Selkie

Recommend a Superman comic

When did the presence of Frank Quitely become a warning sign, rather than a shining recommendation, and a guarantee of superb art (albeit produced at a painfully slow rate)? Did I miss a memo?

Actually, I (and several of my acquaintances not on this board) am the one who missed the first memo that said I was supposed to like his art - and yes, we recognize that we're in the minority. To say that I don't like it is quite the understatement. I recognize his superb technical skills, particularly in matters of perspective (it's not like I think he's Rob Liefeld or anything), but I think his style is ugly as sin. I appreciate that choice in, say, 20/20 Visions or Transmet, but not for much else. I found his Authority work almost impossible to look at, and have steadfastly avoided it ever since. I "get" that he's mocking the physiques usually rendered in superhero comics, but how exactly that's a selling point to readers of superhero comics eludes me.

However, given the stellar and almost universal praise of All-Star Superman I'm reading here, I'll give it a try. I may very well feel the need to wash myself afterward, but next time I'm near a comic shop (this weekend, if all goes as planned) I'll pick up an issue and see.

Would someone here give me the highest level summary of For the Man Who Has Everything? It sounds terribly familiar, like something I may have read, but nothing's coming to mind.

SELKIE:

I've read Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? Didn't work.

That didn't work for me either. It's overrated IMHO. (Braces self for attack.)

Wasn't as impressed by All-Star Superman as t'others, either. Loved the art though.

I liked Jerry Ordway's run on the character, just after Crisis. Worth it just for the art — he's the best Superman artist ever — and his writing was good superhero fare.

Would someone here give me the highest level summary of For the Man Who Has Everything? It sounds terribly familiar, like something I may have read, but nothing's coming to mind.

It's Superman's birthday, so Batman & Robin head up to the Fortress of Solitude to give him a present. However, Mongul has beaten them to it, and given Superman a present of his own...

It was adapted into an episode of Justice League Unlimited, albeit not entirely successfully.

Plus I've never read any Hitman before, so it is nice to get a sense of what everybody is talking about.

Hand on heart, Hitman is one of the all time great comic series., that DC (1) never managed to get the whole lot into trades and (2) keep what trades there were in print is just not bloody right.

There was a second print of the first trade, but that's it. There are still only 32 more issues left untraded. More than half the series. Dirty shame.

I hate Superman. I have always hated Superman. I suspect I will always hate Superman. If you want to understand why I hate Superman, head over to post 38 on this excellent older thread. Here's your chance to sway my opinion. Recommend a Superman TPB or one-shot that's likely to change my mind.

I've read Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? Didn't work. Read the Metropolis Elseworlds. Didn't work. Loved and adored Lex Luthor: Man of Steel and It's a Bird, but of course those aren't really Superman stories.

Go ahead. Surprise me. With the movie coming out, I'm actually willing to try something, and besides, I know that anyone in my circle who sees the movie and likes it will be coming to me for a recommendation. At this point, my recommendation would be Lex Luthor, and, as much fun as that would be, I don't think that will do.

I like you hate superman with a vengance (whats the fucking point!) so im glad someone here actually dosen't like him too. I mean i dont just not like him, i fucking hate him, though thats my opinion and it dosen't mean hes shit i just personally cant stand him. I have always wanted to say that but too many people love him on this board.

As for the film, i saw the tailer yesterday, it looked camp as fuck camper than the original batman serise! I read alot of comics and see most of the movies, but i will admit seeing that it sorta made me feel ashamed, and i dont even fucking read superman.

I hate Superman. I have always hated Superman. I suspect I will always hate Superman. If you want to understand why I hate Superman, head over to post 38 on this excellent older thread. Here's your chance to sway my opinion. Recommend a Superman TPB or one-shot that's likely to change my mind.

I've read Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? Didn't work. Read the Metropolis Elseworlds. Didn't work. Loved and adored Lex Luthor: Man of Steel and It's a Bird, but of course those aren't really Superman stories.

Go ahead. Surprise me. With the movie coming out, I'm actually willing to try something, and besides, I know that anyone in my circle who sees the movie and likes it will be coming to me for a recommendation. At this point, my recommendation would be Lex Luthor, and, as much fun as that would be, I don't think that will do.

I like you hate superman with a vengance (whats the fucking point!) so im glad someone here actually dosen't like him too. I mean i dont just not like him, i fucking hate him, though thats my opinion and it dosen't mean hes shit i just personally cant stand him. I have always wanted to say that but too many people love him on this board.

As for the film, i saw the tailer yesterday, it looked camp as fuck camper than the original batman serise! I read alot of comics and see most of the movies, but i will admit seeing that it sorta made me feel ashamed, and i dont even fucking read superman.

In all of that, Mick you've left out why.

Go on my son! Explain.

I've said often, that it usually comes down to the writer of the character, not the character themselves.

Like Ennis on The Punisher for example (except for Swamp Thing now :happy: ).

I was back onboard Superman, because of Morrisson's JLA and perversily Red Son.

The first film and All Star Supes really capture the sense of Superman awe.

I'm no great Singer fan, but the film does appears to contain very little by the way of campness.

That's a bit weird - "ashamed"? Why? I'm genuinely confused here.

Hand on heart, Hitman is one of the all time great comic series., that DC (1) never managed to get the whole lot into trades and (2) keep what trades there were in print is just not bloody right.

TRUTH. It's the best thing Ennis has ever written, by miles - the fact that I can walk into a comic shop and pick up a trade of, say, Preacher: Salvation, or some of his godawful Judge Dredd stuff, and not be able to get Father's Day, For Tomorrow, or Closing Time is a crime against taste.

In all of that, Mick you've left out why.

Go on my son! Explain.

Because whats the point character that can do anything, it just seems so irrelevent, i think just super-man on a whole, the person, just you know everything about him.

As for why i was ashamed, i wasn sat with my girlfreind and shes always been sceptical of comics thinking there childish and shit, but the recent films that have had depth, and the exsistance of punisher and hellblazer comics just set her straight, then we saw that trailer and i was like ' yeah but some stuff is just plain garbage!'.

You know what i dont want to comment i already feel bad fior slagging a character much loved by you all, like i said my opinion is just that, an opinion. For all i know the comic could be good now, but i loath the character, its been a long time since i read superman and that film looks as though its taking it back to the early days. And spider-mans costume some how worked on film they did a damn good job on that, supermans well looks very YMCA. Again sorry, this whole post is kinda harsh.

No need to apologize for not liking the character - hell, I'm not going to apologize for my contempt for Gambit, so it swings both ways. I certainly don't think you're being too harsh - I don't agree with you, but I can see where you're coming from. It's an opinion which I've heard from a fair few people, and it's a fair one, although not one I share (for me, the idea of Superman is fine - unfortunately, he's not been so well-served by writers over the years, so there's a surfeit of truly classic Superman stories compared with, say, Batman ones).

The costume in the new film is absolutely shit, though, I completely agree.

Because whats the point character that can do anything, it just seems so irrelevent, i think just super-man on a whole, the person, just you know everything about him.

The pressures of being able to do practically anything, that's what.

Have, you heard that Waiting for Superman song by the Flaming Lips?

It may not actually be the case, but the reviews of the new Superman film, will be positive.

I've got a friend who does reviews and, as per usual, they've all been told to like it.

My point is that socialogically, Superman will be and is hot.

He's the new black.

Liking Superman or reading comics will not be frowned upon by the Media because of the upcoming movie.

No need to be embarrased then!

Oh and for some of the best Superman stories, one would have to read Alan Moore's two Supreme trades.

It's not legally, Superman, but it's obvious enough.

Staggering in drunk, as I am now, I wasn't prepared for the sight of the three All-Star Superman issues wrapped up in an elastic band with a note reading - "MORE OF THIS - NOW".

MICK:

And spider-mans costume some how worked on film they did a damn good job on that, supermans well looks very YMCA.

Yeah. Spider-Man had a good reason for wearing that thing — he started out as a wrestler, plus it's similar to what first-world Olympic athletes are wearing these days. But in 2006 it's hard to understand why Superman would choose to wear a skin-tight bright blue leotard, with red dickstickers on the outside, and a red cape. And a little yellow belt. To my mind, it requires greater suspension of disbelief than his super-powers.

To quote one of the Madagascar penguins, "That ain't gonna fly."

If you update the 1938 costume, though, you lose much of the character. Comic books: the preferred medium of arrested development.

Oh god....That would be an awesome plot in a Superman comic.

(Random people in the street watch Superman fly over)

Observer 1:"Why the hell is Superman still wearing that costume? It was cute when he first started out his career....but he's still wearing it."

Observer 2:"Yeah, it creeps me out too. But, he's an alien....you know?"

Observer 3:"snicker. Yeah. That's what's so funny about it! He has no idea what an idiot he looks like flying around in that thing!"

And another thing: he's been away travelling for several years, with one set of clothes? Pee-yew.

And another thing: he's been away travelling for several years, with one set of clothes? Pee-yew.

But our sun's yellow rays give the last son of Krypton Super-Hygiene.

Yeah! How exactly does Superman feel about the stench of Lois' humanity?

"Lois dear, could you go take another shower. You're really smelling."

"What the fuck, Clark? I just took eight showers today! My skin is starting to crack!"

"Super smelling, dear. Super smelling."

"Well you never fucking bathe!"

"Super hygiene, dear. Super hygiene."

"Clark, I want a divorce!"

"Sorry, Lois. Super morals."