Tony B.

What is best in life?

I am. They're still really good, even compared with the Thomas/BWS comics, or even the actual Howard stories.

But the movie wins.

I have decided that if the internet in it's current capacity existed in the early 80's, I would have been the Hagren of the Conan the Barbarian Straight to Hyperboria Forum. I love the Marvel Conan, the OG Howard books, and the new Dark Horse series, but the first movie is still the greatest thing ever to me. I'm sure at the time there were nerds in an uproar over the casting and plot of the movie, similar to the brouhaha over Constanteen. I mean come on, they cast a brown-haired Austrian to play the dark mysterious Cimmerian. And gave Conan (the ultimate loner) a sidekick (it's ok because he's totally badass pro-surfer Gerry Lopez). Anyway, I would've stood up for the movie to no end. For me, it's perfect. The music (Basil Poledouris is God), the costumes, the battles, the James Earl Jones as the main villian, the humor... everything is perfect. I just felt the need to express this, partly to show my love for the awesome power of Dino D, and partly to show that I can commiserate somewhat with people that like or even prefer the movie version over the comic version.

Well, on the one hand, with casting, Howard described Conan as moving like a panther and Barry Windsor-Smith's Conan was drawn looking quite a bit (almost) cat-like (in some ways); but on the other hand, if a movie is great and actor can act passably well for the part, I don't care about casting.

As far as side-kicks, perhaps more back-story was needed in the movie. In the Marvel Comic, Conan found himself "teaming up" with certain supporting characters throughout the series. So, it's not a totally unheard of concept that the movie materialized from blank cloth.

But, still....the movie sucked!

I love Robert E. Howard's Conan stories.

I love Roy Thomas' Marvel Conan series even more! (see? I can offend the cult of Howard just as readily!)

But, for whatever reason, I've never been able to enjoy anything Conan after the 1970s. Roy Thomas left Marvel's Conan and the series was never the same. It just kept getting worse, in fact. The fucking "Young Conan" stories were unreadable!

I always thought the movies were cheap. Perhaps because Conan worked best when it was in my head, not on the screen, where it looked too raw.

Even Dark Horses' new Conan series lost my interest immediately. It bored me. It wasn't the same Conan as the one I fell in love with in Howard's stories or the Marvel series during the 1970s.

Like Hyperborea itself, Conan is something best left to the past, for my tastes.

TeleCrom, I have never prayed to you before, but if you do not give me high-speed internet, then to Hell with you!

Some day, I shall destroy you for this.

I dont quite understand this thread, but i have to say that i dont know why im the lone voice pro-Constantine today, when im not the only one here liking it.

Plus why im the "Mr-Who-likes-Constanteen-guy" (You know, Red the communist, Mick the gramatically incorrect, Pooka the ladee etc and Hagren the lad who posesses a Constantine poster and likes it)- That is not what i am, only a fofing opinion on one fofin film, and what i feel or think cant be undone even by myself.

Plus i dont think that im bad tasted or unreasonable etc or, am i?

But i buried this topic some time ago, it is how it is, no need for fighting.

Anyway, thats only a side note on your comment, i dont know much bout Conan.

Only that with Schwartzi it must be hilarious.

I wasn't trying to insult you at all, Ren. I was just saying that I've read some of your support and defense of the movie, and I loved how you didn't give up or change your mind due to constant badgering.

Oh no, it wasnt about you :)

Its just the reputation i have around here, sometimes i feel a bit dumb, as i would be forced into a negatively labeled box.

But i dont want to break any quarrel of the fence, its done, they couldnt prove me otherwise (Though they could in other cases, because i want to learn) and i couldnt them (if they tried, i dont know).

And because i bare in mind that will never change, i dont speak bout it anymore.

Its just one of the thousand shades of things i do around here.

But yes, i wouldnt give up my troughthought opinion just for being "in"-

Sometimes its matching, sometimes it doesnt, what can i or them do.

We all have our reasons, we cant help our impressions.

Just how things are always.

I respect that, even if i cant understand everything always.

Everyone is different.

And thx :)

If i would be so relentless in things that matter...

(Someone had to do it, yer know. Weighing out things. Im like that.).

Are you sure we watched the same movie, Christian?

Probably not. My reality differs from you in many ways. Probably the least of which is the differences in Conan movies between your vision and my own vision.

I mean, really when you get to the heart of it, they aren't so very different. It's just the little things I notice, which can be big things for me. Of course, you're used to those little things and wouldn't notice them because it has always been your reality.

Ah! But, you've tricked me again, you see....I've lost focus on the plot!

While certainly there would be uproar from the cult of Howard over your sacrilige, we here at Hellblazer could only hope for a movie as faithful as Conan when it came to Constantine.

Remember, the difference between the trivality and our own objections to Constantine!

I just recently re-watched it and it does hold up pretty well. The music rocks and the cinematography is beautiful. Although Sandra Bernhardht (sp?) isn't as hot to me now as she was when I was 12.

Ha! You mean "Sandahl Bergman" not "Sandra Bernhardt," the raging lesbian and mannish-faced comic actor.

I was going to say, "I would never have had a crush on her even at age 12, and I don't remember her showing up in Conan anyway!"

HA!

I was confused.

That blonde chick was hot, but annoying has hell. I wanted Conan to smack her hard and say "SHUT UP WOMAN!!" :lol:

Some day, I shall destroy you for this.

And I shall incinerate whats left. All that is required is for Rogan to profane the remains.

Btw, Hagren, I just had to point out - I think its rather unfortunate that there is no possibility for your opinion on something to change. People change their minds on regular basis, whether about movies or something else. I myself have changed opinions about movies upon rewatching them after a period of time and I daresay this is true for everyone else on the forum. Setting your opinion in cast iron simply out of being defensive from all the ribbing would be an unfortunate position to take. This is in response to the line in your post "what i feel or think cant be undone even by myself". If I misinterpreted it, apologies.

Actually, I think Hagren had a psychotic break and killed a person who claimed Constantine was shite. I'm pretty sure that's what he is referring to there.

On a serious note:

Tastes can certainly change with age or experience too, Hagren.

I know!

Quote:

"(Though they could in other cases, because i want to learn)"

What i wanted to say was, that i always think about what everyone says, and try to view it in such fashion, but i still didnt change my opinion on this particular film.

But of course i changed it on many others- Spiderman, X-Men for example (From bad to good).

Thats why i always say that creating an opinion is a very high-layered process of many things incalculated, n therefore it can change.

What i wanted to say with the line you posted was that i cant do anything against my impressions while watching a film.

Though i have to add that while you cant be on a public forum as a never changing rock and eventually its only good if you think about peoples opinions, i hate it when some individuals have a biased or uneligible opinion for several reasons, and fight - or never add their own two cents- blindly in discussions.

All that is required is for Rogan to profane the remains.

I can cover that one if needs be. I'll profane 'em up good.

I honestly don't care how faithful Conan The Barbarian is to the original Howard stories, because it's a fucking AWESOME film. If the same had been true of Constanteen, I'd be saying the same about that. Making a good film is more important than absolute fidelity to the source material - although a solid combination of both would be preferable, if you can only have one of the two I know which I'd prefer every time.

True. Imagine a crappy comic. No really imagine it. Now ask yourself why would one want a faithful adaptation of it. A crappy movie? If the movie is entertaining, it doesn't really matter how close to the source material it is.

The day will come when I will disagree with you, Tambouriner. But I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

True. Imagine a crappy comic. No really imagine it. Now ask yourself why would one want a faithful adaptation of it. A crappy movie? If the movie is entertaining, it doesn't really matter how close to the source material it is.

Yeah, but Conan was an awesome comic, until Roy Thomas left! ;)

Conan the Barbarian is one of the greatest movies ever made. I wrote a song about it. It goes like this.

It's cold outside

ahhh-ahhh

It's warm inside

ahhh-ahhh

Come and sit by my fire

ahhh-ahhh

Come and sit for a while

His name is Conan

He roams across the land

Searching for two snakes

And the dude that killed his mom

They killed his mom