, I was concerned that that reveal would lead us into overfamiliar territory.

Up until then, I really had no idea where it was going at all.

I'm mostly liking his seamless past/present scenes.

I still feel like they could bea little more subtle and further developed.

It's a method that works well in the comic meduim.

If Azzarello can pull out the stops and flesh out the caricatures, the series has great potential.

He sure spoiled that film of his.

And just in case he hadn't: Juliette Lewis singing "Danny Boy" nailed the coffin shut.

He sure spoiled that film of his.

And just in case he hadn't: Juliette Lewis singing "Danny Boy" nailed the coffin shut.

Naked?

Otherwise ouch...

Actually ouch for both.

At least Cassel rocked?

The sight of Juliette Lewis's minge floating towards me through the water was more scary than Jaws (for the same reasons)