Selkie

Recommend a Superman comic

I hate Superman. I have always hated Superman. I suspect I will always hate Superman. If you want to understand why I hate Superman, head over to post 38 on this excellent older thread. Here's your chance to sway my opinion. Recommend a Superman TPB or one-shot that's likely to change my mind.

I've read Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? Didn't work. Read the Metropolis Elseworlds. Didn't work. Loved and adored Lex Luthor: Man of Steel and It's a Bird, but of course those aren't really Superman stories.

Go ahead. Surprise me. With the movie coming out, I'm actually willing to try something, and besides, I know that anyone in my circle who sees the movie and likes it will be coming to me for a recommendation. At this point, my recommendation would be Lex Luthor, and, as much fun as that would be, I don't think that will do.

All-Star Superman, by Morrison/Quitely. Any or all of the three issues released so far should do the trick, cos they've all been phenomenal. One of the best comics of the last year, in any genre.

I'd go so far as to say that, if this book doesn't do anything for you, you're never going to enjoy Superman, ever.

Can't really say anymore than Mark already has. I'm enjoying the heck out of All Star Superman but if upon reading it you find that it does nothing for you then there is nothing else to recommend that will sway you I think.

Oh gods, you mean I'm faced with paying actual money for not just a Superman comic, but a Superman comic drawn by .... QUITELY?! :o Someone pinch me and make the nightmare go away. It's a good thing I trust you guys.

Loved and adored Lex Luthor: Man of Steel

That's one quality series, anyone reading this thread who hasn't picked it up really should give the trade a gander - gorgeous Bermejo art and a perfectly nasty Luthor story, Lex's plan in this one is a beauty to behold.

As for Superman, All-Star, yes.

Oh gods, you mean I'm faced with paying actual money for not just a Superman comic, but a Superman comic drawn by .... QUITELY?! :o Someone pinch me and make the nightmare go away. It's a good thing I trust you guys.

Sometime between New X-Men and this, he seems to have figured out how to draw people with heads which aren't crafted from the finest potatoes. Which marks a serious improvement in his (already-excellent) art, to my eyes.

OK, that sounds like an improvement, but I have to ask: do his people still look like they've been pumped full of helium?

Ignore Azzarello's joint with Jim Lee.

I'm suprised "Whatever Happened..." didn't work for you. Try For The Man Who has Everything, also by Alan Moore.

Check out that one issue of Hitman with Superman in it.

Failing that, like Mark says, try All Star Superman. If that doesn't work then you and Supes just ain't meant to be together.

I'm in a similar boat to you, I don't love Supes. Depending on the book or story line, I can tolerate him.

I find Superman worked best with Batman. I like them in the old World's Finest books. The Alan Moore story recommended above is very much in the World's Finest vein.

I can't recommend any TPBs (mostly because I have no clue what's available) but I do suggest trying Superman in small doses, tempered with a character you like.

That's one quality series, anyone reading this thread who hasn't picked it up really should give the trade a gander - gorgeous Bermejo art and a perfectly nasty Luthor story, Lex's plan in this one is a beauty to behold.

That TPB was a very pleasant surprise for me, especially because (a) I'm not nearly as impressed with Azzarello as seemingly every other Vertigo reader is, and (b) well, the whole Superman thing, not to mention © my only real exposure to the character being the lingering trauma of Gene Hackman as a camp Lex. Turned out to be one of the most exciting things I've read in a good long while. The story is a model of everything I like to see in a tale about a supremely well-crafted villain. The fact that it's just gorgeous to look at (oh, those Dave Stewart colors! in addition to the lovely Bermejo art of course) doesn't hurt.

<snip> but I do suggest trying Superman in small doses, tempered with a character you like.

Had to chuckle at you, of all posters recommending that approach, in light of the fact that I really enjoyed the Veitch Question miniseries, which does in fact contain a "small dose" of Superman. Any excuse to re-read that series is worthwhile in my book.

I'm not nearly as impressed with Azzarello as seemingly every other Vertigo reader is

He's a one-trick pony, that that one-trick is 100 Bullets does stand him in good stead though. Something about his style blends perfectly with the character of Lex Luthor - he's rumoured to be working on some sort of sequel with Bermejo on art again.

You can read the issue of Hitman wherein Superman guest-stars here, it really is quite splendid.

You can read the issue of Hitman wherein Superman guest-stars here, it really is quite splendid.

Just read it again. It's been a few years since I read it last I reckon and I love it every bit as much now as I did when I originally turned that first page to read it.

"For the man who has everything" is one of the best comics I've ever read. Period.

What he said.

I know it's an odd one, but Mark Miller's Red Son (or is it Red Sun?).

An elseworlds tale, where Superman's roket crash lands in Communist Russia instead.

But importantly, thats not all that has changed.

He is thusly raised and soon becomes Commisar.

Grant Morrison supplied the ending too.

I know it has flaws, But I still love it.

Red Son's Lex may please you.

Plus Superman vs Batmanikoff!

I liked Batman's OTT Bruce Wayne performance in Lex Luthor:Man of Steel.

I still think that Frank Miller did almost as much with Superman, in Dark Knight Returns as he did with the Batman.

I know it's an odd one, but Mark Miller's Red Son

I cried. Twice.

1). Bizarro?

2).Batmanikoff?

Lex Luthor drops the Man of a Steel, with a sentence.

(It's a bit too much, but it's still fantastic stuff!).

SPOILER

The part where Supes saves the Daily Planet ("Hundreds of years from now, someone will write a different version of today, where Lois and I fall in love") and the last four pages.

Those parts.

That TPB was a very pleasant surprise for me, especially because (a) I'm not nearly as impressed with Azzarello as seemingly every other Vertigo reader is, and (b) well, the whole Superman thing, not to mention © my only real exposure to the character being the lingering trauma of Gene Hackman as a camp Lex. Turned out to be one of the most exciting things I've read in a good long while. The story is a model of everything I like to see in a tale about a supremely well-crafted villain. The fact that it's just gorgeous to look at (oh, those Dave Stewart colors! in addition to the lovely Bermejo art of course) doesn't hurt.

<snip> but I do suggest trying Superman in small doses, tempered with a character you like.

Had to chuckle at you, of all posters recommending that approach, in light of the fact that I really enjoyed the Veitch Question miniseries, which does in fact contain a "small dose" of Superman. Any excuse to re-read that series is worthwhile in my book.

You know I feel the same way as you about Superman, Selkie.

I have enjoyed a few Superman stories over the years....but not many!

I also have real problems with Brian Azzarello, but I may not be a Vertigo reader....Are they the people who only read Vertigo comics?

Anyway, All-Star Superman....Frank Quitely....I know it all sounds quite bad.....BUT, remember, it's also written by GRANT MORRISON!

I am a Grant Morrison reader....but, not because I only read things by Grant Morrison.....

When did the presence of Frank Quitely become a warning sign, rather than a shining recommendation, and a guarantee of superb art (albeit produced at a painfully slow rate)? Did I miss a memo?

When did the presence of Frank Quitely become a warning sign, rather than a shining recommendation, and a guarantee of superb art (albeit produced at a painfully slow rate)? Did I miss a memo?

indeed!

It's not the style of art I enjoy.

There's just something....bothersome....about his style.

Granted, I don't read comics based on art, so it's not as if Quitely's art is a reason for me not to buy a comic.

I've never been a big fan of Superman, and generally always thought he was really lame. But Mark showed me All-Star Superman and convinced me to read it, and I was sold before I'd finished the first issue. It's just got better and better, with issues 2 and 3 being absolutely wonderful.

And Quitely's art is stunning. It's so well done, and there are tons of beautiful details that I didn't even notice until rereading the issues.

Thanks so very much for posting that. It's exactly the type of comic story that I love to read. Plus I've never read any Hitman before, so it is nice to get a sense of what everybody is talking about.