Sign in to follow this  
Kejoxen

Biff, Pow, Wallop, comics arn't just for kids

That's an appalling bit of writing on every level, and I can't believe someone got paid for it. Fuck off, BBC.

This reads as if the writer has not been exposed directly to comics since childhood, if at all. And what little knowledge of comics is presented is very much highlight's from some research assistant's notepad.

It is kind like a financial reporter trying to do a write up on a soccer match.

I love the idea that "Spider-Man beset by personal problems" and "the X-Men...a parable of scientific oppression of minorities" are somehow new developments, as opposed to, say, the core fucking principles on which the characters have been written ever since their respective first appearances.

"These novels, pioneered by Will Eisner, have gone much further in their attempts to explore more difficult issues like the politics of immigration, race, sex, and authoritarianism. "

"The novels, with their parallels with movie storyboards, are popular choices for conversion by Hollywood: Alan Moore's V for Vendetta being a recent example. "

Yep. Just like Shia TheBeef said. These comics are actually in a graphic novel, so it's a novel and it's more complex and, like, stuff.

This article is crap, by the way.

I love the idea that "Spider-Man beset by personal problems" and "the X-Men...a parable of scientific oppression of minorities" are somehow new developments, as opposed to, say, the core fucking principles on which the characters have been written ever since their respective first appearances.

Just what i was thinking, and Kejoxen, you thaught better of the BBC, Ha, Its ther fucking BBC, Thats just the kind of shit i expect from them.

"These novels, pioneered by Will Eisner, have gone much further in their attempts to explore more difficult issues like the politics of immigration, race, sex, and authoritarianism. "

"The novels, with their parallels with movie storyboards, are popular choices for conversion by Hollywood: Alan Moore's V for Vendetta being a recent example. "

Yep. Just like Shia TheBeef said. These comics are actually in a graphic novel, so it's a novel and it's more complex and, like, stuff.

This article is crap, by the way.

Even the grammar is atrocious. It would seem like they could at least get coherent, qualified writers to churn out these essays with no research behind them, you know, so they might actually fool the readers into thinking they have some idea what they're blathering about.

I took the time to read some of the readers' reactions.

Heroes with 'problems' mirror the characters in the popular soaps. I therefore suspect it is a way for typically insecure (though undeniably gifted) media people to project their personal problems on the rest of us while also evading the increasingly difficult task of originating new dramatic plotlines by focussing on emotional hang-ups. The aforementioned gifts notwithstanding, this is much easier if you, the writer, suffer from the same kind of disturbances and are even more stressed out by encroaching deadlines. But in this way, unhappily, both popular soaps and action-hero movies have steadily down-spiralled from the good old comic-book narratives of the 1950s and early 60s, when I was a lad.

Alan O'Reilly N. Yorks

Heroes in the 1940s were simplistic, but with noble and self-sacrificing personalities. In the 1960s they were neurotic and self-doubting. By 2000 they had become thugs, killing foes they regard as subhuman. You can tell a lot about a society by who it regards as a hero.

Richard Hough, Vancouver, Canada

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This reader has some valid observations, but I must wonder when Superman was ever a leftist radical?!?!

And, no, Denny O'Neil wasn't the first....

Superman did not start out as a patriot, but a Depression-era leftist radical vigilante. Spider-Man has struggled with personal problems and existential angst since he was first introduced back in the early sixties. Super-heroe stories in general have been making a serious push towards complexity and social-consciousness since the 70s being spear-headed by writer Dennis O'Neal at DC Comics. Batwoman is not even the first gay super-hero. She's just the first one to be associated with a character that the non-comic-reading community can recognize.

Jacob R, El Sobrante, CA

This reader has some valid observations, but I must wonder when Superman was ever a leftist radical?!?!

You could possibly construe him to be just that by reading the first dozen or so Action Comics issues (get scans or buy the Superman Chronicles/Archives). He does things such as forcing a mining bigwig and his high-society friends to dig themselves out of a collapsed mine as well as singlehandedly destroying a crappy housing project/shantytown in order for its citizens to recieve government aide.

Just how crappily written it is aside, whats WRONG with the comics medium evolving???? What the fuck's he complaining about??

It read like it had been hurriedly slapped together from different web pages. A lot of what it contained was trite, cliched stuff we've been hearing about the medium for years now.

The readers' comments were often more intelligent than the article.

Shock, horror, outrage, juvenile!

Mock indignation is always amusing to read but rather sad when you realise it is not written as a joke...

That's some purely awful writing right there.

Check out bbc ulster where someone (who may, or may not be me)pulls the resident christian blogger for his slamming of the Da Vinci Code's enemies as "Comic-book" like, and he publishes his meal mouthed apology the next day